i think its easy to use but not easy to controll i find it hard to make a proper beat from tapping without it sounding like the crazy train solo lol, when i do it sounds like other crap and dosent fit with the beat im looking for. how should i apporach tapping when comming out with a beat? or is this one of those techniques where it easy to pickup but hard to master?
Yeah, it's pretty easy to just pick up the "Van Halen" style of tapping, but to get to more advanced stuff and control it properly, you should practice with a metronome to help develop timing and rhythm.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
im quite a newb but i have no idea how to use a memtrone actually, could someone explain lol? x) i know theres one online but i tried it and iam like how do i use it?
Quote by harvestkingx
im quite a newb but i have no idea how to use a memtrone actually, could someone explain lol? x) i know theres one online but i tried it and iam like how do i use it?

Set the metronome at a low tempo to begin with. Play whatever it is you're trying to play/practice in time with the metronome. Whenever you can do it perfectly without mistakes, set the tempo a few beats per minute (bpm) higher. Repeat the process.

Of course, knowing about note durations is incredibly useful in using a metronome. Do you know about quarter notes, eighth notes, et-cetera?
yah i do know to a certian degree, but i couldnt hear a song and know what beat is a quatre note, whole note or whatever note. maybe i could tell a couple not alot, making them are a bit easier tho, i can make those notes, lol i think x)

but actually i figured what to do i stared the thing at a 100 beats per second and trying tapping to the beat of course i would advance once i got use to it, cause theres nothing actually iam learing im just trying to learn the technique so i can make my solos.
I'd suggest starting even slower than 100 beats per minute so you can really get used to what you're trying to do. Speed is a by-product of good technique, so worry about that first. Plenty of time to be a speed demon later on.

But as for using the metronome to practice, I'd suggest varying it up. Get comfortable tapping one note per beat (which would be quarter notes), then tapping two notes per beat (eighth notes). Just get used to tapping before moving the metronome up to a higher speed. Also, don't get too frustrated with it if you have trouble when first starting to use and play along with the metronome. If you find you're out of time with it, just take a deep breath, reset, and start again. Try to have some fun with it.
ty stickfigure, ill try that tomorrow, its to late and im tired, but ty really like the sound of tappig and would like to make my own solo with it ty
if you're such a noob (no offense if you are) that you cant use a metronome, maybe you ought to stay away from tapping for a bit?
My sig? Nice.
i just dont understand how to use one.... i wasnt excalty sure what to do with each click, I just never heard of one, my old teacher never told me one existed..wish he did but thats the past.
metronome is the obvious answer to your problem..

By the way, nothing easy to master.. Look at me, I'm a master trying to master technics. Took me a ton of work!

cheers
hands down.
Quote by harvestkingx
i just dont understand how to use one.... i wasnt excalty sure what to do with each click, I just never heard of one, my old teacher never told me one existed..wish he did but thats the past.

auch!

that kinda hurts...

well, music usually has a tempo (yours doen't seem to have) for example 120bpm means 120 beats per minute.

Also, music (again usually) has a time signature, and is divided in bars, meaning that for example the time signature 4/4 has 4 figures per bar and each figure has a "1 beat value" (srry if it's hard for me to talk in english)

Try checking some theory online and start using a god damn metronome because it's the only way you'r going anywhere.
hands down.
Metronomes suck. Dont use it, you'll find it so so hard to get out of the 4/4 or rigid beats if you rely on one too much.

Just listen to a load of different tapping artists, slow it down and copy it or emulate something similar.

I've never practiced tapping to a metronome, and i have no trouble doing overhand/underhand tapping including polyrhythms using bass notes and a melody line (like a piano).
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
i know what to do with a memtronme now lol i just wasnt sure till stick helped me, im not trying to learn a song as i said, im tryin to make my own tapping rhytm cause i like the technique.

EDIT: actually i was praticing with one an hour ago, and tried tappig, and im starting to see results,
Last edited by harvestkingx at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by W4T3V3R
Metronomes suck. Dont use it, you'll find it so so hard to get out of the 4/4 or rigid beats if you rely on one too much.

Just listen to a load of different tapping artists, slow it down and copy it or emulate something similar.

I've never practiced tapping to a metronome, and i have no trouble doing overhand/underhand tapping including polyrhythms using bass notes and a melody line (like a piano).

you're crazy bro.
My sig? Nice.
Quote by W4T3V3R

Can't most metronomes play other time signatures than 4/4? Mine does and it's definitely not an expensive one. Obviously you don't need a metronome to become a good guitarist, but it's a helpful tool.

Polyrhythms don't really require a metronome, but I find it harder to keep the tempo steady without one.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
if you don't use a metronome and play along with some kind of backing track your still following a beat so... either way is good...
hands down.
Quote by BMTuga
if you don't use a metronome and play along with some kind of backing track your still following a beat so... either way is good...

Backing tracks are good, maybe even better than a metronome. I prefer making them myself though. It's hard to find any that suit my needs from the internet.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Quote by Flibo
Backing tracks are good, maybe even better than a metronome. I prefer making them myself though. It's hard to find any that suit my needs from the internet.

I'm actually making a jazz backing track to play along, so I have to agree..
hands down.
What i mean is, even if you set a metronome to an odd time signature unless it can map changing time signatures/tempo its pretty rigid.

Backing tracks a good idea
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
If you don't know, how or why one would make a backing track then make one. Even if it's just drums.

Also, IMHO I can't stand tapping like Van Halen. I mean the first 10 seconds of it is ****ing awesome, but then you realise that his strategy is just move his fingers as fast as possible and hope everyone will worship you. Check out how great guitarists and bassists use it. EG Paul Waggoner, Tosin Abasi, Andy Mckee(Especially this guy cause it aint metal, which is rare for tapping), Arif Mirabdobaghi
UG's New Zealand Resident!