Like if the same guitar with a floyd is compared to the same guitar without a floyd, will the floyd guitar sound thinner and worse tone-wise?
I think it takes away from sustain more than tone. If anything, the tone might be a little brighter.
i very much doubt they affect the tone or sustain at all, maybe very very minimaly, i havent noticed any loss anyway
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I think it takes away from sustain more than tone. If anything, the tone might be a little brighter.

But if you play with high gain wouldnt the sustain hit be irrelevant?
Highly depends on 5 factors;

1.quality of material
2. Size of the sustain block
3. Material of the sustainblock
4. Strength and tension of the springs
5 quality of the guitar set up
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Last edited by JaeSwift at Jul 31, 2011,
Quote by 3reach
But if you play with high gain wouldnt the sustain hit be irrelevant?

Maybe. Depends on a lot of the things the guy above said.
no, not at all. Floyd Roses are for tuning stability, they dont compensate tone
PRS Standard 22, Trans Blue
PRS Custom 24, Eriza Verde Green
Martin DC16 GTE Acoustic/Electric
Segovia Acoustic/Electric
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb
Fender Princeton Chorus 212
Again, it depends on the material of the bridges being compared. A cheap LFR is not gonna sound as clear
as a Schaller Hannes, a cheap hardtail doesn't sound as clear as an OFR
My Gear:

Guitars:
Ibanez RG 7 EXFX (27'' scale, 2x EMG 707)

Amp:
Mesa/Boogie Studio .20 Caliber

Recording:
Line 6 Studio POD GX
Quote by SilverchairFan
no, not at all. Floyd Roses are for tuning stability, they dont compensate tone

Not on purpose, but taking a big chunk of wood out of the middle of the instrument is going to change the tone. A good floyd in a well made guitar will sound different than a non-floyd version, but I wouldn't call it worse. Taking a router to your Les Paul and putting a cheap pot metal Floyd in, on the other hand, is going to destroy it.
with a lot of guitars it is hard to find two identical same make/model sound the same as the second, every guitar is its own mojo.

i have two Gibson 1980 Sonex 180 deluxes. both 1980, both black, and according to serial numbers only a few hundered apart. they sound different. same strings, same tuning, etc. all guitars have their own timbre.

now i have have two Peavey Wolfgangs, one hardtail, one with a really good liscensed floyd, and when i say really good liscensed floyd, i mean it. i would take that peavey one over a schaller. acoustically they are very different sounding, with the floyd model sounding airy, twangier, and quieter, and with the hardtail sounding a lot more full.

holding onto the wood at the back of the bridge on the hardtail toward the input jack you can feel that the hardtail resonates/vibrates much deeper. the one with the flyod, not so much.

amplified i feel i could tell a difference on a blindfolded test, i would notice a difference in timbre, but not enough to say that it is 'this' guitar and not the other.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You definitely lose bass and sustain. The more wood that has to be taken out the more sustain you lose. The metal of the bridge carries the treble okay so that doesn't go down quite as much but the mids dip a fair bit and the bass dies. That is seriously why so many DiMarzio pickups have such huge bass response, because they're often installed in guitars with Floyds and thin necks so they are wound for heavy bass to compensate.
I got a bigger brass block in one of mine and it now sounds like (and weighs as much as.. ) a les paul. Sustains for longer than i'd ever need.
Quote by Roc8995
Not on purpose, but taking a big chunk of wood out of the middle of the instrument is going to change the tone. A good floyd in a well made guitar will sound different than a non-floyd version, but I wouldn't call it worse. Taking a router to your Les Paul and putting a cheap pot metal Floyd in, on the other hand, is going to destroy it.

+1

floyds definitely sound different from hardtails, and even vintage-style trems, but i wouldn't really call it worse. Just depends on what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
No they don't take away from the tone nor do they hurt sustain but they do sound like Floyds..