Lately I've been drifting away from metal and getting to discover and learn other genres, and I came across Django Reinhardt and was really impressed by his work, so this piece is heavily influenced by his music.
I wrote this in like 30 minutes, it's short but I'm trying to see if I'm any good at this, I also have almost no music theory knowledge but I've been playing for some time and know my way around chords (even though I can't name them for shit), but I used some basic chords here anyway.
Attachments:
song thing jazz.gp5
song thing jazz.gp4
Last edited by Portuguese_boy at Aug 1, 2011,
Very cool piece, it really has that gypsy music kind of vibe to it.
For not knowing a lot of music theory, this was imo well written and you used the chromatics very well, no notes felt off or anything. You also did a good job with the time signatures, it can be hard to get a good flow in 5/4, but it worked out well! Seems really hard to play that lead guitar though , but I guess it is possible.

It is, as you've rightfully said, a short piece as it is right now, and as I've said, I liked it and think you should continue this, make it longer, perhaps throw in some new rhythms and chords for the rhythm part to make it more interesting, I think this was a perfect length for this part though.
Not bad, but you have to ease up a bit.
Track 2 has 8th and 16th notes going all the time, you have to make it flow better.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
This doesn't sound too bad! quite enjoyable but if you did have some music theory training it could have helped a bit. In my highschool guitar class we studied gypsy jazz and wrote our own melody line to a standard sound chord progression. One thing i noticed on your piece is the lack of dissonance or tension and if you listen to alot gypsy jazz it kinda has that uneasy feeling even when it's like really happy. Another thing I've noticed is that it's lacking a real melody. Even if it is a solo kinda thing it would be cool to include a 4 bar phrase or some sort of melodic theme to work off of instead of going and just wanking it.
1 word. Phrygian.

The acompaniment was great but the lead sounded like a video game theme. Use more phrygian modes. It will sound more gypsy then. Ive studied flaminco for 2 years. I know a thing or two here.

Totally diff style but c4c?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468761
Quote by corrda00
1 word. Phrygian.

The acompaniment was great but the lead sounded like a video game theme. Use more phrygian modes. It will sound more gypsy then. Ive studied flaminco for 2 years. I know a thing or two here.

Totally diff style but c4c?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1468761

Damn it, I can't unhear the song as a video game theme now.
but thanks, I shall c4c tonight