Poll: AC or Windows opened ?
Poll Options
View poll results: AC or Windows opened ?
AC on
38 41%
Hurr , I don't own a car , so I'll vote for penis poll !!!1!
17 18%
Windows opened
37 40%
Voters: 92.
Hey pit's car owners.

Made it simple , it's a poll.

It's been told that using AC is more fuel efficient than driving with your windows opened. What do you think about that ?
- - - - - - - - - - -
Quote by Good_Lord
Hey pit's car owners.

Made it simple , it's a poll.

It's been told that using AC is more fuel efficient than driving with your windows opened. What do you think about that ?

Driving with your windows open will increase drag.

However driving fast with your windows open is the equivalent of standing next to an AC unit at times.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
If i'm on the highway i don't wanna hear "BLURGRLRLRLLRLLRLRLRLLRLRRLRLRL" all the way there, Air Conditioning rules.
My car doesn't have air conditioning. If I'm not on the highway, windows.

Otherwise, wear light clothing and prepare to be glued to the seat. 90+ degrees + nothing but humidity here in Michigan.
I prefer AC. Open windows don't let in cold air, they just circulate the warm air.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I use AC mostly because opened windows are noisy and I wanna hear my music.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Windows down create a stupid amount of drag, cause you're forcing air in the car without it having anywhere to go, except push against the cab, stop, and the proceed out past the rushing wind coming in, thus creating more drag.

AC saves more gas, but not much.
Quote by rock.freak667
Driving with your windows open will increase drag.

This.
I've thought about this since I was a little kid, I always asked how does an A/C use fuel when it runs on electricity from a battery?

No one could ever answer it for me
I always thought it was a stupid lie greenfags made up to make people suffer.
Depends, a lot of the time I have my music loud so opening windows just makes me obnoxious.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by stratkat
This.
I've thought about this since I was a little kid, I always asked how does an A/C use fuel when it runs on electricity from a battery?

AC compressor runs off your engines accessory belt, or serpentine belt. So it creates drag on the engine. You can gain 20 horse power from every accessory you convert to running on electric motors, like the water pump, the AC compressor, power steering, ect.

Just answering your question and throwing in a fun fact.
Quote by ethan_hanus
AC compressor runs off your engines accessory belt, or serpentine belt. So it creates drag on the engine. You can gain 20 horse power from every accessory you convert to running on electric motors, like the water pump, the AC compressor, power steering, ect.

Just answering your question and throwing in a fun fact.

depends on engine, you arent going to gain 20 hp from a small 70 horse power 1.7L engine in a honda civic.

Also, your first post ignored the fact that there are plenty of people who always drive city and bumper to bumper traffic, open windows conserves far more gas in these cases.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6
depends on engine, you arent going to gain 20 hp from a small 70 horse power 1.7L engine in a honda civic.

Also, your first post ignored the fact that there are plenty of people who always drive city and bumper to bumper traffic, open windows conserves far more gas in these cases.

Yeah, but you also defeat the purpose of having your windows open, 60 mph AC is better than 0 mph AC.

My 350 V-8 would gain 20 horse power. >_>
My 2.7 v6 would gain 20hp ... to reach 215hp
Wich is almost double than most cars on the market at the moment...
- - - - - - - - - - -
Last edited by Good_Lord at Jul 31, 2011,
I feel a big power loss when the air con is on so I use windows. Cruising on the highway I use air con, turn it off when I need to give it a hit.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Woops, I though the thread was asking what you prefer to do in the summer. I always just roll the windows down because my destination is never far enough to warrant waiting for the AC to get cool enough.

OT: Mythbusters.
I have no A/C and I live in Alabama. Needless to say this is the worst time of year.
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Quote by stratkat
This.

Air conditioning isn't electric... your car has an AC compressor that runs off a belt connected to the crankshaft of your engine. There's usually a clutch between the compressor and the pulley, so when you turn it on, the clutch catches and spins the compressor. Since it runs from the crankshaft of your engine, it does use more gas, since the engine has to work harder. You can really feel it on a motor with fewer cubic inches.

Anyway, to answer the question, if it's below 80 and I'm not on the interstate, I roll down my windows. I hate the wind noise on the interstate. But since it's been upper 90s all month, I almost never have them down this time of year. Also, I really need to do an R-134A conversion and charge up my AC.
Last edited by CaptDin at Jul 31, 2011,
When it's not hot here, it's raining. So I've never been in a car with the windows down for an extended period of time unless it's a 5-minute drive or something.
cat
Quote by Eastwinn
Mythbusters. Watch it more.

I aprove of this post
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
It really depends on your speed if your under 55mph or something in that ball park you use less gas if the windows are down so if your on a highway rock out with the ac on.
I usually don't drive fast enough where windows down helps. But I drive a prius and coast as much as possible, meaning I get just under infinity miles to the gallon.