Hey guys, Ive actually got enough money for a better amp now, and I was just wondering if anybody has suggestions before I go out and spend like 600$ or so. I was looking at the Fender Mustang V, but Im not 100% sure I want it. I like it because its REALLY versatile, and it can do a shit ton of styles and Im just wondering what you guys think.

The styles I play are REALLY broad; Hendrix, Punk, Metal, Deathcore, Rock, Blues, Clean, and grunge, so I need an amp that can keep up with me in all these areas. Its gotta be at the very least 100W because I plan to be out gigging with it, and it has to be able to obtain that smooth, kinda creamy solo tone to a wild, gainy sound.

With all that being said, do you guys have any recommendations to amps or do you think Ill be fine with what Ive been looking at? Thanks!
Id save up a little more and look into a tube amp, better dynamics, more responsive, and better for your money... U could get like a cheap tube combo for now, or save up more and look into one.. Thats what i would do, sorry i know this post really doesnt help, im just bored. Lol hope u find what ur looking for...
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I suggest you select the least popular of the woman-creatures, and fart directly in her face.
Quote by xxIceManxx08
Hey guys, Ive actually got enough money for a better amp now, and I was just wondering if anybody has suggestions before I go out and spend like 600$ or so. I was looking at the Fender Mustang V, but Im not 100% sure I want it. I like it because its REALLY versatile, and it can do a shit ton of styles and Im just wondering what you guys think.

The styles I play are REALLY broad; Hendrix, Punk, Metal, Deathcore, Rock, Blues, Clean, and grunge, so I need an amp that can keep up with me in all these areas. Its gotta be at the very least 100W because I plan to be out gigging with it, and it has to be able to obtain that smooth, kinda creamy solo tone to a wild, gainy sound.

With all that being said, do you guys have any recommendations to amps or do you think Ill be fine with what Ive been looking at? Thanks!

the mustang is a modeling amp. decent at best. i understand the appeal of modeling amps, but i really don't know if that is what you are looking for.

also there are very very few scenarios that you would need 100 watts, even solid state, but especially tube.

the smooth creamy solo tone you hear is much better on a tube amp, and not nearly as doable on a solid state. it will get you half way there but i would bet you would be disapointed.

i would look at the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 watter if you are set on a modeling amplifier. 311 has put some really awesome clips up.

or go for something all tube in in the price range used. maybe a peavey valve king, or a Crate blue voodoo, or an Peavey XX/JSX combo. those are more heavey gain than clean amps, but both the blue voodoo and the valve king served me well with bluesy tones with the aid of a tubescreamer.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Aug 5, 2011,
Im not really set on Modeling amps, its just that it happens to be really convenient with what I wanted and price wise its amazing, but I AM looking for something that can get loud and not lose the tone that its got.
I think a Orange tube amp would be great for you. Check out the Orange Tiny Terror.
My Gear
Peavey Ultra Plus
Ibanez RGA42FM with EMG 81/85 with 18 volt mod
Marshall Valvestate VS102R
Ibanez TS9
Schecter C1FR
MXR M-109 EQ
Trashedlostfdup hit the nail on the head +1
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I suggest you select the least popular of the woman-creatures, and fart directly in her face.
Okay, Ill check that out on youtube or something right now. Thanks for the suggestions, any more would really be appreciated!
+1 to the Peavey Vypyr Tube.

Sure tube amps sound great, better than modelers most of the time, but when you need an amp to handle a plethora of genres, sometimes modelers are the answer. Luckily, the Vypyr Tube sounds exceptional. I would recommend one to anyone.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would look at the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 watter if you are set on a modeling amplifier. 311 has put some really clips up.

I'm assuming that is good

ahhh, tnx man

I love the amp - there is more there than I have time to put into it. For a modeling map I really think it excels.

I'd love to try to make some better clips but I really don't have time. All of those Vypyr clips were thrown together in one night with no real thought, prep, practice, tweaking, post production, etc. Just tried to touch on as many amps as possible that I thought people might want to hear.

TS - that is my vote
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 3, 2011,
Agree with 311.

To expand your options a bit, check out and audition a Jet City. You can acquire a used but minty JCA100HDM for ~$500. This amp works well with the inexpensive Eminence Legend V1216 or if you want to go heavier, Eminence Swamp Thangs or Celestion G12K100s with V30s.