Horrible, just horrible.
Unless a can of bees is the sound you are going for.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've seen good write ups for MG's too and they are one of the worst amps there is. Valvestates aren't much better than an MG.
I wouldn't allow one in my house. In fact I bought a JCM900 as a spare amp just so I'd never have to jam with anybody with a Valvestate ever again. A truly dreadful amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I've seen good write ups for MG's too and they are one of the worst amps there is. Valvestates aren't much better than an MG.
I wouldn't allow one in my house. In fact I bought a JCM900 as a spare amp just so I'd never have to jam with anybody with a Valvestate ever again. A truly dreadful amp.

This

And lol to the good reviews on the MG's.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
No that amp is horrible.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
you can get decent sounds out of MG's and valvestates. you can. they're just harder to dial in. there has never been an amp where i plugged in and though "wow this amp sounds amazing" immediately. not any amp i have ever played through, and i'm talking orange, peavey, bogner, mesa/boogie, fender, carvin...

that said, i wouldn't buy one for performance because when you turn them up loud, they don't sound too hot
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by ItsThatDude
you can get decent sounds out of MG's and valvestates. you can. they're just harder to dial in. there has never been an amp where i plugged in and though "wow this amp sounds amazing" immediately. not any amp i have ever played through, and i'm talking orange, peavey, bogner, mesa/boogie, fender, carvin...

that said, i wouldn't buy one for performance because when you turn them up loud, they don't sound too hot

Your second paragraph contradicts your first one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Your second paragraph contradicts your first one.

it doesn't though. you can get them to sound good, just not when you have their volumes past 60%. and since i'm guessing this guy wants to play loud he shouldn't spend his money on one
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Last edited by ItsThatDude at Jul 31, 2011,
Quote by ItsThatDude
it doesn't though. you can get them to sound good, just not when you have their volumes past 60%. and since i'm guessing this guy wants to play loud he shouldn't spend his money on one

It can sound decent if you have a good cab, but for that price there is much better to be had.
I had an MG once in the distant past. Never agian.
Quote by ItsThatDude

Well, if somebody is thinking of buying a 150W amp he's hardly going to be playing at bedroom levels all the time. Therefore for their intended purpose, which is to play loud, you can't get a good sound out of them at all.
And anyway, I'd argue that they sound bad no matter how loud you dial them up. They're just an awful amp, end of story.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 31, 2011,
anyone can write a review and anyone will - there are idiots who don't know anything about anything who think that any piece of gear is the best thing ever just because it's what they bought, completely ignoring or not even noticing anything negative about it. that's why junk like the MG and AVT get good reviews - the people who write these good reviews just have no idea about anything tbh.

don't buy it just because "it's a marshall stack omglol", because it's just not worth having, no matter how cool it might look.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by metal head 1

well if some random dude on the internet* said it was good, then that's ok then.

(*yes i am aware of the irony)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you can DEFINITELY get a better amp for the money. mgs and avts are well... a tone death sentence, if you will.
*insert witty statement here*
Quote by TheQuailman
The same money can get you a Laney VC50 in the UK, which covers the same range of tones, but does everything ten times better.

Laney amps are great, they are a little expensive over here, but I owned a TT head for a while and it was great.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by TheQuailman
The same money can get you a Laney VC50 in the UK, which covers the same range of tones, but does everything ten times better.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheQuailman

+1
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100