Hello, my guitar buzzes a bit lately, and it doesn't stop no matter how high my action is. It's actually quite high right now, at arround 2.5mm maybe more.

So, since raising the bridge doesn't help, I suppose it's the truss rod that needs adjustment. How do I need to adjust it? the buzz is found on the three lower strings, from frets 1 to 15.
Ibanez RG821 + Ibanez TS9
Peavey Vypyr 30 + Sanpera

My song covers on YouTube
What kind of guitar is it and what gauge of strings are you using?
Truss rod adjustments usually don't fix fret buzz that much. If raising the action doesn't work, your nut could be the problem. The nut might be worn down too much so the string sits lower than it should. Causing it to be too close to the fret board.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Hey,

Worn? this guitar is new. It's an M-1000 with locking nut system.
Strings are gauge 9, standard tuning.

Last edited by zefs at Jul 31, 2011,
As I wrote from fret 1 to 15, on all three low strings.

My neck is a little bit bowed. The bow seem to begin from around frets 7-12 all the way to first fret.

The action on first fret is quite low, on comparison to the 12-15 frets, so I suppose that's the reason it's buzzing. Should I tighten the truss rod a bit?

Thing is the frets seem pretty even when you look from the bridge all the way down to the nut.

I just tighten the truss rod a bit, which is pretty loose by the way, and the buzz got even worse. I will let it sit for about an hour and will check again.

The action is , 2.5 bass - 2 treble

Last edited by zefs at Aug 1, 2011,
Do fat strings buzz more? I have little buzz on the 3rd string on fret 19 or something. Very little sustain on the higher notes, but the action is already too high. I want to lower it.
Did you measure the neck bow before you adjusted the truss rod? If you are tightening, it will have the reverse effect to what you want. If it feels too loose, it's either a one way truss rod, or it needs to be loosened some more until it starts to bow the neck the other way.

What size strings do you use?
Last edited by W4RP1G at Aug 1, 2011,
No I didn't measure it, just looked at it with the eye. But why is it the opposite?
Since it's bowed and buzzes, I have to give it back bow right? So tighten it, no?

Try starting with the simplest thing first...ok, you are using .009 gauge strings, in what tuning? How hard are you hitting the strings? How bad is the fret buzz? Is it just a light buzz, or a horrible can't play anything but buzz buzz?

I highly doubt your guitar needs a truss rod adjustment right from the factory, I think you are overblowing a simple issue.

2.5 mm is not high action, it's about medium.
Tightening it will increase back-bow, meaning you're increasing neck relief. increasing neck relief will bring the strings closer to the fret. Moving the strings closer to the frets can increase buzz. That kind of buzz is usually apparent in the lower frets, I don't know about all the way up to fret 15 though.

You could also have a high fret somewhere. You can try fretting each fret until the fret buzz stops. The fret that doesn't buzz could be a high fret.
Alright will do that and post again tomorrow, thanks.

Quote by zefs
Thing is the frets seem pretty even when you look from the bridge all the way down to the nut.

You wont be able to see the difference by eye. The uneven fret could be as less as 1mm or less higher than the others and I dont think you could notice it. A tech/luthier would use some tools to determine if you need a fret work or not.

I have my bass side set to 2.9mm and treble to 1.5mm and it's the lower I can go. I cant afford a luthier right now to take a look at it but I'm sure there's bad fret work somewhere around the neck because I know the bass could go lower otherwise.

Really, I wouldnt mess a lot with the truss rod. It wont do magic. Take it to a tech to take a look
Quote by 1990EAM
Really, I wouldnt mess a lot with the truss rod. It wont do magic. Take it to a tech to take a look

This is true for the most part. I see taking a guitar to a tech like taking a car to a mechanic. You're putting your trust into someone that supposedly knows what they're doing and hoping they are honest, but you really don't know what going to happen. He could be desperate enough for cash to tell you that you need a full fret leveling when you only need a few minor tweaks that you could do yourself. And if he sees that you can't even competently adjust a truss rod, he may use your ignorance to scam you.

This is why I do my own work, both on my vehicles and my guitars.
Quote by W4RP1G
This is true for the most part. I see taking a guitar to a tech like taking a car to a mechanic. You're putting your trust into someone that supposedly knows what they're doing and hoping they are honest, but you really don't know what going to happen. He could be desperate enough for cash to tell you that you need a full fret leveling when you only need a few minor tweaks that you could do yourself. And if he sees that you can't even competently adjust a truss rod, he may use your ignorance to scam you.

This is why I do my own work, both on my vehicles and my guitars.

I understand. I said the same to myself when I bought this guitar and it was the first time I had a FR in my hands.

But anyway, if you have any friends that play the guitar the might know a trusty one.