Poll: How Well Can You Tab Out a Song by Ear?
Poll Options
View poll results: How Well Can You Tab Out a Song by Ear?
Very Good
7 10%
Good
14 19%
Alright
15 21%
I can tab out some of the song
15 21%
Crap
22 30%
Voters: 73.
It depends on how long I have to transcribe it and the complexity of the song. In general for the music I like and listen to very accurately.
It takes me a while. I wish I was better.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
It depends on the band. Certain bands tend to work within the same handful of scales through the majority of their work, and the music of those bands I can transcribe relatively easily.
i'd like to point out, if you want to be better at transcribing, you should train your ear to recognise intervals. musictheory.net has a cool exercising tool for just that.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by sashki
I'm trying to learn to do it. I can get riffs down but not solos. Too fast.
I want to contribute more tabs to UG, but every song I transcribe has already been done.

The last time I tried to submit a tab was several years ago before I had any idea what I was doing. I submitted it, thinking I was a boss, and then was horrified into oblivion when I saw it got a two star rating.
Quote by sashki
I'm trying to learn to do it. I can get riffs down but not solos. Too fast.
I want to contribute more tabs to UG, but every song I transcribe has already been done.

For getting started, I recommend you check out Transcribe. Basically you enter the song you want and slow it down for those faster licks and solos
Quote by laid-to-waste
i'd like to point out, if you want to be better at transcribing, you should train your ear to recognise intervals. musictheory.net has a cool exercising tool for just that.

Yup. I use this site a lot. This is good advice if you wanna get better.
I can count on one hand the songs I taught myself by ear
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
For getting started, I recommend you check out Transcribe. Basically you enter the song you want and slow it down for those faster licks and solos

But that's cheating.

BACK IN MY DAY WE DIDN'T HAVE NO FANCY SHMANCY SOFTWARE TO SLOW STUFF DOWN. WE JUST HAD SLOWER MUSIC. NOT LIKE YOU SHREDDY WANKERS THESE DAYS.
I normally just do it for bands that don't have tabs up like Mother Vulpine and Warpaint.
very well. a few years ago i read tabs but now that i have more knowledge of chords, a more developed ear, and am more technically proficient i find that i like figuring things out for myself. i recorded an "album" of pretty much direct and faithful covers of pokemon songs and learned all the parts by listening to them repeatedly...check it out: http://www.purevolume.com/thisistheconcept/albums/Get+Your+PP+Up.
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by sashki
But that's cheating.

BACK IN MY DAY WE DIDN'T HAVE NO FANCY SHMANCY SOFTWARE TO SLOW STUFF DOWN. WE JUST HAD SLOWER MUSIC. NOT LIKE YOU SHREDDY WANKERS THESE DAYS.

er, you slow down Vinyl - down tune your guitar work it out then tune back up

Done.

And to TS
I can transcibe pretty well, depends how bothered i am with doing it. I used to work out everything myself, now i'll look at some tabs and if there is something wrong with them i'll just work out the right bit. Or if no tabs exist, i could work out some fast stuff well without slowing it down.

Sometimes i works stuff out just for funs.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Last edited by W4T3V3R at Jul 31, 2011,
I can tab out songs pretty well by ear nowadays. That has made me critical about the tabs here at UG. I spot mistakes in 99% of them

It's time consuming though.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
crap

I've figured out a few little bits, but they took me way too long for such a short amount.

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I can count on one hand the songs I taught myself by ear

I can count on my penis all the full songs I've learned by ear
Last edited by byob_soad2 at Jul 31, 2011,
Quote by sashki
But that's cheating.

I'm lost as to how that's considered cheating?
most people don't have the ability to transcribe every line perfect from the recording the first time. Most people if they transcribe using the same exact speed on the recording waste a lot of time this way. These programs expedite the learning process in my opinion. It's like saying using a calculator is cheating

Whatever tools are at your disposal are fair game as long as the work is being done by the user
Last edited by dlguitarmaster7 at Jul 31, 2011,