Hello guys, I was recently in a hardcore band at my schools, and we were pretty cool, until one of my band members got drunk at a party, and got himself locked up in jail..

Soo, now.. it's been awhile, but I think I'm going to sell my marshall, and buy a new amp..

I need a new amp for worship, as well as I could play in a church, and some youth group festivals. I also would like to still play my other hardcore style of me as well..

I like Hillsong/U2, the edge, type of sounds, and I'm looking into VOX's, combos. My head, just too big, and loud for everything I'm going right now. I just want to be able to gig, with portability and practice as of even if I decide to start another band, I love Underoath, so I'm hoping to get the same sound on a vox.

Haha, so I was thinking of buying an AC15 or an AC30, my friend who is also a worship leader, he play's an AC15, and he was trying to sell me this amp, for 300$, I would take it, but then my stupid instincts of having an AC30, for louder things come in. I never tried the vox, but I'm hoping it would sound as close as my dsl's clean channel, and crunch channel, if gain's up.

My budget's around 600, buying used gear only..

I'm also looking at a overdrive pedal, ( I didn't use one with my DSL ).
I got mixed feelings for a TS9 Tubescreamer, or a Fulltone OCD, or Fulldrive.

Let me know what you think!
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Fender Hot Rod Tweed Deluxe
- Crybaby->EBVPJr->TU-2->TS9->OCD->NS-2->DD-20->DL4->RV-5
an ac15 or 30 would do the worship stuff fine but I really doubt it would have anywhere near enough gain to do hardcore at all
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
I probably, just going to buy a pod, then for the fun stuff, but serious stuff, a VOX.
Thing that bothers me the most is what to get the ac15 or ac30, I like the looks of the ac30, compared to the ac15, (just because it's bigger), and maybe more options.
- Schecter C-1 Classic
you may want to get the 30watt as its louder for playing in church or festivals unless they have a pa system you could use, then the 15 watt would be fine
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Okay, I'll look into it more, how about some overdrives?
- Schecter C-1 Classic
Don't know about those, I don't like multi-fx.
- Schecter C-1 Classic
A ts9 would be great to drive your ac amp.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Does the ac amp's have a footswitch to get between the 2 channels, clean, dirty? or would I just use a boost?
- Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by Hunter44
tc nova multieffect
Vox Bruno

That stupid amp is $1200, which is stupid, they do not sound like a $1200 amp at all.

My Valveking has served me great for worship music, great cleans, can get heavy when I want it, can clean up nice and do some nice overdrive stuff too.

Might get a Classic 30, or just get that AC30.
Haha, yeah. Well still thinking, of a overdrive, ts9, ocd, or fulldrive.
- Schecter C-1 Classic
i haven't read any of the thread. sorry i'm tired lol. ill say this though:

both the ac15 and ac30 will be loud enough. i have cranked an ac15 and it was loud enough to get over drums. the only issue is having a good clean tone. at thatb volume the tubes will be overdriving very nicely, which sounds awesome, but even when rolling down your guitar's volume it is hard to get pristine cleans. the ac30 can get cleaner tones at gigging volume. just depends how clean you need to be really. i'd test out your friend's ac15 with a drummer and see if it does the job for you
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by iheartgator
Does the ac amp's have a footswitch to get between the 2 channels, clean, dirty? or would I just use a boost?

You have to use a A/B box for the inputs

I like TSs but sounds like youd like a OCD
A/B box for the inputs?, I heard tubescreamers are only for amps that already have high gain, thus, making an ocd, not worth it infront of a marshall/peavey? I was going to get that one, but since getting a vox, I think I should go with the ocd?
- Schecter C-1 Classic
stevie ray vaughn used tubescreamers haha. they are for any amp really. and the ocd is for any amp as well. just personal preference

edit: the vox ac's have 2 channels. a normal and top boost. you plug into either channel. but you can use an a/b box to plug into both channels and switch between them
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by InanezGuitars44 at Jul 31, 2011,
Well he said he plays heavier stuff. TSs work great with Voxes, if you're into the blues. If youre going to try to get distorted tones at church, you want the AC15. The AC30 will be way to loud for the people around you because youre going to have to crank it to get some drive. And you can always mic the ac15.
Quote by Dmaj7
Well he said he plays heavier stuff. TSs work great with Voxes, if you're into the blues. If youre going to try to get distorted tones at church, you want the AC15. The AC30 will be way to loud for the people around you because youre going to have to crank it to get some drive. And you can always mic the ac15.

Thanks man, I'll probably save my money and buy a new delay pedal, :P, But Ibanez tubescreamers, or a OCD, for the ac15, as of soppose I know I'll be using a smaller gain/level, for worship boost, and a higher for heavier stuff.
- Schecter C-1 Classic
neither the AC15 or AC30 will sound good for the heavy music.

