If you have a pattern like this

3 5 7

which finger would you use to play the 5. Ive been using my ring finger up until now. I understand that you can use any finger you want but technically which is more economical?
It depends on what precedes/succeeds it. As a default, I tend to use the middle finger, it's just more comfortable for me that way.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Middle finger would be the most comfortable for me in this case.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Middle finger would be the the easiest I think. It also depends on how big your hand/fingers are. I have relatively small hands and fingers. so for a 3 5 7 pattern I use index middle and pinky. But for 3 5 6, I use index, ring & pinky.

Good luck =)

My equip ^^

Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Gretsch G5120 Electromatic
Squier Telecaster Custom

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange PPC 410 Cabinet
Think the middle finger is the best solution but do what feel most comfy for yourselves!
Just Keep practicing
Middle. I would say that anatomically you have more strength and flexibility between your index-->middle than you do between your ring-->pinky, so I'd personally prefer to make the stretch with the index-->middle. But your method isn't "wrong." Try both in different scenarios.

Paul Gilbert will contextually use his ring, if he's coming out of a 134 fingering pattern beforehand anyway. I've tried that just to try it, and it... hurts
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by mrbabo91
If you have a pattern like this

3 5 7

which finger would you use to play the 5. Ive been using my ring finger up until now. I understand that you can use any finger you want but technically which is more economical?

I think what fingers we use for certain licks and how comfortable we feel using those fingers are different for all of us. Always do what makes you comfortable.

In this case, I would use my first (index), second (middle) and fourth (pinky) fingers for this lick, and that's the way I find it most comfortable.

I think it would be better if you play it the way you find easy, regardless of what others say. Try playing the lick using both fingers for the 5th fret, the middle and ring fingers, one by one, and then practice it the way you find comfortbale.
Last edited by zuhairreza at Aug 1, 2011,
When playing 3 5 7, Index, ring, pinky

When playing 7 5 3, Pinky, middle, index.
Quote by Steve635z

You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by Steve635z

That doesn't make much sense at all, I mean, if you're repeating something going up and down that shape you're going to switch fingers?

TS: Really you should aim to be able to use either finger but biologically the best way to do it would be to use the middle and not the ring. The ring and pinky fingers share a tendon which can make using those fingers independently quite a challenge at best and because of that they'll never be 100% independent of one another.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
That doesn't make much sense at all, I mean, if you're repeating something going up and down that shape you're going to switch fingers?

I can play both ways and if I have to I will. But it is more comfortable for me that way for some reason.

When playing 3 5 7 the stretch between index and middle feels uncomfortable.

When playing 7 5 3 the stretch between pinky and ring feels uncomfortable.

Strange I know..
I personally use my index ring and pinky but as Aleksi stated It depends on what precedes/succeeds it. Like many have said its all about which fingering pattern you find most comfortable. I also agree that it is good to be able to use both middle and ring but from default I personally use index ring pinky hope i make sense
Whatever is comfortable. Index, middle, pinky for me, though. I also find that by doing it that way, my ring finger is in a more advantageous position for whatever I might need it for next.