Page 1 of 2
I'm gonna use you as a shoulder to cry on It's been a while. I'm sure you all miss whiny emo boy. Continue for full story (you need the full story to understand my mental state), scroll to bottom for tl;dr

Long version:
I'm 18 and live in the UK. That means, woo, university this year! ...maybe. I have an offer from LSE (London School of Economics) to study Accounting & Finance, provided I get grades AAB from my three A-levels. Now, I don't know whether you're familiar with LSE, but it's possibly THE most competitive and one of the HIGHEST ranked social science universities in the WORLD, so it was a big deal for me. I'd got kicked out of my house the week earlier but my mum picked me up crying with happiness when she found out...so yeah. She was that emotional 'cause her father, my grandad had passed away a few months prior (which obviously didn't help me mentally with the situation I'm about to explain), and it was his dream for someone in his family to go to an institution like that.

However, before I got this offer, I got dumped (lol, I know) from a long-term relationship back in November. I went into apathetic emo mode (shocker) from then 'til about March, when I got made the offer. Problem being that as a result I failed all my January modules (I'm talking D's and E's here), so had to resit them all in June. I'd also bunked or fell asleep in pretty much every lesson until I got made this offer, 'cause I developed a messed up sleep pattern from aforementioned events, and therefore missed about 5-6 months of work...which I had to teach to myself. My teachers were obviously pissed about a straight-A student becoming that.

As you can guess, I'm pretty sure I've failed my summer exams. Well, not failed, I did work like a B*TCH between March and June for them, more than I've ever worked in my life. However, A-levels are quite a bit harder than the American system, and studying incredibly difficult subjects like Economics AND having to take 4 Maths resits, you can imagine how heavy the workload was.

I've checked all the model answers for Maths, I've definitely lost my A there due to C4, the last and hardest module (I somehow managed to get high A's in all the others), this was possibly my only guaranteed A. ICT, our coursework got marked down last year, so I'm about 7UMS from an A now. Nothing much I can do about that, we asked our teachers to appeal but they said no...probably realising they messed up hard with the marking. Economics, well, it's just a damn hard subject, I could maybe get an A if I'm lucky and the markers are nice, probably a mid-B.

This means my grades will probably be BBB-ABB, if I'm lucky. Maybe even AAB if Maths grade boundaries drop to about half of what the average is, but that's not happening realistically. Problem is, wtf do I do now to stop panicking, and on results day to somehow not throw myself in front of a train when I find out the inevitable (inb4stopwhiningandthinkofhowtoughsomalianshaveit)

Tl;dr
.happy lostprophets$$$
.got dumped, grandad died
.not so happy lostprophets$$
.stopped paying attention in school
.failed January modules
.got offer from one of world's best social science universities
.been a lifelong dream to go there
.happy lostprophets$$$ again
.improve attitude, start going to school to get back to straight A standard
.didn't have enough time to learn work for June exams and resits of recently failed modules
.probably haven't made grades for LSE
.parents gon' flip, can't resit, life=failed

So UG...I know you guys love this stuff. Wat do?

CAN'T:
.Hope university has some lenience, incredibly oversubscribed, they have no sympathy
.Ask to change to a simpler course with lower requirements, for the same reason
.Ask referee to plead my case, my referee on my application was one of my teachers, who obviously hated my new unexplained attitude which happened AFTER applying
.Resit the year and apply next year, university fees are TRIPLING in the UK as of next year
.LSE don't accept resits from outside initial 2 study years anyway
Quote by whiteraven119
My new hero. Anyone willing to use lethal martial arts against hxc kids is amazing.

That's me

Quote by jaridv1
my penis has a restraining order against me because i beat it

i only read the tldr, but you talk about yourself in 3rd person a lot, thats kind of weird.

anyways, hugs bro is wat do
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
A levels are a bit harder over there than in the American system huh? That's the only part I read and you will get no sympathy from this Purdue engineering major.
Quote by genghisgandhi
At least now when you're a big success in life, you can tell people you really worked hard for it. There's nothing worse than a guy who's had everything handed to him in life.

Not if you are that guy. Then everything is peaches, cream, and daffodils.
Probably shouldn't go here, but still.
Everything's going to be okay soon. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe the next day.

Moral of the story: Girls ruin lives.