The dude who said you need to crank the AC30 to get it to drive, the new AC30's have a master volume. You won't be getting power amp distortion when the master is low but it will still sound ok.

threadstarter, sell your quad and buy a 1x12 or 2x12. You will get the portability and will be able to keep the amp you like. The AC15 does not sound like the DSL clean and does not sound like the DSL with the on the crunch channel with the gain high. Completely different amps.
AC30CC1 owner here. Some things you may like to know.
You can get single and double speaker AC30s, but only single speaker AC15s. I have a single celestion vintage in my AC30 that they have stopped producing now, but it weighs around 35kg. That is very heavy to carry any distance, so since I live in London and can't afford to keep my car down there, I have a trolley to get my amp around. So don't be thinking AC30s are light. The double speaker AC30s are ridiculously heavy!

As for what sounds you can get. Everyone seems to wax lyrical over the AC30's cleans. And yes they are good, but they are no better than a Fender Blues Deluxe. The difference between these two could be describe like this, if you use the normal channel on an AC30, keep the input volume at midway, turn the presence on and push the master volume to the 11 then you will get an amazing clean tone out of it that no other amp would give, as most amps would would overdrive as you boost the master volume as well. But the AC30 doesn't do that half as much.

For an overdriven sound, people always suggest using some sort of top boost on the top boost channel. And to this I would say..... FOOLS!!! Yes it's what Brian May did, but nearly every single AC30 in existence has WAY to much top end, such that in mine the single tone control is always under half way. Instead, for my lead - melt your face off - sound, I use a middle boosted overdrive pedal (Tonemonk - Phoneix) through the top boost channel which can give that Brian May-esque sustain and feedback.

You cannot use the amp for metal, you cannot scoop mids on this amp, you cannot play this amp quietly. And by not play this amp quietly I mean, it sounds shit until you get the master volume above 3/10, and when you get to 3/10 it only doubles in audible volume between 3/10 and 10/10 for a clean sound. So it is possible to play full volume on clean in a small room. On the other hand with overdrive (be it from the top boost volume or an external boost) I have never turned the volume past 5/10 as I can't cope with it.
Quote by joe_k
neither the AC15 or AC30 will sound good for the heavy music.

The dude who said you need to crank the AC30 to get it to drive, the new AC30's have a master volume. You won't be getting power amp distortion when the master is low but it will still sound ok.

threadstarter, sell your quad and buy a 1x12 or 2x12. You will get the portability and will be able to keep the amp you like. The AC15 does not sound like the DSL clean and does not sound like the DSL with the on the crunch channel with the gain high. Completely different amps.

this man knows whats up

alot of the volume of amps comes from the size of the cab, so you will have a significant reduction in volume* if you went from a 4x12 to a 2x12.

plus you will still have your amp and then you can get heavy or clean if you want.
Last edited by 00_hns_00 at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by iheartgator
Okay, I'll look into it more, how about some overdrives?

The Fulltones you mentioned are very good for driving Voxes into hardcore territory, especially if it's Underoath-type stuff.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
I know from having an AC15 that I barely get to use it at it's full potential, this thing is loud as @#$%. There's no way I'd be able to get the most out of an AC30, ever. That being said, I've used my '15 in church quite a bit lately, and although the music style we play is a lot rootsier/folkier than Hillsong, it has worked quite well. I've been using the church's Ibanez TS7 to drive it for lead work since I don't own an OD right now, and it gets the job done but from what I've heard the Fulldrive FD2 is a marvelous match with a Vox. JHS is also worth looking into.
get the ac15 from your friend. spend rest of budget on a distortion pedal. boom
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
I know alot of guys use POD HD500/eleven racks for worship because it's easy for the sound guys to fit them into the mix, but still blast them for self monitors.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Thanks guys, I will be getting a VOX AC15, I'll let you know how I like about it, the one he's selling me is a cc1, with no celestion greenback, ( I'm not going to take it, because I found one on ebay for 475$, with the greenback, :P) I decided to get a Fulltone OCD, after trying one at guitarcenter today, it was more like a modded tubescreamer, it was transparent, and good for a clean boost, and once you turn the gain knob, you can get some nice "lost in sounds" tone.
I heard the VOX AC15's clean volume is clean enough to be played in a church, like without mic, and on occasions I'll just mic it. The only thing that kicked me about this whole topic was the ac30's clean channel was louder, which it is, but It isn't necessary loud, or so I heard. I'll be running the vox through a whole bunch of pedals.

EDIT: also, I am in a lookout for more clean boost pedals, maybe a 2nd OCD?, just to boost the clean signal, acting as a volume boost effect, without driving my tubes. ( Thus meaning I want the vox chimey-ness louder volumes, in a pedal )
- Schecter C-1 Classic
Last edited by iheartgator at Aug 3, 2011,
Surprised no ones suggested a 6505. Or maybe the 6505+ cause, you know, it has the cleans.

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
Quote by Kev_369
Surprised no ones suggested a 6505. Or maybe the 6505+ cause, you know, it has the cleans.

i lol'd, it's to damn heavy to bring a 6505+ to church, and it's a overkill.
- Schecter C-1 Classic
Quote by Kev_369

I was going to do it, but then i saw your post
Rig: Epi LP Standard
Mesa/Boogie TransAtlantic 15
Line 6 Spider IV

GAS: too many stuff to list