Howdy UG,
I'm looking at a warm, vintage guitar to compliment my rather bright RR. Hopefully once Ive bought this guitar, it can be my Old Country, Blues, Classic Hard Rock guitar and my RR can be my Drop D Classic Metal guitar, instead of my RR just being average at everything else. So I'm looking at a lot of nice Epi's between $400 and $600 USD.

I play Classic Rock in the vein of George Thorogood, ZZ Top, or The Georgia Satellites. Very Bluesy, lots of crunch, lots of slide guitar, I IV V kinda boogie feeling.
For reference: "Move It On Over/ It Wasn't Me/ I Drink Alone" by Thorogood, "Tush" by ZZ Top, "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On" by Georgia Satellites.

For the record, I have played an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and I have played a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul. The Gibson was a nice guitar, sounded nice, felt nice. But I didn't drop to my knees screaming "I am not worthy!" (as some would suggest you should) and it certainly wasnt worth thousands and thousands of dollars to me.

The guitars I am considering are:
Epiphone Dot: $400, + bone nut, good tuners, decent pups= $520
Epiphone ES 175: $500
Epiphone Sheraton II: $600
*Epiphone LP Standard: $400, + bone nut, good tuners= $440

*There were many more LP's in the $400-$600 range (1954, 1956, Traditional, Custom), many seemed incredibly similar except for better hardware and stuff that I didnt care about like "awesome" finishes, etc. Is there such a difference in wood quality between Epi's? Or is it all things I can fix myself like electronics and hardware?

The $600 (Sheraton and LP Custom) would have to be just about perfect out of the box, with no need for immediate changes, as they are at the top of what I am willing to spend. The cheaper ones allow me to do whatever I need to them, No matter what I will definitely get whatever guitar I get professionally set up.

So UG, give me your opinions on these guitars, other than the Standard I havn't ever played these guitars. Particularly if you've played one or more of them. I live in the USA, for questions of location.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jul 31, 2011,
Epiphone G-400 + Decent Pickups + better tuners = <$500
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Maybe save a few more cash and buy something better? :O
I think you should go to a guitar store and try every guitar on your list...
Living is a bless, most of the people just exist

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
I just realized- $600 could easily get a used GIBSON LP Studio, or faded SG
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
larson8er, Not at all interested in an SG, its just too small and Im not really crazy about the look. Thanks for the suggestion though.

gutu, I had originally expected to be looking at guitars in the $800 area for what I was looking for, but the Epi LP Standard really impressed me with its quality and value for the money. And since it's at the bottom of my budget, I wanted to look at a few more that were sonically and visually appealing to me, and might cost a bit more, to see which one really did the job.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jul 31, 2011,
I have been wanting an ES-175 for a few years, thats my choice. But you can't go wrong with a LP.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Your style of music sounds like you might want P90's. An Epiphone 50's Goldtop, Riviera Custom, or used ES-295 (if you could find one) would be spectacular for that.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
^Ive listened to some P90 guitars and really like the way they sing in the neck position for lead. But maybe it's just the Epi 1956 I was listening to but rhythm playing lower on the neck suffered considerably. And since I can't get a P90 in the neck and a bucker in the bridge (output differences and all that) I considered a Duncan P Rails.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 1, 2011,