Hey everyone -

My band has a few songs in drop D and in drop C. At the moment I only have access to one guitar and it's a floyd rose so I can't be tuning the guitar up or down really.

It's currently in drop D, but I was considering dropping it to C with the new DR drop-tuning strings and setting it up for it.

My question is, do you have any experience/have you seen many bands have their guitar in drop C and use a capo if they need to go into D? I'll be chugging a lot, and I just worry about tone loss or even the capo maybe making everything too sharp (my action is pretty low as it is).

Just seems weird that everyone I've seen live never does it (probably because they can afford to just switch guitars), I was wondering if there's a good reason behind it.
Last edited by kcg6690 at Aug 1, 2011,
Not sure, never really thought about it because of loss of high note you'd get from a guitar set up in drop d compared to c.

However, you could just change tunings up or down for some of the songs so the're all the same?
Quote by TheQuailman
I wish my amp sucked on my knob.

if you were to smash a child around the head with a full bottle of no more tears shampoo...would it be ironic if they cried
Quote by jose1216
yea if you are in drop c couldnt you just play higher a whole step?

the thing about that is, it'll sound different. it wont have the same crispness as it would if it were played in the tuning it were written in.

its always a good idea to kinda dedicate your sound to one type of tuning if you only have one guitar to avoid this scenario. those guys playing live, they usually have multiple guitars, one being a dedicated D guitar, and the other being C.

regardless, avoid the capo. it ruins the sound. my advice? stick it out and play the c songs as if they were written in drop D for the time being til you can get another guitar.
Last edited by Jackie Lawless at Aug 1, 2011,
Pretty much what has been said already.

I sometimes use a capo on my seven string 'cause I CBA to change tuning, but that's just for getting the idea of the song in my head, if I really want to learn it I'll do it proper.
Quote by Jackie Lawless
the thing about that is, it'll sound different. it wont have the same crispness as it would if it were played in the tuning it were written in.

its always a good idea to kinda dedicate your sound to one type of tuning if you only have one guitar to avoid this scenario. those guys playing live, they usually have multiple guitars, one being a dedicated D guitar, and the other being C.

regardless, avoid the capo. it ruins the sound. my advice? stick it out and play the c songs as if they were written in drop D for the time being til you can get another guitar.

yup, and there are lots of pull off's to open I won't be able to hit. out of curiosity, i'm figuring the capo isn't a great idea but what is the reason? still don't understand if its intonation, tone, pitch, or what.
Quote by kcg6690
yup, and there are lots of pull off's to open I won't be able to hit. out of curiosity, i'm figuring the capo isn't a great idea but what is the reason? still don't understand if its intonation, tone, pitch, or what.

What I've found is the tone won't be as full with it on, the pitch I don't know, and at a certain point the intonation can get horrendous.

What I think you should just do is re-tab the songs to Drop C, makes it much easier.
Quote by kcg6690

take a look at your instruments nut [that thingy where the the headstock meets the neck]. noticed the way its angled. that is one of the deciding factors. if youre in C, and capo to D, you dont have that angle anymore, thus you lose some clarity in your notes.

if you have a capo at the moment, then give it a try. you'll almost immediately tell the difference between the capo'd drop D and the tuned drop d. it'll sound brighter and clearer, like it's s'posed to be.

avoid the capo if you can.
Or just play the drop D song in drop C? Surely can't be that important?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
that's what I'll have to settle for in the meantime, i'll have to re-write some tapping and pulloff parts where I hit an open string. or maybe just be crafty enough to throw the capo on mid-song for a tap.
Wrong forum, reported
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.