So I've applied for a 1 year course at a music school this fall, and even though it's a pretty basic course (I'm a very basic guitar player), I have to send them some demos. Normally I'd do an audition, but it's abroad so I'm doing this instead.

I need to record a few different things. First, one of the following songs:

* Cissy Strut – The Meters
* Valerie – The Zutons
* Highway To Hell – AC/DC
* Use Somebody – Kings Of Leon
* I Feel Good – James Brown

Next, some other stuff:

* Rock (G)
* Blues (A)
* Reggae (A)
* Funk (E)
* Jazz (Bb)

"Each of the backing tracks feature just bass and drums, and follow a 12-bar blue structure in the key indicated.
You have to record a rhythm part all of the above styles, with the exclusion of Jazz. You will also be expected to record an improvised/arranged solo for one style of your choice."

Basically I'm looking for advice on a few things:

First, what exactly does recording a rhythm part mean? Simply playing the right chords the right way?

Secondly, when coming up with a solo, judging from the songs I can choose from, what kind of level do you think they're looking for? I'm feeling kinda uneasy at the prospect of recording a solo, sending it to them and getting rejected, only to realise that I could have done it better/more advanced.

Other than that, any general advice or ideas?

Thanks
Quote by Ahteh

Other than that, any general advice or ideas?

Thanks

Put your thread in the proper forum

or just go to a real college

also, from he sound of your post, you don't sound like you are advanced enough for a program like this
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Last edited by Msword7 at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by Msword7
Put your thread in the proper forum

or just go to a real college

also, from he sound of your post, you don't sound like you are advanced enough for a program like this

I appreciate the thoughtful feedback.

What would be the proper forum be exactly?
the one that says recording
Yes , really, yes

"Discuss recording techniques, your awesome solo on guitar or a groovy bassline!" sounds like what you need, certainly more relevant there than in the pit, the general forum for anything not related to the other forums
Last edited by Msword7 at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by Msword7
Yes , really, yes

"Discuss recording techniques, your awesome solo on guitar or a groovy bassline!" sounds like what you need, certainly more relevant there than in the pit, the general forum for anything not related to the other forums

The recording forum is, like your quote explains, for discussing recording techniques. I'm asking what I should consider when composing a solo for a college application.

Quote by adam02
First off how old are you and what is your educational background? If you don't mind me asking.

I've personally went down this music college route and I think I can help you greatly here.

Thanks. I'm 18 and I've recently graduated from the swedish gymnasium - roughly equivalent to High School.

And @Msword7, regarding attending a "real college": I have good grades and could go for another route. But music is my big interest. Besides, it's just a one year course, I could easily just go somewhere else when it's over.
I'm not going to go into a life story but I went down the music college route before at around 18 and It was 2 year deal.

After the first year I felt I didn't really learn anything and that the people who were in my class had no real ambitions and were only there because they too felt "they had an interest", mainly guitar players with long hair and black clothes.

I quickly realized that it wasn't for me and that I could always do music but study something more academic, more specifically I now do Mech engineering.

You say that music is your big interest. I'm sure it is, but at the end of the day, at some point you will need to fulfill a career goal.

For me, the music college provided me with zero career opportunities and I didn't really learn anything that I didn't already know from online resources. Also, 100% of my fellow classmates who did finish the 2 year deal are no better off, even 3 years down the line.
They either live with their parents or work in fast food chains, that's the truth.

I'm also concerned that you are making hasty decisions, I mean, you don't know what recording a rhythm part means.

In short, If you do want to pursue a career in music, You can, just don't attempt to substitute academic studies with the idea that a music college will be a fun alternative. Keep it as a hobby and interest that you enjoy and progress at your own pace.
Quote by adam02
I'm not going to go into a life story but I went down the music college route before at around 18 and It was 2 year deal.

After the first year I felt I didn't really learn anything and that the people who were in my class had no real ambitions and were only there because they too felt "they had an interest", mainly guitar players with long hair and black clothes.

I quickly realized that it wasn't for me and that I could always do music but study something more academic, more specifically I now do Mech engineering.

You say that music is your big interest. I'm sure it is, but at the end of the day, at some point you will need to fulfill a career goal.

For me, the music college provided me with zero career opportunities and I didn't really learn anything that I didn't already know from online resources. Also, 100% of my fellow classmates who did finish the 2 year deal are no better off, even 3 years down the line.
They either live with their parents or work in fast food chains, that's the truth.

I'm also concerned that you are making hasty decisions, I mean, you don't know what recording a rhythm part means.

In short, If you do want to pursue a career in music, You can, just don't attempt to substitute academic studies with the idea that a music college will be a fun alternative. Keep it as a hobby and interest that you enjoy and progress at your own pace.

Thanks for the post.

While pursuing a career in music is a dream of mine, I'm very aware that attending a music school isn't going to make me a rockstar. I was planning to spend this year working and travelling anyway, a gap year before I attend a university, and then the idea of going abroad and studying music popped into my head. For me it's simply an experience I think I'll enjoy, not only because I'll be playing guitar but because I'll be living abroad, meeting people, doing other stuff. It's not something I intend to base the rest of my life on.

And while I've also been worried that I'm not good enough at playing, I'll leave that up to the application people. If I get accepted that'll hopefully mean I have what it takes. Besides, as I said, it's a very basic course.
Quote by Ahteh

First, what exactly does recording a rhythm part mean? Simply playing the right chords the right way?

As stupid as the question may be, I'd still appreciate a simple answer to this.
Quote by Jawlytomtom
this thread made me chuckle at the pits obstinacy.

I have nothing to contribute.

Yeah, I'll probably try somewhere else.