how to read a chord chart better.. the only thing i dont understand is when a line shows up on a chord and i dont know what its for
That is a barre chord I think you are talking about.

for example if you play an E major. you are playing a combination of open notes and the ones you are pressing with your fingers. At the end of your fret board where the strings finish is called a nut.

If you slide that E major shape up one fret you now need to place a finger across the first fret to create an artificial nut this shape is your first barre chord and it is called.... F major, slide again you got F#, and again you got G and so on..

Hope this makes some sense (check out some theory in books and online) and good luck
Last edited by watermen at Jul 31, 2011,