“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by dylanfromearth
A levels are a bit harder over there than in the American system huh? That's the only part I read and you will get no sympathy from this Purdue engineering major.

From what I've been told by my dad's American friend who taught high school in America and A-levels here. & by my Canadian friends who did A-level exams as practice for theirs.

I apologise if I was wrong, just going off that information.
Quote by whiteraven119
My new hero. Anyone willing to use lethal martial arts against hxc kids is amazing.

That's me

Quote by jaridv1

You live in a first world country, stop bitching and apply to another university.
Quote by Lostprophets$$$
From what I've been told by my dad's American friend who taught high school in America and A-levels here. & by my Canadian friends who did A-level exams as practice for theirs.

I apologise if I was wrong, just going off that information.

Oh ok, I thought you meant you were a freshman in college. I'm not familiar with your public school system but I wouldn't be surprised if it is more difficult than ours.
Quote by So-Cal
You live in a first world country, stop bitching and apply to another university.

Because all universities hold the same merits as LSE. Especially the kind I could apply to with straight B's

Thanks for the advice, homie. I see you live in the UK, you have realised that if/when I miss my offer, I can only go to university this year via clearing, right? You know which universities ever end up in clearing? The worst ones in the country. Wonderful.

You didn't seriously expect an ex-straight A student and offer-holder from the world's best institution for his course, to just accept such an unbelievable change in his future and roll with the punches when he could cry to the internet, did you?

Quote by dylanfromearth
Oh ok, I thought you meant you were a freshman in college. I'm not familiar with your public school system but I wouldn't be surprised if it is more difficult than ours.

Yeah, I meant the last 2 years of high school. University teaching in America is more than likely on par with here, if not harder.
Quote by whiteraven119

That's me

Quote by jaridv1

Last edited by Lostprophets$$$ at Aug 1, 2011,
well all you can do is try and keep trying harder even if you don't go to that im sure theres someplace else where you can get a decent education. i know youll be fine cause i konw youre a smart kid

thats what one of my teacher freidns told me when i got ****ed out of me going to berkeley
i tought it could cheer you up some
Quote by Lostprophets$$$
Because all universities hold the same merits as LSE. Especially the kind I could apply to with straight B's

Thanks for the advice, homie. I see you live in the UK, you have realised that if/when I miss my offer, I can only go to university this year via clearing, right? You know which universities ever end up in clearing? The worst ones in the country. Wonderful.

You didn't seriously expect an ex-straight A student and offer-holder from the world's best institution for his course, to just accept such an unbelievable change in his future and roll with the punches when he could cry to the internet, did you?

you act as though going to a 'worst' university even matters.

news flash: it doesnt.

and you can apply for a transfer once you're there.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by JimmyBanks6

Great idea. Plus, which university you went to really doesn't matter all that much once it comes time to get a job. If you got your degree and you're confident and qualified, you have just as much of a chance for the most part.
I think a new amp would fix this problem
BLUEGREEN

Quote by sashki
Jazz III. It's not my choice. It's the correct choice.
Quote by JimmyBanks6

It doesn't? You think I'd be likely to land a job straight after graduation with a company like Deloitte or PriceWaterhouseCoopers with a degree from a second-rate university? Compared to one of the best in the world, not just the country, for that degree? & no, I can't transfer to a different university from there, that's not how it works in England.

News flash: community college=not the same credentials and job opportunities as somewhere like Harvard, to make a comparison for you.
Quote by whiteraven119

That's me

Quote by jaridv1

Guys give him a break, obviously he's been through a tough time and all he wants is a bit of encouragement.

Anyways, I know life seems pretty tough but universities aren't EVERYTHING. There are a lot of things in life to look forward to you haven't experienced yet and trust me, you're going to fail many times before you succeed. Keep your head up and trudge on!
Quote by zombies
Guys give him a break, obviously he's been through a tough time and all he wants is a bit of encouragement.

Anyways, I know life seems pretty tough but universities aren't EVERYTHING. There are a lot of things in life to look forward to you haven't experienced yet and trust me, you're going to fail many times before you succeed. Keep your head up and trudge on!

