so for months now I have literally become obsessed with my picking(in a bad way) because I wanted to try and make it perfect and I just ended up interpreting every little movement I made thinking am I doing it right and now I can't play with out thinking about playing instead just doing it and playing (do you know what I mean?). so when I do try to play (kind of lost my entire ability to play through out this year due to the reason I stated above) I try to treat every note on every string the same and keep everything in sync and everything muted, apart from the note i'm playing of course etc. but a lot of people say your supposed to only use your wrist. i don't see how this is possible. if you stick/root your forearm to the body of the guitar and only use your wrist as your going across the strings your wrist is going to be getting at a greater and greater angle and by time you reach your high e your wrist is going to be bent all up and feel and sound crap, right? so i've been using my wirst for picking but then lifting my arm up, or even just not relaxing my arm at all and moving my forearm little at every string change so i have the same hand position at every string but this hurts my shoulder like a bi*ch and nothing seems to work and I guess I have got into a huge obsessive rut which has done huge damage to my playing so if any one could give me a detailed description on how to alternate pick, like where to place your arm, hand position, if you do indeed just use only your wrist or you do need to do something different for the string change etc. this would be much appreciated. (sorry if i babbled on a bit )
Back and forth, back and forth. I rest the heel of my palm on the bridge. If you can sweep, maybe you've heard of finger rolling? Do that but with the heel of your palm..
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

The idea is indeed that you use your wrist for the picking motion and use the elbow muscles to keep your hand in a good position relative to the strings. Your hand doesn't have to be completely floating off the guitar, just touching it isn't a bad thing

If your shoulder is hurting I would think that you're probably tensing up somewhere along your arm however it's very difficult to tell you what you're doing wrong without actually watching you play, any way you can post a video?

Quote by StrykVladzimsky
Back and forth, back and forth. I rest the heel of my palm on the bridge. If you can sweep, maybe you've heard of finger rolling? Do that but with the heel of your palm..

I don't even know what you mean by this but it certainly doesn't sound right...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jul 31, 2011,
You should pick the string using wrist motion and place your hand over the string that needs to be picked by moving your arm at the elbow.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
When people say "use only your wrist" what they mean is that you should use your wrist as a pivot point for your picking. So the "up, down" motion is only done with your wrist. They don't mean that your should use only your wrist when playing or, as you said, your wrist would be at all sorts of weird angles. I tend to rest my hand on the bridge a little bit on the way down the strings, and on the way up my arm is usually floating just above the bridge. I find it easier to avoid getting caught on your way up with a flaoting hand. Again, thats just my style and pretty much every guitar player has their own individual technique. When I was studying picking early on I watched lots of Paul Gilbert videos. If you want to pick like anyone, you want to pick like him.
Totally disregard that post, I didn't really understand it myself after reading it. Sorry..
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

^ Long with what he posted
Watch the other videos Freepower is posted
Very Knowledgeable and will help you!
Also, watch videos by Paul Gilbert, John Petrucci, and Al Di Meloa

They're pretty much the picking masters

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
OP, don't loose heart if you can't play anymore :P The secret of your problem (over analyzing your picking) is practice the right way. With time, you'll get used to the proper way. I know, it's stressful how you feel like a beginner again, but we are always beginners if you do something wrong. That's why it's so important to learn things the right way.

And at any rate, if you know how to play well with a bad picking technique, you'll be able to learn how to play well with a good picking technique faster than if you were just a beginner for realz. It just doesn't seem like that, I know :P Keep at it.
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm