The name pretty much says it all. I am looking into buying a matched pair (I like fairly consistent tone across my pickups) of either Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros, or Dimarzio Air Classics.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?question=APH-1+Seymour
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?question=Air+Classic+Dimarzio

Does anyone round these parts have experience with either (or, ideally, both) of these pickups? What can you tell me? I play a lot of jammy/ bluesy rock (think Duane Allman, Trey Anastasio tones) plus a bunch of jazz, on a maple-necked HH Strat.

Any help is VERY appreciated. I've been agonizing for days.
I also play that sort of music and I would definitely take the seymor duncan alcino pickups, simply because they are more suited to that style of music. I also don't really like DiMarzio pickups.
Yeah, I've only ever known of Dimarzios as metal pups. But the air classics, from what I've heard, are sort of vintage voiced. Does "Airbucker Technology" actually affect the sound noticably?
I'd recommend anything but a Alnico II Pro... it'll basically sound like turd unless you have a rig that costs more than America's deficit. The pup isn't bad per se, what it does is that is really allows a good rig to shine through.

If you have an awesome rig, all well and fine. However, if you're one of us chums, chances are that the Alnico Pro II just won't shine at all for you.

The Air Classic range is pretty good for a vintage-y tone. Although one thing I did find was that the Air Classic is a tad dark, so you might want to consider install a treble bleed on your volume pot. Otherwise its fine, the other alternative is the PAF 36th Anniversary... but that is a little more middy than the Air Classic.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
get the Air Classic or the 36th anniversary PAF.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
ragingkitty, thanks, that was very helpful. My guitar has a maple fretboard, so I'm not too worried about the tone being too dark. My guitar is pretty bright.

holycow, I have no reason to take your advice until you actually communicate something. If someone posted "dood buy a bugera" you would probably not follow their advice.
Well, I have alnico pro II's in my xtone and I don't have amazing gear and they sound awesome. I play through a blackheart handsome devil, cmatmods signa drive. Incredible for classic rock, blues and jazz. They are too round and warm for metal though.

My xtone should be darker sounding than your guitar.
Quote by fingerstile
ragingkitty, thanks, that was very helpful. My guitar has a maple fretboard, so I'm not too worried about the tone being too dark. My guitar is pretty bright.

actually it's not an inherently dark pickup, PAFs then to be a tad brighter than they are bassier... whereas the Air Classics then to be generally balance bass and treble wise. Which is what I meant by being a tad dark, it's not dark, but it can be s smidge brighter. It's kinda hard to explain until you hear the Airs for yourself.

Quote by Grawgos
Well, I have alnico pro II's in my xtone and I don't have amazing gear and they sound awesome. I play through a blackheart handsome devil, cmatmods signa drive. Incredible for classic rock, blues and jazz. They are too round and warm for metal though.

Well awesome sounding is subjective right? The way I feel it, is that your rig can sound significantly better if you used something else other than AP2s. YMMV
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
From SD I'd take a pair of Pearly Gates' instead.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ragingkitty
actually it's not an inherently dark pickup, PAFs then to be a tad brighter than they are bassier... whereas the Air Classics then to be generally balance bass and treble wise. Which is what I meant by being a tad dark, it's not dark, but it can be s smidge brighter. It's kinda hard to explain until you hear the Airs for yourself.

Well awesome sounding is subjective right? The way I feel it, is that your rig can sound significantly better if you used something else other than AP2s. YMMV

yup, awesome is very subjective and if the TS could play my rig, he may or may not agree with me. but to state that unless his rig cost as much as the US debt, they will make it sound like a turd is just misleading and a completely assanine statement.
i have never once questioned these pickups or thought about changing them. they sound thick, clear, articulate and no mud present in the sound at all.

You know i normally respect your opinion, but I can't on this issue. i guess we will have to agree to disagree. Tone is subjective after all.
Quote by Grawgos
yup, awesome is very subjective and if the TS could play my rig, he may or may not agree with me. but to state that unless his rig cost as much as the US debt, they will make it sound like a turd is just misleading and a completely assanine statement.
i have never once questioned these pickups or thought about changing them. they sound thick, clear, articulate and no mud present in the sound at all.

You know i normally respect your opinion, but I can't on this issue. i guess we will have to agree to disagree. Tone is subjective after all.

Is it an asinine statement when it was in fact, a metaphor?
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Well, as the pickups both have proponents, and are both described as being the sound that I like, I've decided to go with the Air Classics, to see if this "Aibucker Technology" does anything. And MF has a good return policy, anyways
Quote by fingerstile
Well, as the pickups both have proponents, and are both described as being the sound that I like, I've decided to go with the Air Classics, to see if this "Aibucker Technology" does anything. And MF has a good return policy, anyways

It probably do something, but the effect is so subtle you probably won't notice it's presence. It'd probably take a lot of experience and testing to be able to tell what impact that pickup design has.

In any case the strength of the magnet is so low I doubt that it has that much impact on string pull to begin with.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )