Page 1 of 5

1) Does it matter which direction the string is fed into tuning pegs (you'll notice my high and low E are fed in different from the rest)?

2) Can tuning half a step UP and leaving it like that help the strings adjust when you go back to normal tuning?

Thanks heaps
1) Yes, you dun goof'd. They're all supposed to go to the inside for the straightest string pull and so that they tighten in the same direction.

2) No. It won't do anything. Just stretch them like you're supposed to and it's much quicker and more effective.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
This is serious lulz.

EDIT: /thread
Guitars:
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Les Paul Bfg
Acoustics
Ibanez GSR200FM Bass
Amps:
Bugera V55HD w/avatar cab
Fender Champ 600 with 4 ohm cab
70s traynor 200w head with 2 9x8 cabs for bass
Last edited by kmaster 1337 at Aug 1, 2011,
You should really feed the strings in the same way. The reason for this is if you accidentally wind the tuning peg in the wrong direction & break the string. However, if you're careful this shouldn't happen.
Rock [James] Roll
I feel this message should be separate from my other in order to be constructive but retain the insight and punch of the first post, which I feel is valid. This is just a bit of additional useful information if you are a 45 year old new guitarist.
Though his other posts don't seem very mature.

When doing the "over-under" wrapping techique, it is best to only have one wrap on top and retail some tension while wrapping to get a tight fit.

Get taught with real information before potentially abusing the baby, please. Talk to a reputable local guitar tech?
Guitars:
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Gibson Les Paul Bfg
Acoustics
Ibanez GSR200FM Bass
Amps:
Bugera V55HD w/avatar cab
Fender Champ 600 with 4 ohm cab
70s traynor 200w head with 2 9x8 cabs for bass
You didn't notice that you had to turn the tuner in the opposite direction to tighten it when you were winding it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
As i know its been pointed out plenty of times, atleast its sorted now! Im sure it being wound
differently wouldn't effect playing, just making tuning a bit annoying.

I have nothing useful to add, but, you haven't strung a guitar before, but you have a Les Paul Traditional? What have you been doing all this time? haha
I missed the second question. Here's how you do it. With your left hand grasp the neck so you are holding the strings with your fingers. Now with your right hand, grab each string in turn halfway between the tailpiece and your left hand and reef up on them hard, say an inch or so away from the fretboard . Do that two or three times. Retune, do it again. Keep doing it until they no longer go out of tune. They are now settled in and ready to roll.
I used to change strings right before every gig and I never had problems with waiting for them to adjust. Wind the strings onto the post properly in the first place, avoid overlaps except on the locking twist at the start if you're into that, give 'em hell as I described and they'll stay in tune beautifully. This also will give you a good idea when your tuners need replacing because you will never be able to pull the string and have it stay in tune.
I use this technique to keep an eye on my tuners in the same way that you check intonation to gauge the health of your strings.

This is how it should look.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by jaybals
As i know its been pointed out plenty of times, atleast its sorted now! Im sure it being wound
differently wouldn't effect playing, just making tuning a bit annoying.

I have nothing useful to add, but, you haven't strung a guitar before, but you have a Les Paul Traditional? What have you been doing all this time? haha

I had an Epiphone Les Paul for 6+ months, never had to/bothered to restring. Just got a Gibson Les Paul and decided to restring a week later for practice.
Quote by Cathbard
I missed the second question. Here's how you do it. With your left hand grasp the neck so you are holding the strings with your fingers. Now with your right hand, grab each string in turn halfway between the tailpiece and your left hand and reef up on them hard, say an inch or so away from the fretboard . Do that two or three times. Retune, do it again. Keep doing it until they no longer go out of tune. They are now settled in and ready to roll.
I used to change strings right before every gig and I never had problems with waiting for them to adjust. Wind the strings onto the post properly in the first place, avoid overlaps except on the locking twist at the start if you're into that, give 'em hell as I described and they'll stay in tune beautifully. This also will give you a good idea when your tuners need replacing because you will never be able to pull the string and have it stay in tune.
I use this technique to keep an eye on my tuners in the same way that you check intonation to gauge the health of your strings.

Cheers, I prefer restringing my way as for some reason the strings become a bit more loose, and its easier for me to play.

The second question is just can the EAD strings settle in (i.e. become less steely sounding) faster if you tune half a step up, leave it on for a day or so, and then go back to standard tuning
No. That's not how chemistry works. You have to play them and sweat to make them oxidize faster.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Cathbard

I hate that string technique, it always falls out of tune for me, even when techs do it(luithor did it once when he fret leveled my Squiers neck).

I've always been good with the good ole fashion technique, just get 3 winds and your fine.
Quote by Privet Tovarish
Cheers, I prefer restringing my way as for some reason the strings become a bit more loose, and its easier for me to play.

Looser? I.e. Out of tune?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by denied
a) You bought a Gibson Traditional and don't know how to restring a guitar?

b) "Restrung" not "Restringed"

Stretch the strings as you restring, that will stabilize them so it doesn't go out of tune immediately afterwards. Tuning up a halfstep is unnecessary.

Jealous?
Quote by Privet Tovarish
Not that important to me

Being in tune isn't important to you? What the **** are you playing?

EDIT: And before you say I'm jealous, 4 or 5 my pedals are worth more than your guitar.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by mmolteratx
Being in tune isn't important to you? What the **** are you playing?

EDIT: And before you say I'm jealous, 4 or 5 my pedals are worth more than your guitar.

It makes bends work better for me, my fingers dont flick the higher strings

And you are jealous thats why you (and most others here) are being complete tools and telling me indirectly that I'm not "worthy" of my guitar.