Thank you, seems the consensus so far! Guess I just have to keep my chin up and deal with the death-sentence awaiting from my parents for my results when it comes to it
Quote by whiteraven119

That's me

Quote by jaridv1

Quote by Lostprophets$$$
It doesn't? You think I'd be likely to land a job straight after graduation with a company like Deloitte or PriceWaterhouseCoopers with a degree from a second-rate university? Compared to one of the best in the world, not just the country, for that degree? & no, I can't transfer to a different university from there, that's not how it works in England.

News flash: community college=not the same credentials and job opportunities as somewhere like Harvard, to make a comparison for you.

You think its easy to get a job at all with a top-tier degree?
its not.

news flash: you have to take steps climbing up the corportate world, your degree and the schools stamp wont change this
community college is better than nothing and good for a transfer
stop hating on the world because you made some bad mistakes and flunked classes, instead make hard decisions, go to whatever school you get into, and work your ass off for a transfer if you are extremely worried about which school you get your degree from.

e/ i dont mean to sound so cold, but take control of the situation, go to the shitty school, get the transfer, (some classes the credits may not be permitted, so redo those classes at your new school) you'll have your degree in the long run. This isnt the end because of a few mistakes, but instead the beginning of a different path . Its going to take a little more work, but you will be fine if you work hard

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by JimmyBanks6
You think its easy to get a job at all with a top-tier degree?
its not.

news flash: you have to take steps climbing up the corportate world, your degree and the schools stamp wont change this
community college is better than nothing and good for a transfer
stop hating on the world because you made some bad mistakes and flunked classes, instead make hard decisions, go to whatever school you get into, and work your ass off for a transfer if you are extremely worried about which school you get your degree from.

My cousins all went to universities like LSE/Cambridge/Harvard/Stanford/MIT/etc, they all got offered jobs with the world's best companies and banks before they'd even graduated. I do think it makes life significantly easier and opens up new doors that are otherwise near-impossible to reach, yes. A little work now means a lot less work later, as my dad says.

I appreciate the whole work-my-ass-off and sort it out approach as I don't really have much other choices. I do, however, think I'll probably end up in the same apathetic state that brought me here in the first place come results day, as my eventual hard work paid off for nothing.
Quote by whiteraven119

That's me

Quote by jaridv1

I give this guy credits for coming to the pit when he wants a pep-talk. That's ****ing brave :')
Quote by Lostprophets$$$
My cousins all went to universities like LSE/Cambridge/Harvard/Stanford/MIT/etc, they all got offered jobs with the world's best companies and banks before they'd even graduated. I do think it makes life significantly easier and opens up new doors that are otherwise near-impossible to reach, yes. A little work now means a lot less work later, as my dad says.

I appreciate the whole work-my-ass-off and sort it out approach as I don't really have much other choices. I do, however, think I'll probably end up in the same apathetic state that brought me here in the first place come results day, as my eventual hard work paid off for nothing.

That's kind of how it goes, sometimes
Apathy won't help any, but it's not like you can control it.

Listen to this and feel better http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wED7a9AJoUk
Last edited by D&DLover at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by Miiiiks
I give this guy credits for coming to the pit when he wants a pep-talk. That's ****ing brave :')

Who tells it better, eh? Sometimes you need to hear the harshest things imaginable.

I kid, most of the users have been very kind and understanding so far.
Quote by whiteraven119

That's me

Quote by jaridv1

If you haven't got in this time, you will probably have to take a year out and repeat the exams if you really want in.

I agree that clearing won't get you into a job university but do you have some offers for other universities for the same type of degree?
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
Quote by daft
If you haven't got in this time, you will probably have to take a year out and repeat the exams if you really want in.

I agree that clearing won't get you into a job university but do you have some offers for other universities for the same type of degree?

I do, but pretty much the same grades required for it. I was predicted A*AA originally as I'm a bit of a nerd, to drop below AAB seemed near inevitable so I didn't find it necessary to have an insurance uni lower than that.

Screw girls
Quote by whiteraven119

That's me

Quote by jaridv1

Quote by Lostprophets$$$
Who tells it better, eh? Sometimes you need to hear the harshest things imaginable.

I kid, most of the users have been very kind and understanding so far.

Yeah I read the comments, they're being nice. It's so weird

+1 to the amp guys though.
Quote by So-Cal
First up, drop the attitude. It doesn't matter what university you go to, with an attitude like that you won't get very far in life.

