Page 1 of 2
It can be music, movies, tv shows, etc.

For music, there's this piece by a composer named Charles Valentin-Alkan. The piece is an etude, that is difficult as fuck. It's on piano, and it's only been recorded by a handful of pianists, most of which do very poorly playing it. Alkan was a great romantic-era composer who was on par with Liszt, but this piece is not viewed as his best work, and I understand why. I'll quote the wikipedia page on it:

"The most recurrent criticism of the étude is disparaging its banal programmatic nature, and it is rated very poorly compared with Alkan's other compositions. It is dismissed as 'amusing', with no technical innovations."

However, I LOVE the climax in the piece. It's such a huge adrenaline rush. Here's the only good recording I've found of it (pretty sure it's a computer program playing it):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Le_chemin_de_fer_-_Alkan.ogg

It's not his best, but I love from 3:39 to 3:54.

Also, I like Lily Allen, but her lyrics can be pretty bland sometimes.
Any of TS' music

Jk, I guess Black Album to right before St. Anger Metallica, some of the lyrics can be kinds "ehh" but I really like Load and Reload.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
Saved by the Bell is pretty fun. Rush is hella cheesy but I can handle the lyrics.

Quote by nfjlksfdj12831279
Most of the Ramones' output.

Yeah, there are a few songs that make me want to punch somebody. We're a Happy Family? What is that shit.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Last edited by bradulator at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by bradulator
Yeah, there are a few songs that make me want to punch somebody. We're a Happy Family? What is that shit.

I love that one!

I'm friends with the president, I'm friends with the pope
We're all makin' a fortune sellin' daddy's dope!

The first four records are flawless.
lol, half the ramones stuff sounds the same but its still awesome

i think punk, hardcore, metal, and a lot of modern rock all owe thanks to ramones.
All metal.

Quote by AzureNight
Don't worry guys, he's just bitter because he has a small dick.

Quote by Alexander_BR
You know that good feeling when you take a crap, gay sex is like that

Proud member of the Cardboard Mafia. Search "free boxes" for info.
Last edited by Teh1337Hax0rz at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by neidnarb11890
I love that one!

I'm friends with the president, I'm friends with the pope
We're all makin' a fortune sellin' daddy's dope!

The first four records are flawless.

I hate the vocals in that song for some reason
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I'll play devil's advocate and say Twilight. Though I never thought it was that bad, but not the best either. I was thoroughly disappointed when Jacob didn't die.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
Opeth. Terrible structures and transitions, Mikael does not know how to write a song, but the riffs, note choices and atmosphere are brilliant.

EDIT: And in a way, the novel John Dies at the End. The writing style is pretty poor, the phrase "good book" can't really be applied to it, but it has a perfect blend of horror and comedy. Instead of cancelling each other out or causing mood whiplash, it either seems more realistic that the characters are making jokes to hide their fear, or both the horror and the comedy come from ideas that are just the right amount of absurd to be simultaniously hilarious and disturbing.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by Seref
The Star Wars prequel trilogy.

Deal with it.

I love the prequel trilogy. And both Clone Wars series too.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I don't like things that are badly written, because if i consider something 'badly written' then it means it's bad to experience aswell and therefore i won't like it. Why would i listen to some peice of music if i thought it was bad?

I thought this post was badly written.
lol i was obsessed with alkan when i was in my omg hard piano pieces phase. downloaded a bunch of sheet music too, guy was fucking ridiculous.
i am a freak for the old kung fu movies and the 50's-60's sci-fi movies. i basically live on them. musically i am a huge japan garage fan.
Quote by Zoot Allures
I don't like things that are badly written, because if i consider something 'badly written' then it means it's bad to experience aswell and therefore i won't like it. Why would i listen to some peice of music if i thought it was bad?

Well no, because if something has bad writing it doesn't mean it doesn't have other good qualities. I like some badly written songs because my enjoyment of them has nothing to do with their writing.

Quote by whalepudding
Opeth. Terrible structures and transitions, Mikael does not know how to write a song, but the riffs, note choices and atmosphere are brilliant.

Really? How so?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Katy perry.

60s spiderman

Hannah Montana.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by Kutless Rocker
I'll play devil's advocate and say Twilight. Though I never thought it was that bad, but not the best either. I was thoroughly disappointed when Jacob didn't die.

Yeah i liked twilight as well. Doesn't change the fact that a 10 year old could have written it.
Quote by fail
Really? How so?

The different sections of songs have nothing to do with each other, the songs rarely build up any tension or have any coherent climaxes or main themes or whatever, the transitions often completely dispell any momentum the song has built up. They seem to change direction at random. On their earlier albums they often stopped the song entirely for a few seconds just to get from one riff to another. By the time you're halfway through a song, the only indication you have that it's still the same song is that the track number on the CD player hasn't changed.

Basically, with the exception of a handful of songs, most of their stuff is a bunch of very good riffs stitched together haphazardly and incoherently like a musical Frankingstein.

That's particularly bad for Opeth, because the whole point of their music is the profound, gothic atmosphere. With traditional death metal, it's discordant and jarring music, so discordant and jarring transitions make sense. But with Opeth, the profound mood is really compromised if you find yourself thinking "this entire section is completely abitrary".
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by genghisgandhi
Trout Mask Replica.

Weren't you the guy who said in a previous thread that trout mask replica was the only good music to be released pre '89.

0/10
Quote by spitonastranger
Weren't you the guy who said in a previous thread that trout mask replica was the only good music to be released pre '89.

0/10

This thread is about stuff you like.

0/10 for you.

EDIT - YEAH MAN FREE EARL DAWG FREE EARL THATS THE FUCKING SHIT AND IF YOU DISAGREE LICK A COUPLE PIMPLE COVERED DICKS SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG
Last edited by genghisgandhi at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by spitonastranger

0/10
If you are going to use condescending pseudo-curiosity as an argument, you may as well put correct punctuation at the end of your questions.
Quote by genghisgandhi
Too much dissonance.

If something is intentionally a certain way, then it's not 'badly written' if the composer had that in mind.

A badly written song would be someone attempting to make a stereotypical rock song, lets say inspired by AC/DC but instead they came out with some jumble of synth riffs and a load of sloppily played instrumentation that didn't have anything to do with rock music. It would be nothing like the intended item and it would therefore be 'badly written'.
Death rock-era rudimentary peni. Simple, somewhat awful lyrics, set to dark simple music. I absolutely love it
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Page 1 of 2