Hey guys. I've been building an orange squeezer compressor pedal and I'm finished with all the soldering and stuff (or so I thought). I haven't yet wired an LED but that's the only thing its missing.

It's wired for true bypass with a 3PDT switch and it bypasses perfectly fine but when I switch the circuit on no sound comes out? I've checked all the traces I could find with my multimeter for continuity and they all seem fine.

My only ideas are these:

1. I used a 1N5818 diode instead of the one in the schematic. (the one in the schematic was a germanium diode I can't remember which one forsure).

2. There was no label on the PCB for the 4m7 resistor but on the schematic it seemed to connect the input signal with the ground so thats where I put it on the board because there were 2 holes there, but they werent spread apart like the spots for all the other resistors were if that makes sense.. Ill post pics in a sec. waiting for camera batteries to charge.

3. Where the trimpot goes on the PCB there were 4 holes? Obviously there is only 3 terminals on the trimpot so I just soldered where I thought was closest to the schematic.

I will post pics in a few but does anyone have any idea what's wrong? Its not in an enclosure yet, I was waiting until I got it working.

edit: heres the schematic http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=88

Thanks in advance guys.
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
Last edited by bj_squeelie at Jul 31, 2011,
Heres the photos.

http://imageshack.us/g/651/1010102h.jpg/

If you need to know anything about the offboard wiring just let me know I can show you what I used for the switch.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
1) This will only change the tone assuming it's the diode in the op amp soft clipping circuit.

2) Anything 1M and up is more than acceptable, lower values can be used if you know what's driving it.

3) This may be the issue, but until you trace the pcb to the scheme wholly, I can't tell you.

You could have burnt something up, causing something to short or open, with unsocketed trannies and an IC this is the most dangerous to a novice when using a PCB bought. Check the solder joints, round and shiny is what you want. Most of the pictures don't really show any detail, you just have to check every solder joint including the wires and go through the whole thing. http://www.geofex.com/fxdebug/newfx.htm Good luck.
Hey guys. I got the pedal working but when I turn it on there is quite a large volume / gain drop? Any ideas what could be causing this?
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
for #2...
thats called a Pulldown resistor. eliminates a popping sound when the switch is activated.

#3. For trimpots, being that their pin layouts vary a bit, the extra holes are for those various physical differences.
On many of those, generally, the middle pin and one of the outer pins are connected on the PCB.
So if you have your 2 outer pins are directly connected, its not going to be able to do its job.
I checked the trimpot and it seems to be connected correctly. Any other ideas? Could I have fried one of the components? I'm fairly sure i used a heatsink for all of them but i cant remember forsure.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Quote by bj_squeelie
I checked the trimpot and it seems to be connected correctly. Any other ideas? Could I have fried one of the components? I'm fairly sure i used a heatsink for all of them but i cant remember forsure.

Parts are probably ok.
Although I uses sockets for on all my builds for transistors and IC's.

Can't tell from the pics though.

There are 2 different pdf files on tonepad, which one did you build?
I could look at the schematic and perhaps get some idea.

Found the proper one. Gimme a few minutes to look it over.

Edit:

Also...check VERY carefully for solder bridges and cold solder joints.

Also check that all the electrolytic caps are in with the proper orientation.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 11, 2011,
Can you take better pictures so we can see it better? I can't tell anything from the pics. They are too dark and blurry.