So guys! Im really happy that im going to finally "audition" for a band tomorrow!
Im just gonna jam with them on their songs to see if I wanna join and if they want me in

But anyway, I´m kinda nervous, so do you guys have any tips that´ll help for a "audition"? are there any dos and donts? etc etc.

Or is ut just to go in there, do your best, and rock your socks off?

I appreciate any tips for this "joining a newband thingy"

Thanks!
If you can make them all laugh at the start, compliment their gear, and ask questions about what musitc they like and find out what the band leaders fav song is (there might not be an official but someone is the Alphamale of that group if they know it or not) and play a riff of a song from his fav band. But be prepared the rest might know it and jam that out aswell
- Be yourself
- Don't do shit that isn't necessary (like if you're auditioning for a punk band, don't go in there throwing Eddie Van Halen solos into songs)
- Be confident
- Don't be afraid to ask what is expected of you
- Have fun!
Yeah, I have a band and we've "auditioned" people before and i think I would rather have the person auditioning just be themselves. Like guitarocker said, you don't want to look like you're trying to hard. good luck!
Don't be afraid to ask questions and share your thoughts. Try to get to know the band on a deeper and personal level.
Quote by AlanHB
I wrote this article a while ago http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/passing_auditions_a_quick_guide.html

Which can help out.

In all honesty though, it's probably too late to have proper preparation for the audition, you're just going to have to hope for the best.

I have been learning all their originals from their myspace, that was the only preparation I had thought of before
Quote by Pettah
I have been learning all their originals from their myspace, that was the only preparation I had thought of before

*Excellent.*

Now, for their part.... they should have told you what songs to learn, rather than you having to take the initiative to learn all of them - unless learning all of them is your way of showing how you are willing to go "above and beyond", in which case, kudos to you.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Pettah

Great stuff mate. You'd be shocked at how many people rock up at these auditions with zero preparation.

Axeman is completely right in saying that you're auditioning the band during the experience too.

How did it go?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Probably too late to help this time, but other pieces of advice for auditions:
  • Make sure you have the correct address and directions (don't rely solely on your GPS).
  • Also, have a phone number to call in case you're unexpectedly delayed, can't find it, etc.
  • Show up a few minutes early. If your time is 7:30, being ready to plug in and play then (not 7:37, say) will look professional.
  • Some people advise showing up with a 6-pack, but I'd personally file that under "looking like you're trying too hard." (Not everyone drinks when they play, for various reasons.)

Congrats for taking the initiative to learn their songs (yes, they should've told you).

And I wholeheartedly agree with an earlier post that auditions aren't unidirectional. Band auditions are like job interviews: Both sides should be checking out how comfortable the fit is. Ask questions that show you're interested, but not so many that they feel like it's an interrogation.

Good luck and let us know how it went!
Quote by massbassman

True story - just about a year ago.

We were looking for a guitarist and had a guy who was interested. He was supposed to show at - whatever - 8:00. He calls at 8:05.... "Guys, where is this place? I put the address in my GPS, but I'm still lost!!" Turns out, he turned the wrong way onto one street and he was about five minutes away. No big deal.

Next rehearsal.... "Where the hell is Tim? He was supposed to be here almost 20 minutes ago."

*phone rings*

"Guys.... Where the hell is this place again? I can't believe it, but I am lost again."

"Uh.... Tim.... you have a GPS AND you've been here before. In fact, last week when you got lost, you at least called at 8:05. WTF??"

That was the same rehearsal where he showed up with a Fender Blues Jr. amp, *insisting* that was the tone that Green Day used. (it was a Green Day tribute) He also had this pedal that was supposed to give him more boost for his leads. On/off/on/off.... no difference.

*sigh*

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.