Hey!

I want to form a band, but I know little about theory. I am going to be the rythm guitar and maybe sing. As for theory I know the pentatonic scale, the blues scale, multiple forms of power chords and the basic A,D,G,C chords.

Question 1: Is this too little theory to start a band?

Question 2: Thing is I have looked in tabs from different bands, and I am capable of writing music in the style of a band, but I am worried I can't use those things I write in my own band because the band I "analysed" have already invented that style?
Never hurts to try, find some people to jam with/form band with while progressing in your guitar playing. Playing with others helps you progress a lot faster.
Having even a basic grasp of theory is a help, but it is not a requirement to start a band.
yeah go for it, i know less of theory than you, and i have a band, 1 week ago i had my first live performance , it's not somthing that you'll to be a pro, just to try dude, and just being there playing with more ppl than just you, it's way more fun, you really have fun as guitarist if you have a drummer trust me
Living is a bless, most of the people just exist

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
Last edited by gutu at Aug 1, 2011,
I'm know next to nothing theory wise and it hasn't stopped me, so long as you can read a tab go for it.
As for the style bit, every band takes influence from somewhere, just have a go at writing and taking styles from different bands you like and so long as you're not copying the riffs then i'd say it's fine to use you can't develop your own style unless you've got some influences in there, gives you something to build on
Quote by AndyBFMV
I'm know next to nothing theory wise and it hasn't stopped me, so long as you can read a tab go for it.
As for the style bit, every band takes influence from somewhere, just have a go at writing and taking styles from different bands you like and so long as you're not copying the riffs then i'd say it's fine to use you can't develop your own style unless you've got some influences in there, gives you something to build on

I'm not copying the riffs, but I start to think: "OH... that's something THAT band could have done! damn ... "

Anyway thanks guys, i'll give it a go!
Just get together with some friends and start jamming on a song you all know fairly well, thats what we did. From there we went into a 5 minute jam session. Afterwards we all kind of realised that we were really digging this stuff, so we stuck together and our band was ''formed''.
Cool, Haydenr25!

But what I mean is that it's easy to play in the characteristics of a band and I still feel like a copycat for doing it O.o Even if we structure songs differently.