Hey guys, I'm going off to college in a month and I need something to record with. Nothing great quality, but as good as possible. I'd like to spend around $150, used is fine. I already have a junky Spider III for a practice amp to drag along.

I've been looking at the Vox Jamvox, the Stealthplug, and the Line 6 POD 2, Floor Pod, and Studio Pod GX with Podfarm.

So basically, does anybody have experience with any of these, warnings, recommendations, ect? I like the speakers on the Vox, although I have an amp already, and good computer speakers, but it might be limited to its own program, and it seems aimed towards n00bs. The Stealthplug and Studio Pod seem similar, but I like the foot controls/possible foot controls on the Floor Pod/POD 2. Help me decide!
Reaching out to embrace the random,
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.
Get a Pod uX1 or 2 and use podfarm

great little amp mod that you can get some great tones out of!
If I were you I would buy a stand alone interface and then go about finding free guitar effects and sims online. However...and I ususally get shot for saying this, I highly recommend Guitar Rig 4 when it comes to paid interface/effects bundles. I'm sorry I don't have any input on any of the things you listed though.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
Any recommendation on an interface then? Pretty sure I could use the pod studio as one besides for pod farm.

And for what I'm looking for, I'm guessing computer based is better off than exterior hardware like a multi-fx or amp modeller?
You can pick up a used Presonus Audiobox for ike 80 bucks. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
The JamVox is cheap and has some cool software. I really like mine a lot, but the quality of the modeling is not the best. You should be able to get an RP355 off eBay for that price. That's my recommendation. It has a USB audio interface.
I'll check out the digitech! Those things are just so darn ugly, I hate that casio keyboard look where you look up the number of the tones and stuff on the little chart.

The presonus was around $150 used, and while it's probably great, I kinda need something more all-inclusive for the money.

The Jamvox is only 70 now, and there's a Tonelab ST for 99 at my guitarcenter used?
Quote by fly135
The JamVox is cheap and has some cool software. I really like mine a lot, but the quality of the modeling is not the best. You should be able to get an RP355 off eBay for that price. That's my recommendation. It has a USB audio interface.

This

The rp355 has great USB recording and you can edit your patches using x edit. I highly recommend it.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by BrokenDstring
You can pick up a used Presonus Audiobox for ike 80 bucks. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

+1

And they are just $150.00 new anyway, and that is still within your budget. I bought mine new at the local GC for that price. For me, it is a tad bit hard to use at first, but within a few days I was up and recording for my new life as a Youboob rockstar ( ). I'd recommend taking a look at it.

Edit to add, I'd recommend staying away from the Vox JamVox unit, the modelling is poor and the overall recording quality lacks a lot IMHO.
Last edited by IbanezBossShred at Aug 1, 2011,
i've done a lot of recording running my peavey vypyr through the headphone jack into an interface and recording with it. the downside is you need the Sanpera footswitch to really make it useful but for recording that may not be a problem