I know that is a very profound thing, recently I've been starting to crank out better riffs than I used to. I'm actually still learning, and I've only written power chord riffs (not diverse, but for good practice). However, my newest one sounds like it should be on a Dinosaur Jr album, and the rest seem like they sound more like one band than a mix of others. I'm not in a band and I know I shouldn't care about this, but I do.

The funniest thing is that I haven't even had a lot of lessons, and I'm writing these licks like its my job. They may not be good, but each one is slowly sounding better. I don't know anything more than the most basic of basic theory, and I can't do much more than simple power chords.

So what should I do? I know I'm not even close to the skill to even consider a band, bit its kind of fun to see what I can create. Should I just ditch it? Should I not worry about it and keep writing these things, or is it important to do this? In a sense it would reinforce what I've learned because I'm playing what I'm practicing, but I feel like I'm just sounding like what I last listened to.

Thanks for the help; again I'm not even writing for anything, I'm just writing for the sake of writing. I haven't written a lyric since I started playing in general.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
if you know your diatonic traids, then try using chords as riffs, i startde like you using power chords as riffs, but theres such more variety with chords, as there alot more voicings you can use for riffs that sound awesome together.

with my riffs, i pick a key then i pick a ramdon chord, then i hear the sound and think of a kool chord that would compliment it.

i dont know it dosent work for everybody, just keeping testing out riffs, learn more music theory if you can and find your way of making riffs.
Just keep writing. There's only 12 notes d00d, stuff is bound to sound like other stuff just by the nature of it. I still write stuff that may sound like a Megadeth or Lamb of God riff, but then sometimes I'll pop out with one that sounds pretty original and develop that one.

Edit: Also this guy ^^
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
try hearing it in your head before you write. an artist doesn't paint on his canvas without knowing (at least roughly) the subject matter and the color palette he needs, does he? writing by trial and error can produce a few gems (as it would the painting analogy), but you're far better off trying to hear it in your head first.

on top of that, if you only know power chords, you're not equipped to write songs that go too far beyond using power chords. play some material outside your comfort zone. you're into rock/metal? play some easy jazz. or try listening to more classical.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
I think powerchords are getting a bit of bad press because they're viewed as too simple. Yet many of the great riffs contain powerchords, and I think there's mileage in them.
Quote by Jehannum
I think powerchords are getting a bit of bad press because they're viewed as too simple. Yet many of the great riffs contain powerchords, and I think there's mileage in them.

absolutely. but it's another thing entirely to know only powerchords.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
yah thats the problem now, i mean i still use, i just try to not use them often cause else it would be a "paranoid" rip off, but i think the reason why people use them is because they have such a great sound to them, it all depends though i use them but i dont pull them out throughout the whole song.
Yeah, I wouldn't have any intentions of writing all power chord songs anyway. Thats the thing that sucks as a beginner is that you want to do so much but you only can do so little. I want something totally original but I'll have to expand beyond power chords to even try to think of making something slightly different.

Thanks for your great replies. Should I get into some theory first or get some more chords, techniques, etc.
There's room for all of God's creatures; Right next to the mashed potatoes.
lol i havent wrote a song yet, but music theory had taught me some stuff that i could try out and if i like it i use it, im 75% done my song tho, just need to pratice some techinques for solos.

im done theory yet tho theres alot i just understand a certian part, so im wating for my teacher but heres a website ive learning off from.

http://www.musictheory.net/lessons

enjoy