Which ones do u guys recommend? Im looking at ones that are the most versatile (lots of effects). I researched and im thinking either Boss ME-70 or ME-25. Good choice? Or wat else? Budget is $300 or less.
I'd just use that 300$ to start building a pedal board. But a decent pedal board will be more expensive in the long run
Quote by rob904
I'd just use that 300$ to start building a pedal board. But a decent pedal board will be more expensive in the long run

Suggestions for starting a pedalboard? Types of pedals? etc.
I had an ME-50 for about 4 years, and it was really good. Not as good as a full board, but close enough.

TS, I'd buy a multieffects now, and use it to figure out what you like. That will save you from buying individual pedals and then finding out that you never use them. The ME-70 is pretty good, i'd go for that.

Wow, I just looked and they are 300 bucks. Thats fantastic. I paid over 400 for me ME-50 back in the day, and the 70 has a fair few more features. Keep in mind that $300 buys you 2-4 good single effect boxes...
Quote by Leek
Suggestions for starting a pedalboard? Types of pedals? etc.

Well it's always good to start with a boost/overdrive. The ibanez tube screamer, or any maxxon ODs are a pretty good place to start. MXR also has some decent overdrives. Depending on the music you play you might need a supressor/noise gate, ISP makes some kickass supressors. If your amp doesn't have reverb, you'll want a reverb. Delay and echo pedals can be used similarly to reverb. Also a wah is a mainstay on almost any pedal board, even if you don't use it much.
If you're a starter who hasn't got any previous gear, then yes: the boss is probably a good idea, but because there's LOTS of people who start off with a multi-effects pedal and then move on to more "conventional" pedal boards there's like a million of these units (most of are being ditched after just 1 or 2 years, and they usually haven't been used for gigging either) on eBay for ridiculously reasonable prices. Maybe it's a good idea to check out the internets first. You might run into some real gems

I'm actually considering the purchase of a multi-effects unit myself, even though I got rid of my first Digitech RP unit many years ago -> the Line 6 M6 and M13 boards. I already moved on to my higher-end wah, tuner, od/distortion, compressor and volume pedals which I LOVE, so I really don't need a unit which carries millions of digital effects + an expression pedal: I just want some really good ones and it's much cheaper to get one an M6 or M13 than to individually purchase the FM4, DL4, MM4, etc. individually

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Jul 31, 2011,
Quote by rob904
Well it's always good to start with a boost/overdrive. The ibanez tube screamer, or any maxxon ODs are a pretty good place to start. MXR also has some decent overdrives. Depending on the music you play you might need a supressor/noise gate, ISP makes some kickass supressors. If your amp doesn't have reverb, you'll want a reverb. Delay and echo pedals can be used similarly to reverb. Also a wah is a mainstay on almost any pedal board, even if you don't use it much.

I think i will get a multi-effects first now. but i'll remember this start-off advice for when i invest on a pedal board maybe 2 years later.
The second I saw the subject of this thread I jumped on board to tote the ME-50. It is amazingly versatile, I've been using it for almost 3 years now. I haven't used it much for gigging (though only because it doesn't really match the style of the band I play guitar in), but it's still great for getting interesting sounds. The great thing about multi-effects is that after using them for awhile you get a great idea of which effects you do or do not use regularly, so if you ever want to start using a more elaborate pedal-board setup you will not waste money on effects you virtually never use.
I highly recommend the digitech rp355. http://www.digitech.com/en/products/rp355 It's got a great sound and has many more features than the me50 and 70. If you head over to the digitech thread in my sig, you can ask us questions about it.

If you go to my profile, all the clips are from the rp355.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 31, 2011,
If you look hard enough, you may be able to get a Boss GT-10 for around $300, maybe a little more. I own/use one daily and gig with it. Everything you could possibly desire in one unit. And obviously, multi-effects just don't cut it as well as conventional pedals, but the GT is as close as I've gotten for a reasonable price. I've also owned a Line 6 HD500 and some Digitech models, but they don't get as close as to versatility and originality. So if you want to use a ME pedal, I'd suggest the GT-10. But if you want to start up your own pedalboard as mentioned above, that would be a good idea as well, but expensive and tedious as you must find the exact pedals you want for the sound you want.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

+1 to the GT-10. It's a serious pedal. But you probably won't be able to find it for $300.

The ME-70 is pretty good for the price. It sounds a lot better than the ME-50. I wouldn't get a 50 when you can get the 70.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It'll be hard to find the gt-10 for $300. But it is possible though.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Last edited by kutless999 at Jul 31, 2011,
A GT-8 would work too. I got my GT-10 for $350 off Craigslist, still with the box and, stickers, and plastic sleeve it came in. The 6 and 8 are very good too, just not as in depth or as user friendly as the 10.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12