This may come across as a rather amateur question, but I would really appreciate an answer to a problem that has been plaguing me for months, if someone could help me?

I have a Squier Telecaster Custom, a Fender Classic Player Jaguar HH and another low-price-range Squier Telecaster that I picked up new, but for £80.

Whenever I play these guitars in a rehearsal space, or at home and have the volume over a certain (quite quiet) level, they start to feed back uncontrollably - basically any time I don't have my hands on the strings to mute them...even when playing!

I mostly play rock music, using a Marshall Valvestate head and 4x12 cabinet - I use the distortion built in to the head and usually only have the gain set around 4/5 (I believe).

I have an Epiphone Les Paul, Gibson SG and various other guitars that do not have this problem...

I have been told that, a) the pickups on all three brand new guitars are all ruined and need to be changed (something I doubt very much), or b) I would be able to solve this problem using a Noise Gate pedal, such as an ISP Decimator/G-Sting.

Obviously, I don't think that the pickups can be dead in all three on their first attempts being played, so would the pedal solve this problem? If not, what could I do?

If anyone could help with this problem, I would be eternally grateful!
Conor, would you say that the NS-2 is the best I could buy? I've heard great things about it, but at the same time, I've heard excellent things about the ISP Decimator and ISP Decimator G-String pedals too!

I'm glad to hear that the pedal seems to be the way to go!!!
ISP all the way, if you have the money ofcourse. Excellent pedal and it won't colour/hinder your tone like that NS-2 would.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Adam, would you recommend the Decimator pedal or the G-Sting pedal for this problem? Is one markedly better than the other for what I need it to do?

It's quite a gap in price and I can't really see the difference!!!
the Decimator, unless you are running alot of FX. The G string has a set up similar to the NS-2, it will supress the signal from the front end and through the FX loop as well.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
plus all the guitars you listed that squeel are single coil, the ones that are quiet are humbuckers.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What people like myself do that play loud so we can get feedback on purpose is we wind the volume back on the guitar at the end of the song. It's a tried and true technique.
Do you think Hendrix had a noise gate? He was playing a lot louder than you ever will be and he seemed to cope ok.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 31, 2011,
If you have the funds, the ISP g string is the best noise gate pedal i think. so go for that if you can.

the advantagde of that one is that you can wire it in front of the amp to controll feedback from the guitar, and after the amps preamp section too so it takes out amp hiss.
Guys, I'm not entirely sure what people are talking about when they are trying to pull me what the G-String can do, over the Decimator...sorry!

"the advantagde of that one is that you can wire it in front of the amp to controll feedback from the guitar, and after the amps preamp section too so it takes out amp hiss."

and

"the Decimator, unless you are running alot of FX. The G string has a set up similar to the NS-2, it will supress the signal from the front end and through the FX loop as well."

Can someone simplify this for me? Sorry guys, I'm really appreciative of all the help! Thank you all!
I personally like having feedback when I stop playing, so inbetween songs I just engage my tuner which acts as a muter for it.

EDIT: Or mute it at the Guitar
so when you turn on your amp and tur the volume off on you guitar, if you have a tube amp you will most likely notice a hiss or humming in the background that isnt coming from the guitar or any other effects plugged in. its not because of bad cables either. its your amps pre amp section working. some amp have it worse than others and usually it doesnt get really noticable unless you turn the amp up loud.

some amps have it really bad like the 6505 series where it is a necessity. (mine is the 6534+ which supposedly has a built in noise reduction circuit and i still need one badly at band volumes).

so if dont have a hiss you probably dont need the G string version.
Quote by piroko
Guys, I'm not entirely sure what people are talking about when they are trying to pull me what the G-String can do, over the Decimator...sorry!

"the advantagde of that one is that you can wire it in front of the amp to controll feedback from the guitar, and after the amps preamp section too so it takes out amp hiss."

and

"the Decimator, unless you are running alot of FX. The G string has a set up similar to the NS-2, it will supress the signal from the front end and through the FX loop as well."

Can someone simplify this for me? Sorry guys, I'm really appreciative of all the help! Thank you all!

Firstly the G string will control the horrible feedback you're getting. It will also cut out amp hiss (It sounds like shhhhhhhhhh, white noise kind of sound )
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Awesome stuff - cheers for the help, everyone! Shall look into getting the ISP Decimator G-String and hope that this will solve the problem.

Thanks again!