Hey everyone. Seppie here. I recently acquired my first Jackson Warrior WRXT, equipped with a Floyd Rose trem. It was in standard tuning when I got it, and I managed to down-tune it to Drop-D.

However, I am now trying to tune up to D#/Eb Standard.

I can tune it fine, but when I'm done tuning the high Eb string, the low Eb and Ab has turned back into E and A. Can anyone please help?
You an RMVX Fan? Click it, bish.
[RMVX Profile]

This post brought to you thoughtfully by Seppie.
Adjust it using the bridge tuners.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

to change tunings on a floyd rose:
Tune E
Tune A
Tune E again
Tune A again
Tune E again
Wash, rinse & repeat going down all strings.
you will probably have to adjust the springs to keep the FR level and floating.
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
Or block the tremolo. You'll be able to switch tunings "normally" but not use the tremolo in the other tunings
Quote by larson8er
to change tunings on a floyd rose:
Tune E
Tune A
Tune E again
Tune A again
Tune E again
Wash, rinse & repeat going down all strings.
you will probably have to adjust the springs to keep the FR level and floating.

This
With a Floyd equiped guitar, you don't want to swtich tunnings all the time. As you have learned, it can be a pain in the ass.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Thanks for the answers.

@Stryk
Tried it first, then tried the head tuners

@larson
I have tried that. That's how I got it to Drop-D in the first place.

@Rain
How can you block the tremolo? First floyd I've owned. And do you mean I'll be able to change tunings using the head tuners, but not the bridge tuners, or that I can use the trem like a normal trem, only down?

@Kosh
I realize. I have had it in Drop-D, Drop-C, and standard. However, I wanna tune it down to Eb Standard now for Disturbed songs. I've tried using just the bridge tuning.
[RMVX Profile]

You can buy a Tremol-No, which is very versatile

http://www.tremol-no.com/

On Youtube they have videos that guide you through the installation and one that shows you how it works (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZnipHc1ec)

Or you can simply stick a piece of wood in there that will prevent the tremolo from moving. You should probably ask a luthier to do this for you though.

Now, somebody correct me if I'm wrong (I'm interested in this as well) but if you block the tremolo with one the methods above, you can from then on just tune your guitar like you would a hardtail, just turning the pegs, as the springs from the trem are no longer pulling on the strings. The downside to this is that you can't actually use the tremolo while the guitar is blocked
Quote by Rainmaker31
You can buy a Tremol-No, which is very versatile

http://www.tremol-no.com/

On Youtube they have videos that guide you through the installation and one that shows you how it works (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZnipHc1ec)

Or you can simply stick a piece of wood in there that will prevent the tremolo from moving. You should probably ask a luthier to do this for you though.

Now, somebody correct me if I'm wrong (I'm interested in this as well) but if you block the tremolo with one the methods above, you can from then on just tune your guitar like you would a hardtail, just turning the pegs, as the springs from the trem are no longer pulling on the strings. The downside to this is that you can't actually use the tremolo while the guitar is blocked

MY GOD! I can't afford that right now. I just traded in my Squier P-Bass, Squier Bullet and Dean ML X for the Warrior WRXT w/ Coffin Case.
[RMVX Profile]

It's expensive, yes, but supposedly worth it.
I tried ordering from Amazon for U$ 50, but got refunded, IDK if they were out of stock or what.

That's a nice guitar you've gotten yourself, btw, congrats. =)
Thanks. I was looking for a Jackson Randy-style V but the local shop didn't have it. So I got a deal.
[RMVX Profile]

Don't block the trem. It's such a waste of awesomeness. Just take your time to learn how to set it up properly yourself. You should really only keep it in 1 tuning style. My Jackson stays in standard E, and my Ibanez is in E with the low 7th as a B. I might change my Ibanez down to D once every 4 months or so to play some KoRn.

When did disturbed start tuning in Eb? I thought they always used drop C or C standard

Edit: if you really feel the need to block the trem, why not take it back and get a Warrior withouth one?
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Last edited by Koshman32 at Jul 31, 2011,
Can't afford another warrior, man. I'm 16, no job (no one will hire.) Besides, I love using the tremolo, but if I need to block it that's what I'll do.

They started Eb/D# on the new album, Asylum. All of it is in Eb. Except maybe 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Lookin' For' because it's a U2 cover.
[RMVX Profile]

Quote by Koshman32
Don't block the trem. It's such a waste of awesomeness. Just take your time to learn how to set it up properly yourself. You should really only keep it in 1 tuning style. My Jackson stays in standard E, and my Ibanez is in E with the low 7th as a B. I might change my Ibanez down to D once every 4 months or so to play some KoRn.

When did disturbed start tuning in Eb? I thought they always used drop C or C standard

Edit: if you really feel the need to block the trem, why not take it back and get a Warrior withouth one?

+1 Just tune it to something Eb drop D whatever and don't mess with it.

Drop D to E standard is simple get something called a D tuna

http://www.dtuna.com/

TS I'm sorry you sold everything to get the you new axe.

One of the reasons that people who use Floyd's have several instruments.

Both my floyds are setup for 9-42 ernie ball strings. I know this sounds goofy but even changing the brand of the strings you might have to make spring adjustments.

Jackson is tuned to E standard
Ibanez is tuned to Drop D

Guild Eb standard

Using Uber low tunings C drop C etc don't work well with 6 string FR bridges.

If you use strings that are heavy enough for those tunings. You'll have to tighten the springs to the point that the trem is pretty much unusable.

9-42 or 10-46 work best you can go with 10-52. Going heavier than that is a setup nightmare. It defeats the reason to have a locking trem in the first place.

FR bridges are designed to used in one tuning you set it up lock it down and leave it the hell alone.

IMHO get start replacing all the guitars you sold and just tune each one the way you want and leave it that way.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
@Willow

I know floyds are used for only one tuning. For the longest time I had it stuck in Drop-C. But I hadn't played it for two weeks and within that two week period I got more into disturbed and wanna play it.

Right now, the guitar is in Eb Ab D F A B (was tuning but got fed up.)

I'll start replacing them as soon as I get a job.
[RMVX Profile]