trying to get my pinky stronger. i notice that my pinky flys up and i dont want it to i want it to stay close to the fret board like the 123 fingers do. But i have to force them to hehe.

how can i do this? any good ideas?
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Just practice more. The more you practice, they more muscle memory and dexterity you gain. try a 1-2-3-4 1-3-2-4 finger exercise up and down the neck on every string.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
practice practice practice. the chromatic scale is a great place to start to tame those silly fingers.
Do this: Stand facing a wall. Your knuckles of your fretting hand, when placed on the neck, should be approx. one inch from the wall. Start doing scale exercises (or chromatics) using the smallest movements possible. The goal is to not have your fingers fly around and hit the wall. Eventually, you'll learn to control your pinky. This really worked for me.
Quote by stonyman65
Just practice more. The more you practice, they more muscle memory and dexterity you gain. try a 1-2-3-4 1-3-2-4 finger exercise up and down the neck on every string.

This will help immensly but the issue could be like stonyman mentioned above dexterity and strength. Try chromatic exercises with a fourth finger slider like (1-2-3-4/5-4-3-2-1/2-3-4-5/6) to give you a little more control and for more strength try using your pinky on something like this (7h8p7p5) because the relationship between your ring finger and pinky is usually the weakest and it will keep not only your pinky in control but give more strength overall.
I'd recommend isolating the problem digit at first, so that all of your concentration can be focused solely on the thing detrimenting your technique, rather than devoting time and effort into four-finger sequences.
Hover your three fingers above the strings in a ''ready-to-play'' position, just shy of fretting the string, and work on small, focused, and accurate movements with your picky finger, alternating between fretting and hovering with the others. A good goal to set is to have your pinky move no further than your other fingers in their ''hovering'' position, just above the string.

Once you've gotten comfortable with producing these small motions with just your pinky digit, it would be worth running through some two-finger permutations (index and pinky, middle and pinky, and ring and pinky) on each string, and different areas of the fretboard to ensure a well-consolidated and even technique. Three-finger permutations, and then four, would follow, repeating the process on each string and different spots on the fretboard.
It's worth running through these permutations picking each note, to minimize the direct effort needed from the fretting digits, and with hammer-ons and pull-offs, to encourage increased strength and dexterity. The same tactic can be applied to any finger, from step one (for example, you may wish to condition the movements of your ring finger by starting from step one).

I'd say this is a realistic method of improving dexterity and economy/minimization of motion, starting from a basic foundation and gradually increasing the threshold. A short amount of practice with these methods (10 minutes a day is plenty) is enough to show notable progress over a week of input, leaving you plenty more time to work on playing songs, improvising and jamming.
That said, it will take some times before these motions become natural, as it's completely dependent on muscle memory - if you practice exceptionally slowly, with small, controlled, and articulated motions, you can only condition your muscles to play perfectly, and without compromise.

All the best,

ya thx for the replys. Now it makes my fingers sore. Cause for so long ive not worked on it and to consentrate all my fingers to make minimal movemtent. My fingers are boy cotting this idea lol. Ill keep practicing.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
I think you DO need to keep your pinky down to a certain extent. However I do feel a lot of people on this site exaggerate how close it needs to stay.