i can write great thrash metal riffs but for the life of me i cant write solos. i can spends hours and not get a single idea. should i give up and just be a rhythm guitarist or is their any tips on how to write solos. i know all the techniques i just don't know how to use them. and don't tell me to listen to other peoples solos i want to use my own style thank you
well how are you going to make yourown style without a starting point

listen to your favorite thrash band/song and see how they use the techniques how the solo fits over rythm once you understand how they do it write your own solos and eventtually your own style will come fromyour own writtings
i was thinking dimebag harmonics with slayer dive bombs and tremlo picking and metallica tapping how would you put those together
Quote by buud9
and don't tell me to listen to other peoples solos i want to use my own style thank you

Quote by buud9
i was thinking dimebag harmonics with slayer dive bombs and tremlo picking and metallica tapping how would you put those together

Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Learning music theory helps. Coming up with good riffs without theory knowledge is easier than coming up with good solos. I'm not sure how much you know about it, but learn to figure out your key and use minor/major scales and anything between and experiment: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_i__1_introduction_-_the_guitar.html

Listening to a lot solos also helps. Really listen to them and try to work out what kind of patterns they use.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
i mean i want to put dimebag style harmonics with realy fast tromlo picking and tapping like they do in metallica one and add some divebombs
i really need help i get discouraged when playing because i cant write sols
Kirk Hammett isn't renowned for tapping as far as I know. With your current ideas of soloing, I'd stick to rhythm guitar. Maybe when you've matured some, revisit it.
The ebst advice I can offer to anyone wnating to become a complete soloist in any genre, is to listen to as much different styles of music as you can. Jazz will give you the idiom where you will hear more soloing than you can handle. Of course, when I was young I only wanted to play metal too so I suppose current advice if thats not for you is to learn all your favourite player's solos BY EAR, know your fretboard inside out, work on all aspects of your technique and don't get disheartened. If you want to be a great lead guitar player enough you will become one.
Andy
Quote by Andy_Mclaughlan
The ebst advice I can offer to anyone wnating to become a complete soloist in any genre, is to listen to as much different styles of music as you can. Jazz will give you the idiom where you will hear more soloing than you can handle. Of course, when I was young I only wanted to play metal too so I suppose current advice if thats not for you is to learn all your favourite player's solos BY EAR, know your fretboard inside out, work on all aspects of your technique and don't get disheartened. If you want to be a great lead guitar player enough you will become one.
Andy

I second that. After listening to bluegrass for a few weeks, I returned to metal and my view had completely changed. Also, I didn't write anything for 3 weeks. I didn't record or write down any ideas that I had. When I tried after 3 weeks, it was really refreshing to start writing songs again. It may not work for you but it worked for me.
Quote by buud9

Forget about bands and forget about techniques for the time being.

Instead, start thinking about what sound it is you want to create - once you've got an idea, then you can start thinking about what techniques you'll need to achieve that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Soloing isn't about techniques: you've got to come up with melodies first! If you can write great riffs, then you already know a fair bit about writing. Try writing some simple melodies for those riffs. I'm talking like 3 - 6 notes--a general direction. Then you can break it down further, trying to find interesting ways of moving from one note to the other. You'll figure it out, it just takes time.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.