$4000 Strat, $4000 in pedals, $2800 map. Yup. Tots jealous. If I were jealous of an LP traditional, I'd buy one.

And bends being easier doesn't matter one bit if you're out of tune.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by mmolteratx

$4000 Strat, $4000 in pedals, $2800 map. Yup. Tots jealous.

Started with a Les Paul Trad, you probably started with a Squier.
Nope. Started with a '61 RI SG and bought a Les Paul Standard shortly after. You know, the one that's a step up from the Traditional.

Other people have money to blow too, you know that, right?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Nope. Started with a '61 RI SG and bought a Les Paul Standard shortly after. You know, the one that's a step up from the Traditional.

Other people have money to blow too, you know that, right?

Wow I started with a LP Trad I'm cooler than you.

No seriously, grow up. You're just jealous and have nothing better to do than bash others who are more successful than you.
Quote by Privet Tovarish
It makes bends work better for me, my fingers dont flick the higher strings

And you are jealous thats why you (and most others here) are being complete tools and telling me indirectly that I'm not "worthy" of my guitar.

If you want looser strings, you change string size, or tune down. You don't play out of tune.

And I still think it's hilarious that you went out and bought a Gibson without any idea how to take care of it.
Quote by denied
If you want looser strings, you change string size, or tune down. You don't play out of tune.

And I still think it's hilarious that you went out and bought a Gibson without any idea how to take care of it.

It's a gibson I really dont need to take care of it, it'll outlive me anyway. And you dont think its hilarious, you're sad that you couldnt start off with as nice of a guitar
Quote by Privet Tovarish

No seriously, grow up. You're just jealous and have nothing better to do than bash others who are more successful than you.

More successful? That's funny.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Privet Tovarish

No seriously, grow up.

You are claiming you are cooler because of your 'better' gear, and making accusations of childish behaviour?

You're just jealous and have nothing better to do than bash others who are more successful than you.[

Your inferior gear (don't get me wrong, it's a great guitar, but seriously...calling it better than a custom shop strat.....) = more successful?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27789961&postcount=9

Thats all you need to know.

Here is what I do.
re-string according to above link, but 1 step higher. Leave it overnight (I have 5 guitars so thats not a problem for me). Go back the next day. Tune to pitch. DONE.

Now behave or there will be no plum pudding for desert.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by denied

You are claiming you are cooler because of your 'better' gear, and making accusations of childish behaviour?

Your inferior gear (don't get me wrong, it's a great guitar, but seriously...calling it better than a custom shop strat.....) = more successful?

That was sarcasm.

And stop denying you all are jealous. If you werent, you wouldnt have come into this thread and attacked me for no reason whatsoever.
Quote by Privet Tovarish
The moment I saw your apartment in that pic I LOL'd hahahaha

I own a 6k square foot house in the wealthiest neighborhood in Texas, bro. That pic was taken shortly after I moved in since everything was thrown together in a spare room.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Privet Tovarish
It's a gibson I really dont need to take care of it, it'll outlive me anyway.

Correct. Never learn anything about your guitar. Anyone who tells you otherwise is trolling.

And you dont think its hilarious, you're sad that you couldnt start off with as nice of a guitar

Yes. Devastated.

I wuD LykE 1 DaY 2 b rEbOrn aZ a rIcH cHYlD. ThEn I KaN haS DaDdy bAi Me a FANCY gWItaR aNd I KaN ShoW it oFF on teh InterWeBz.
Read the whole thread...
Privet Tovarish....
You are a dick.

Hell, my first guitar I got for $25 at a yard sale.
An then I made a new body for it.
Why?
Cause I didn't have money.
Quote by mmolteratx

I own a 6k square foot house in the wealthiest neighborhood in Texas, bro. That pic was taken shortly after I moved in since everything was thrown together in a spare room.

Yeh bro, and Im Bill Gates' child, I have a pool of money next to my golden guitar case to store my sick guitar in.

No seriously, its the interwebz and you can make stuff up, you're unemployed too... aww cute
Quote by mmolteratx

$4000 Strat, $4000 in pedals, $2800 map. Yup. Tots jealous. If I were jealous of an LP traditional, I'd buy one.

And bends being easier doesn't matter one bit if you're out of tune.

Nice gear man.

Flashing avatar guy, I would follow cathbards advice on the restringing process. He's been at it for a lot longer than you and he knows what he's doing.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by Privet Tovarish
That was sarcasm.

And stop denying you all are jealous. If you werent, you wouldnt have come into this thread and attacked me for no reason whatsoever.

Actually, I gave you excellent advice. I questioned the intelligence of buying an expensive guitar that you have no idea how to use.

And you're absolutely right. I must be jealous. After all, you have a FANCY guitar, and I only have boring stuff like this

Quote by CodeMonk
Read the whole thread...
Privet Tovarish....
You are a dick.

Why dont you read the whole thread, and watch how everyone is flaming me who only asked geniune questions to be greeted with responses indirectly saying "you're not worthy of your guitar"
Quote by kutless999
Nice gear man.

Flashing avatar guy, I would follow cathbards advice on the restringing process. He's been at it for a lot longer than you and he knows what he's doing.

I WILL follow it actually, and am grateful the advice was given. I dont appreciate everyone coming here and flaming over what guitar I have due to jealousy
FIRST NEGATIVE COMMENT IN THIS THREAD:
Quote by Privet Tovarish
Thanks, I've restringed it and its all good now.

To all you jealous trolls, just keep showing it

Hell...my BJFT collection is worth more than your guitar.
Page 1 of 5