Poll Options
View poll results: Is this legal?
Yes, clearly this is legal
16 30%
No, it's not (post your explanation)
38 70%
Voters: 54.
Page 1 of 2
So a local business installed a "teenager deterrent" today by installing a speaker that emits a constant 18kHz tone. The thing is BLARING at ungodly volumes and is actually painful to be near. Now, I am not a teenager by any means, but this friggin hurts!!! Not only can you hear it near the store and IN the store, but you can actually still hear it from the sidewalk. Is this legal/right??!?
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
How do they expect to get any business, if this thing is blaring, as you say?

The legality of the matter would depend upon where you are. The moral correctness of the matter (being subjective) is that, in my humble opinion, it is not right to ruin the ears of potential customers.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 1, 2011,
pretty sure you sure protest because That shit is messed up!
“being in a room and sitting there with a ghost, hearing their voice in your head and seeing them as clearly as I'm seeing you right now.”
Pretty sure if you complain about the noise there will be some bylaw they can enforce.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
How do they expect to get any business, if this thing is blaring, as you say?

To prevent 20 posts similar to this, typically adults can't hear frequencies that high, but teenagers and kids can.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Sounds like a good way to run a horrible business...

Seriously what's the point of pissing off all their customers? What kind of store is it?
It is a convenience store that is open until 2 am.
They're probably going to a lose a fair amount of business, teenagers love convenience.
They've probably been robbed repeatedly and had lots of shoplifting if they're resorting to that. It sucks for you, but it's probably great for them. Don't know about the legality, but if it weren't loud, it wouldn't work.

Talk to an authority about it instead of bitching here and you'll find out for sure.
Last edited by D&DLover at Aug 1, 2011,
put a lower case t in front of their store to stand for "time to get out" and light it on fire!
A convenience store wants to get rid of teenagers? **** 'em. They're clearly no good at business and they'll be gone soon.
I remember this being a pretty big thing a while back.

It's disgusting, backwards, and frankly illogical when you think about it.
Quote by D&DLover
They've probably been robbed repeatedly and had lots of shoplifting if they're resorting to that. It sucks for you, but it's probably great for them. Don't know about the legality. Probably nothing illegal, but if it weren't loud, it wouldn't work.

They haven't ever been robbed to my knowledge (we are a small community) and they do get some shoplifting I imagine, but they did this to "deter" teenagers from hanging out in front of the store.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
They haven't ever been robbed to my knowledge (we are a small community) and they do get some shoplifting I imagine, but they did this to "deter" teenagers from hanging out in front of the store.

Ah. Well, it's stupid and not really fair, so you should talk to someone about it.
Pretty sure it isnt illegal unless its pissing EVERYONE in the area off, and if guys you really have a problem with it get everyone to sign a petition to turn the shit off
Last edited by nfrench7fold at Aug 1, 2011,
Well, teenagers hangin' out in front of the store probably acts as an older person deterrent, and older people have more money & are allowed to buy things like beer & cigarettes.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Well, teenagers hangin' out in front of the store probably acts as an older person deterrent, and older people have more money & are allowed to buy things like beer & cigarettes.

Since when is this true? Last time I checked teenagers have WAY more disposable income than "older people"
I've heard of busy bus stops around here have speakers with a buzz that only younger people can hear.

Supposedly it's so teenagers don't hang around here for a while...
sim simma

who got the keys to my beema
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Since when is this true? Last time I checked teenagers have WAY more disposable income than "older people"

Yeah, teenagers who have jobs, not teenagers who bum around in front of convenience stores.
There's small plazas here that blare country music to make kids/gangster fags **** off. I'm all for it.
Seriously, it's a private business and they can do whatever they want. If they wanted they could flat out not serve teens. Clearly you have a problem with douchebags hanging around there and they took care of it. It's not like you can't actually get something from there, it's just to prevent you from sticking around.

Lastly, if it really is loud enough that it bothers people outside, the police MAY ask them to turn it down, but besides that, it's pretty damn legal...
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
An honest suggestion -- organize a boycott. Not just teenagers, try and get adults on board with you as well. Use the media outlets you have available to you: newspaper (letter to the editor, etc.); social networks; news stations (try contacting them about the boycott). It might take time to organize, but it will set a precedent in your area giving more power to people -- and less to the capricious whim of business owners -- in your area for hopefully years to come.
lol, my parents can hear that "mosquito noise" or whatever that people over 40 or something arent supposed to hear, and they're both in their 50's

asian genetics will do me well for my music future i guess
Quote by floydrose09
put a lower case t in front of their store to stand for "time to get out" and light it on fire!

+1
I think some sort of "disturbing the peace" suit is in order from a legal standpoint.

morally, it depends; If the kids and teenagers of the area are violent, destructive, cretins, with no regard for the property of others, I say they should do it until they're stopped. If not and these people are just being pessimistic then they should take the stick from their asses and cut it out.
Quote by losing battle
Sell earplugs at inflated prices to teens so they can continue to loiter.

This is what I would do.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
does your country have noise pollution laws? if yes then there you go
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I remember hearing about this a few years ago but I've never seen it actually put in practice beyond the random people who have them as their ringtones or whatever for some stupid reason.
Quote by The Madcap
I think judging by the title it's emitted at a pitch that younger people can hear, but most older people can't.

This. And they've had them for years.
I can't hear them that clearly, and I'm not that old.
I think the store cleaner running outside with a mop and shouting at the kids to **** off would be a more effective means.
Page 1 of 2