When it comes down to it degrees are degrees it doesn't matter where it's from.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and make the most of a bad situation. Cest la vie.

1.) He's hardly being deliberately impertinent, it's quite evident that he cares about academic success which is a commendable trait regardless of how it's presented.

2.) Of course; however, a good degree from a reputed school is very desirable in a competitive career market. Not that one should necessarily place overbearing emphasis on the caliber of their academic accomplishments alone, just remember that the sum of your schoolwork is merely to get your foot in the door of a promising occupation.

3.) This goes without saying. Though I can't offer anything that could manage to reconcile the great stress you must be feeling right now, just remember that most of your mentioned concerns are out of your hands at the moment. There's never an end in opportunities for an accomplished student despite whatever setbacks that might have been encountered, neither is your future decided by rejection both personal and institutional. Reciting some trite phrase asserting the need for confidence would horribly undermine your natural anxiety towards an unfavorable circumstance, but you just have to believe in yourself man.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Meh, I was gonna go to Cambridge but I ****ed up my final A-level exams. Hasn't really made a massive difference to my life.
Because no-one seems to dare say it, I will. You completely brought it on yourself, if you wanted this then you would have worked regardless of what happened in your life. I'm personally sick of people saying they couldn't achieve this or that because of something bad that happened to them, because out of my many experiences these situations should drive you to achieve even more than before.
You could always become a hippie.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Man don't worry we're all in the same boat shitting it about uni.

If you want, look into a business school in Manchester which offers a two year course I think, where - unless I'm mistaken - you get paid to study. But it's a LOT of work. We're talking no sleep for two years, but it's a very, VERY prestigious qualification that you gain from it.

Apologies for this being so vague as I don't know much about it, but honestly there will be other solutions. ^^
May the Force be with You.
Carmel is hawt
Your problem is your own fault. Maybe if you had loved your girlfriend and granddad a bit less, everything would be fine.

You are like Einstein: if he would have had less sex, he might have unified gravity with the other forces.

Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Damn, it really doesn't matter that much what uni you get a degree from. As long as you get a top grade in the degree and do things to prove how great you are [ie try and find summer jobs in a related field, etc], you will get the job you want [and be better at it].

Also, there are many great unis in clearing - clearing is just any unfilled space due to people who failed to get in or chose other universities.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Things will sort out.
Anyway, f*ckin' comparin' stuff to Hardvard,Oxford,Sorbon and sh*t, why would you care? A degree from 'THERE' wount make you any smarter than from a 'worst, how you put it' university. If your smart youll succeed and people will notice you, no matter what uni you go to, its not ****in Africa for Christ sake....
I lost out on a place at UCL because of the many terrible things that were happening to me at the time. I went to the 10th best instead of the 2nd/3rd best uni for chemistry (at the time), and now Im on a masters course.

TS, dont worry. You are panicking far too much. Yes, LSE is the best uni for your course but if you dont get in you can transfer in your second year. I didnt bother to because I got settled on my course, but I bet you that if you went somewhere else for your first year, averaged 70+% on your exams and emailed the admissions tutor at LSE for your course and ask if you can transfer there for your second and final years, they would let you.

From my university, three people transffered to Sheffield Hallam, UCL and Oxford... If your grades in your first year are good enough, you can change your uni.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by So-Cal
First up, drop the attitude. It doesn't matter what university you go to, with an attitude like that you won't get very far in life.

An attitude of not wanting to settle for second best just because it's a bit too much like hard work to push yourself just that bit further, or make a few sacrifices in order to achieve your goals and ambitions?
**** me, that must be where we've all been going wrong.

TS, you need to get your shit together. Sort out your problems into groups. Don't worry about which ones change you or not, worry about the ones you can change.
The ones you can't...don't worry about them. Roll with the punches because it's all you can do. The stuff that requires your input, work out what you need to do and schedule a routine for getting it back on course. Extra revision sessions, extra-curricular classes? Make contact with the University too, explain your objective situation (grades slipping, but willing to do work and get better etc, don't piss and moan to them) and maybe they'll be understanding or at least advise you on what to do.
In the very least mend alliances with your family so you can sit and concentrate in a stress free environment and not have to worry about them holding weight over your shoulders.
Page 1 of 2