ok, so ive got like 750-800 bucks to spend on a new acoutsic (preferably acoustic/electric unless it would be more beneficial to buy eletronics to put in it later) and im looking at either a martin or a taylor. so there my question, what sbetter? martin? or taylor? and in tht price range what is a good acoustic?
I'd say if you're going to get a 12 string, go with Martin and for 6 string go for Taylor. Just my opinion. I think 6 string Taylors sound nicer the the Martins.
At that price range I don't think either brand does better than the other. If I had that money I'd be watching craigslist like a hawk for a week or so to see if anyone has a nicer one for that price. I would also not buy an acoustic/electric in that price range either because at that price they sacrificed either better quality wood or better quality electronics. Buy a regular acoustic and add a pickup later
http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/7071/Guitars/Acoustic/Taylor_Guitars/110CE_-_Dreadnought_Spruce_Sapele_Electric_Acoustic_with_Cutaway.htm

I know this is a Canadian price, but Ive played this guitar and its excellent, so the price in US shouldnt be too much different. Id look at this model
PRS Standard 22, Trans Blue
PRS Custom 24, Eriza Verde Green
Martin DC16 GTE Acoustic/Electric
Segovia Acoustic/Electric
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb
Fender Princeton Chorus 212
As well as Martin and Taylor, look into Seagull (never heard a bad review) and Breedlove (very nice, from the couple I've tried). I'm sure there's plenty of good guitars in that price range that aren't Taylor or Martin.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Neither. Taylor and Martin only get good above $1000 US. Below that, you're paying for a POS with a name on the headstock (case in point: Martin HPL). What style of music do you play? Finger-picking or plectrum? Preference in body style/cutaway/electronics? Those kind of details would really help in giving a decent recommendation, rather than throwing a wall of guitars at you.

As a general recommendation, (and based on my personal preferences) you can't go wrong with Breedlove or Seagull. Yamaha is solid, but I prefer their low-end stuff; the same goes for Guild.
Quote by SonOfPest
Its the Lydian mode; formed in Eastern Arabia when the Persians invaded England.

Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
try the sexolydian scale.
Quote by jwd724
Neither. Taylor and Martin only get good above $1000 US. Below that, you're paying for a POS with a name on the headstock (case in point: Martin HPL).

I generally agree. However, I would change the prices a bit.

I'd say that anything under a 1, 15, or 16 series martin is bad. The 1 series is about $700-$800 if im not mistaken.

For Taylor, anything under the 300 series isn't really worth it, imo. There is quite a gap in terms of quality between the 100/200 series and the 300.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
i prefer a number of brands to taylor and martin at this level - blueridge, eastman and recording king top the list. and while not as good as those 3, an epiphone masterbilt would be all solid and some come with electronics. but i like the blueridge voice better myself. if you're in the u.s., you can get an awesome deal from maury's on a blueridge

all solid dread with cutaway and electronics
http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/blueridge_br_160ce/52957/53473

all solid 000 with cutaway and electronics
http://www.maurysmusic.com/inc/sdetail/blueridge_br_143ce/52957/53350

all the all solid blueridges he carries:
http://www.maurysmusic.com/blueridge_solid_body_guitars?cmx=52957&start=0
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
hey guys thanks for the opinions, i mainly play flat-picking type of stuff, electronics arent a huge deal for me (although i do want them on the guitar, either built in or added later) i like a drednought style (or even jumbo, but theyre too expensive). i have heard of breedlove and seagull, idk, i was mainly looking for a marting or taylor tho...someone up there said an epiphone masterbuilt, wat can u tell me about them? i played one once and liked it alot, it was all solid wood and pretty cheap? the only things i didnt like was tht it didnt have electonics and the headstock is absolutly hideous....