does anyone know of an amp modeler (such as a POD) out there that ONLY models an amp, and doesnt have all the effects built in? i need a modeler for smaller performances and easy set up. i use a good number of pedals that im pretty happy with, and id rather save the money i would have spent on all the extras that ill never use. I dont even need the various amp models, only ONE since i rely on overdrive pedals alot. any input would be greatly appreciated.
Get a good tube amp. Amp modeling is just glorified equalization anyhow. If you're not going to use several models that they provide, why don't you just buy a regular amp?
Quote by NosralTserrof
You can not use the effects, you know......

exactly
I bought a POD 2.0 on craigslist for $25 just to mess around with it. It has a "bypass" and compressor if you dont want to use effects. You also get the amp and cab modelling. I'm not sure what advantage (price, ease of use, funtionality??)you might have by withholding the effects in any other type unit.
How about suggesting something instead of the requisite" modelers are 4 n00bs! get a t00b amp!"?

Tech 21 makes good modelers that are just amps, check them out.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jul 31, 2011,
gah why not just not use the effects?!

I don't know which thread is more stupid, this one or the one where the guy claims his 15 watt amp is too loud....
There are dozens of great pedals that are designed to be used as clean or distortion preamps. Some are intended to be used with power amps and a cabinet, others right into a PA system. Your best bet is to figure out what sounds you need and ask over at Harmony Central where people actually know about gear—at UG all you'll get are kids who can't think beyond “JUST TURN DOWN UR T00bZ!”
I have a number very nice "real amps" the advantage of the modeler is not having to deal with micing etc. for short gigs where its not even worth it to go through the process of sculpting my sound exactly the way i want it. and yes, i might just go ahead and get the POD HD, and never touch the effects... I figured i might be able to get something without effects and get more for my money. thanks for the replies
Quote by W4RP1G
gah why not just not use the effects?!

I don't know which thread is more stupid, this one or the one where the guy claims his 15 watt amp is too loud....

because, I already have the effects in PEDAL FORM which i favor over the preset ones in PODs
Quote by mrockandrave
because, I already have the effects in PEDAL FORM which i favor over the preset ones in PODs

Then don't use the effects. Boom. I'm a ****ing genius
Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncan SH-6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Frontman 25r (crappy)
MXR CAE WAH
Digitech HardWire TL-2 Metal Distortion (Makes the amp sound not shitty)
not sure if you guys are just reading part of my comments or what, but the point would be to SAVE MONEY by getting something without effects. and yes, i know you can adjust them i own one. but the built in effects are no where near the quality of pedals.
Quote by mrockandrave
not sure if you guys are just reading part of my comments or what, but the point would be to SAVE MONEY by getting something without effects. and yes, i know you can adjust them i own one. but the built in effects are no where near the quality of pedals.

Gotcha. I don't know if the effects really drive up the price though, a lot of these companies have been putting things like delay and chorus in amps of pedals for years. And if they went through the trouble to make a digital modeler, then I don't think it would be any extra trouble to throw in the effects they already have. I get what you're saying though.

Personally, I think modelers are nothing more than a practice amp for someone that doesn't know what tone they like yet. The real goal is to get the real amp in the end.
yeah, i see what you mean. there has to be something out there for what i need. maybe a DI box or modeling software or something,,,
uhh it's a dsp.

it's not like it costs them more to put in effects.

you get extra 1s and 0s for free.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Line 6 HD147.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X