I'm just about to string my ESP LTD H401 FM, and I usually play in Drop C, though I occasionally tune up to standard tuning. When setting up the guitar for the first time, should I let it settle into standard tuning first and then drop it down to C, or would I have better tuning stability if I set it to Drop C straightaway? If I set it to C, I presume it would not hold standard tuning well If I tuned up, but is that worth it for better stability in Drop C?

Thanks
This all depends on how stabil your tuning in general is, for starters. But if you "usually" play in C and just "occassionally" play in standard tuning I would leave it in C to begin with. In those rare moments when you will play in standard you'll just have to be a bit patient with it, keep tuning until it stops going out of tune.

Other thing you could do is get another guitar. I bought my second guitar almost only for the fact that I could then switch tunings just by grabbing my other guitar.
I'd tune it so standard first, and stretch the string whilst doing so. Just keep tuning, then stretching then tuning then stretching etc. Do this until you can stretch the string and it will stay in tune, then tune to drop C and you should be able to tune back to standard without any trouble
Quote by MrWilson6
I'd tune it so standard first, and stretch the string whilst doing so. Just keep tuning, then stretching then tuning then stretching etc. Do this until you can stretch the string and it will stay in tune, then tune to drop C and you should be able to tune back to standard without any trouble

I really don't see what help that would be if he's playing in drop C most of the time. Definitely just tune up to drop C.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
If you stretch the strings it stops them from slipping and stretching further when more tension is applied which therefore reduces tuning issues. So when you switch between tunings you arent gonna need to tune it repeatedly before it will actually stay in tune.