Up until now I have been using this tuner: http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/prod/TU80/Boss_TU-80_Tuner_and_Metronome.aspx

It is the BIGGEST piece of *insert 1 million swear words* I could've ever imagined! It only works properly if you plug it in to your amp (1 cable), and then your guitar (another cable). If you just plug it into your guitar, it tunes a bit off. Without plugging in, it doesnt tune at all. Ridiculous!

My iPhone, using a program called Cleartune Chromatic Tuner, even tunes more accurately without the need to plug the guitar into an amp, or into the iPhone. It tunes, more or less, completely unplugged.

Sorry for my frustration I had to let that out.

Here's the store I'm buying it from with the list of my options: http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/prodcat/Guitar_Accessories/General_Accessories/Tuners.aspx

Basically: WHICH tuner actually is able to tune accurately WITHOUT the need to plug your guitar into the tuner, or into an amp? i.e. Which one can tune completely unplugged.
WTF dude, I have the TU80 and it's THE BEST TUNER AROUND!!!!!!!! obviously you have to plug the instrument for it to work...
Get this, and start off your pedal board with it. I don't see why you don't want a tuner that you have to have plugged into your guitar and amp? It makes tuning easier and faster on the fly. Don't have to bother with unhooking cables, finding the tuner, and plugging that in, then re-plugging everything into your amp.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
None, you always need to plug in to accurately tune an electric because they aren't loud enough acoustically.

The clip on ones that pick up vibrations from the headstock work okay but they're still a bit flakey from time to time especially in noisy environments, should be adequate for home practice though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
None, you always need to plug in to accurately tune an electric because they aren't loud enough acoustically.

The clip on ones that pick up vibrations from the headstock work okay but they're still a bit flakey from time to time especially in noisy environments, should be adequate for home practice though.

Wow thats awkward, considering an iPhone tuner works fine without having it plugged in :S
I guarantee the pedal tuners are more accurate though. Every guitarist should have one. The clip on ones are ok too.
Quote by Privet Tovarish
Wow thats awkward, considering an iPhone tuner works fine without having it plugged in :S

If t's so great, why not use your iPhone all the time then?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks

you're never going to reliably tune an unamplfied electric using an acoustic tuner - I doubt you'll find anyone on this site who thinks otherwise.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

you're never going to reliably tune an unamplfied electric using an acoustic tuner - I doubt you'll find anyone on this site who thinks otherwise.

Well that sucks, you know what you're talking about so no point arguing. iPhone it is then
What music are you playing when it sounds out of tune ? If it's metal then you might want to lower your strings tuning just a little bit below pitch-perfect. After all, if you pick the strings harder than usual the pitch will be off. Just the way strings work.

If this isn't it, just keep a Tu-3 in your signal path, those are quite accurate. Unplugging everything is a hassle anyway, not a single live performer does it on stage lol.
Quote by Lord_Doku
What music are you playing when it sounds out of tune ? If it's metal then you might want to lower your strings tuning just a little bit below pitch-perfect. After all, if you pick the strings harder than usual the pitch will be off. Just the way strings work.

If this isn't it, just keep a Tu-3 in your signal path, those are quite accurate. Unplugging everything is a hassle anyway, not a single live performer does it on stage lol.

I tip my strings as lightly as possible when tuning
Quote by Privet Tovarish
I tip my strings as lightly as possible when tuning

He means while your are playing
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
You don't need to plug anything in for clip-ons. It picks up the vibration in the guitar to tune it.
Quote by MeTallIcA313
You don't need to plug anything in for clip-ons. It picks up the vibration in the guitar to tune it.

That's the way to go then ay?
Quote by Privet Tovarish

Not really. It might still tune, but you will get a FAR more accurate signal going straight in.

Yes some clip on tuners are pretty solid, but I've never been a big fan of those.

I don't understand WHY you are averse to plugging your guitar in...All you have to do to tune then is to depress a switch....

Something like the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner is about as accurate as you can get.
Quote by denied
Not really. It might still tune, but you will get a FAR more accurate signal going straight in.

Yes some clip on tuners are pretty solid, but I've never been a big fan of those.

I don't understand WHY you are averse to plugging your guitar in...All you have to do to tune then is to depress a switch....

Something like the Sonic Research Turbo Tuner is about as accurate as you can get.

I practice without the amplifier, theres simply no point. It makes too much noise if you practice for hours on a daily basis, as I do
To each his own. Though I've found that desensitizes you to the volume and dynamics involved in playing through an amp.

In any case, you could still plug into a tuner pedal, it's not THAT much of an effort..

If something like the Turbo Tuner is two expensive, other accurate options are the Boss TU3, GFS tuner, and korg pitchblack.
Quote by Privet Tovarish
Do the clip-ons work without the need to plug the guitar in?

Yep, but there are microphone versions and versions that sense vibration. I have both and the microphonic versions are marginal at best.

The Snark clip on works extremely well, at least for me.

But I wouldn't use either type in a live setting, that's what the tuner pedals are for.
Snarks are pretty sweet. Make sure you get the Red one though as that his a microphone as well.