So, I like my Jackson RR5, it's a pretty sweet little axe, but my main problem with it at the moment seems to be tuning stability.

For some reason, even with new-ish strings (just put them on about a week ago), whenever I do bends on the high E or B string, if I bend high enough (something like 3 half steps) I hear this little popping noise that seems to be coming from the general direction of the tuning head area. I then proceed to play and my string seems out of tune. The string is now something like a quarter step flat, and I have to re-tune it, only for it to happen immediately the next time I do a bend large enough, with which my playing is very often.

Is there something fundamentally wrong about the setup of my guitar, or do I just need better tuners?

I'm using 9's in Eflat standard by the way. Would my tuning issues be less of a problem if I was using 10's or something? (although that would be a bit too hard to bend for me, being 25.5" scale)

The tuners are the stock Jackson tuners that came with it.

All strings are wrapped around the posts at least 2.5 to 3 times btw, which has always been sufficient for me in the past.
Last edited by fixationdarknes at Aug 1, 2011,
Sounds like it may be hanging in the nut, file the nut a little if you know how, if not take it to a tech.
I usually do some kind of overlapping of the strings so the own presure of the strings keeps them in place, but maybe the strings are just not set yet. Try to pull the strings away from the board, flatting them, then tune them again. Do this many times and keep tuning them back. Sooner or later the strings will have stretched out and wont to that thing. But if they keep doing it, consider getting some locking tuners.
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
the noise is probably the sound of strings sliding over the nut. Try rubbing the grooves in the nut with a pencil tip for better friction.
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
What do you mean the strings sliding over the nut?

And I think you guys misunderstand me, I'm not saying this happens only with new strings, but even with new ones (as I had thought maybe it was because they were old that they weren't staying in tune). On this guitar the strings just don't stay in tune too well, regardless of string age.
the plink sound is the string moving in the nut slot. when a string binds at the nut and then un kinks it will make this sound. before tuning just give each string a little tug behind the nut chances are you'll hear that sound. ater tuning do the same and keepat it until you don't hear the plink and the guitar is in tune. your nut is slotted well that is the problem.
Quote by hames jetfield
the noise is probably the sound of strings sliding over the nut. Try rubbing the grooves in the nut with a pencil tip for better friction.

+1 - Best answer yet. Graphite will lubricate the nut and stop the pop.
yeah, it's probably the nut.

i'm guessing the jackson tuners are rebranded gotohs (the jacksons are made in japan, gotoh is japanese, they look like gotohs... ), in which case they're probably fine. Even if not, they're probably fine.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by fixationdarknes
And I think you guys misunderstand me, I'm not saying this happens only with new strings, but even with new ones.

New strings will cause as much of a pain (if not more) if you dont stretch them properly. Like I said in my other post, if you dont stretch them well, any bend, even your fingers pressing down the string, will make the string stretch a little and go out of tune.

I would rub a pencil in the nut like someone else suggested, and stretch the strings properly. I cant imagine how a guitar like that (in the $1k right? would need a switch in the tunners unless it was like 45 years old. Otherwise I'd never buy a Jackson again.
It happens with old strings too though.

How do you "stretch" them? I've never had this issue with any of my other guitars.

So, if I don't deliberately stretch them when first putting them on, even months of playing them won't cause them to have stretched already?
i normally fret a note and then pull the string a fair bit. i repeat until they feel "stretched-in".

i normally fret at frets 3,5,7,9,12 and pull the string at each one.

No idea if you need to do it that way but stretching definitely helps. I guess playing for a while will stretch them too, but a concerted effort at doing it does it more quickly and reliably. I guess an analogy would be breaking in a speaker... normal playing will break it in, but a concerted effort to break the thing in using proper break-in technique will break it in more quickly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
As mentioned before, it sounds like the strings could be pinching in the nut which is causing them to not slide back through their individual slot, making them go out of tune. Open up the slots if you can, but not to much. Go easy. Also, try using 10's for Eb. It's all preference anyway, but 9's in Eb must be pretty slinky-like. I prefer 11-49s in Eb, though.

Also, you can invest in some Sperzel locking tuners for about 50 bucks, I think. They're easy to install and make string changing a breeze. I have 2 guitars that I installed Sperzel locking tuners on and couldn't be happier. I'll always use those tuners.
ESP Eclipse II SW - D'Addario 11-49 Eb
LTD F-400FM - Ernie Ball 12-56 C#
Ibanez Iceman 300
Peavey Transtube 112 EFX
I'm not really sure how to do anything you guys are saying regarding the nut, other than rub a pencil in it How do I "file/slot/open up the nut/slots?"

Quote by Dave_Mc
i normally fret a note and then pull the string a fair bit. i repeat until they feel "stretched-in".

i normally fret at frets 3,5,7,9,12 and pull the string at each one.

Before you tighten them up after putting them on? And where do you pull? Near the bridge?
Quote by fixationdarknes
I'm not really sure how to do anything you guys are saying regarding the nut, other than rub a pencil in it How do I "file/slot/open up the nut/slots?"

Before you tighten them up after putting them on? And where do you pull? Near the bridge?

you can always take the guitar to a tech and have it set up properly which if it hasn't been it really should be. a tech can do the nut as part of the set up. if you reread my suggestion it should be clear on what to do as far as unkinking the string at the nut (just push on the strings halfway between the nut and the tuner)

as far as the nut goes using a fine metal file will work but you have to be very careful.
Quote by fixationdarknes

oh no i put them on and tune up to pitch and then start stretching. I normally pull pretty much where I'd pick, over the pickups. And they'll go out of tune while stretching, so tuning back up to pitch while stretching will be necessary.

Basically you'll feel them change in feel when they're stretched in. They also should hold pitch better while stretching when they're ready.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?