Hi there peoples!

I have been playing for guitar afew months now.

Im doing my grade 5 stuff and learning the Modes and everything is great but I need to find a better way of looking at the Modes and scales other than proping my book open and flipping through the pages so I thought I'd get some guitar charts and posters that I can put up in my rooms so i can play my guitar and see clearly the chords, scales and theory without having to stop and flip through books and read arkwardly drawn scales.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any good Posters which have the below information.

1. The 7 Modes.
2. The 5 Pentatonic Patterns
3. Barre Chords
4. Common Open Chords
5. Chord Progression (Diatonic and Others) ( Or Chord Progression Theory)

I am sorry if this is in the wrong area because You could relate this post to 'Gear' but it is related to Techniques but more along the lines of how to better access it.

By the way! Remember Im new to guitar and theory so If I have made any mistakes or assumptions or anything please correct me so i may learn from any mistakes!

Thanks In Advance!

Aapples!
Last edited by Aappleyard at Aug 1, 2011,
Do you know every minor and major scale inside and out, both scale degrees and how to effectively use them in an improvisation over any given diatonic chord progression? Can you at least name every note anywhere on the fretboard? If neither then forget that modes even exist for now, because you'll probably have little use for them anyhow.
Last edited by Ascendant at Aug 1, 2011,
I know some simple major and minor scales. Pentatonics, Harmonics and My Guitar Tutor thinks Im ready. I enjoy the theory and would just like some visual guides to aid in my quest for knowledge!!!
A poster won't teach you anything whatsoever about modes, and as far as everything else goes your far better of focussing on learning about how they actually work and understanding them rather than relying on rote memorisation.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I understand that. But you have to start with the notes written out in front of you and see how it all locks together and Having something visual will help me greatly.

Like with my drums which I have been playing for a long long while now I hjave a poster of rudiments so I can easily remind myself quickly and then get on with my daily routine and get some practising done.

I was hoping for something like that for guitar. Like a Chart showing a full scale fretboard diagram and then showing the relationships of the scale degrees and the patters you could learn aswell as the theory behind it.

What you people suggest then. Hey Im not going to be amazing seen as I started learning guitar 5 months ago but I try my best to understand.

Everyone has to start somewhere!

Another thing.

No I dont know every scale in side and out but having a poster to remind me and to practise every day for 3 hours will help with that.

Everyone learns differently and at different paces.

My way of learning is to to hunker down and just repeat something for hours.

I know I shouldnt rely on wrote memorisation but I am 'Not' going to rely on it. I meirly want something to get me started. So far I have

A and E Barre Chords, Major, Minor, Diminished, Minor 7th and Major 7th Chords and i will continue to build upon that. Open Chords and Power Chords etc etc.

Scale wise. I know : Minor and Major Pentatonics as well as the other 3 'shapes'. Im working on the Modes. So far I got Dorian, Aeolian and Mixolydian down. Natural Minors, Major Scales, Harmonic Minors, Major, Minor, Dominant 7th, Minor7th and Major 7th Arpeggios, and I just want something to stick to.

What you you suggest then instead of just saying dont do this and dont do that and then saying very vaguely what to do...

Cheers buds!

Apples
If you google for guitar music poster or something, I'm sure you'll come up with some results.
I did and got one or two good results but was hoping for a wider selection hehe. Ill give it another looks over see what I find
Posters are fine, but there are more practical ways to learn your instrument.

As you work on getting your fingers to do what your brain wants them to, create some exercises for yourself. Memorize the "whole/half" note relationships based on the "starting" note of the mode name, then transfer those step relationships to the base note of whatever key you're playing. This will accomplish two things: training your ear while you train your hands.

"I Don't Phone Lydia Much Anymore Lucy"

Ionian - major CDEFGAB
Dorian DEFGABC
Phrygian - nice for egyptian/arabic/spanish feel over minor key progressions EFGABCD
Lydian FGABCDE
Mixolydian GABCDEF
Aeolian - minor ABCDEFG
Locrian BCDEFGA

I've found only a few of these modes useful unless you're intentionally playing "outside" jazz, or you like making your dog tilt his head sideways while he watches.

If you like Malmsteen, learn harmonic minor (a minor scale with a #7). Otherwise, 95% of the time you'll be playing pentatonic and minor, with a couple diminished 5th tossed in for "darkness".
I don't think I've written anything based in a major key or played a solo in a major scale in 30 years... it's just not the right vibe for anything blues/rock/metal.

A tritone scale works well over the 5 chord of the key you're in:
For instance, in Em... over the B chord (because B is the 5th of E), play a descending triplet of Eb C A / C A Gb / A Gb Eb / Gb Eb C and resolve to the Em.

Ultimately, there's only so many useable notes in any given key, and there's only so fast anyone can play before it's no longer musically relevant or pleasing, so it all comes down to the song, the emotion, and the audience.

Have fun.
Last edited by Terry Gorle at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by Terry Gorle
A tritone scale works well over the 5 chord of the key you're in:
For instance, in Em... over the B chord (because B is the 5th of E), play a descending triplet of Eb C A / C A Gb / A Gb Eb / Gb Eb C and resolve to the Em.

not a tritone scale. that's harmonic minor you're dealing with here. you're just calling them by their flat equivalents, but they should be D# and F# rather than Eb and Gb. so you're just playing in a minor key.

Quote by Aappleyard
Scale wise. I know : Minor and Major Pentatonics as well as the other 3 'shapes'. Im working on the Modes. So far I got Dorian, Aeolian and Mixolydian down. Natural Minors, Major Scales, Harmonic Minors, Major, Minor, Dominant 7th, Minor7th and Major 7th Arpeggios, and I just want something to stick to.

What you you suggest then instead of just saying dont do this and dont do that and then saying very vaguely what to do...

if all you know is scale shapes, then all you know is scale shapes. if i gave you a root note and asked you to name the notes in it (for example, Bb mixolydian or an F#maj7 arpeggio) and you couldn't do it, then you don't know the scales or arpeggios. that's the problem with guitar -- you can just play shapes on it. it's helpful, yeah, but it also makes it easier to just play without knowing the first thing about what you're doing.

what i suggest is learning some theory. the fact that your guitar tutor thinks you're ready means nothing to me -- i've seen many instructors come and go that didn't know a damn thing about modes (and some that didn't know a damn thing about theory entirely).

if you do know the notes in the scales, forget posters. work out the scales yourself. if you do the work, it'll stick with you longer.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Last edited by AeolianWolf at Aug 1, 2011,
thats one big poster
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
with total guitar, there are sometimes posters with techniques, i have one with the 7 modes
I think it's a good idea. I've been wanting to create something similar for myself, I just haven't gotten round to it.
Not so much for learning things, but more for reminding me of things I haven't practiced in a while. It's nice decoration as well if it's well made.
Sorry for not contributing much to the thread...but it did inspire me a bit to try and create something
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Yeh I do need to learn the actual notes in the scales. I can work them out. But not instantaneously. I cant just look at one and go thats a G#

Well.. Ok thats not true. I know all the notes on the Low E and A Strings and the High E so Im only 3 strings short! Haha.

I have made my own PDF's of the patterns of the 7 Modes, Pentatonic Scales, Barre Chords and Chord Progressions which I may upload. I think theyre quite cool

Ive also made a pdf on intervals and using them to create chords, scales, arpeggios and Chord Progressions

Only simple but you can look at them and just understand and play!

Plus I get what people are saying. I think Ive just got to go about learning it the way I learn best.

Im a visual guy. If I see something I remember it. Being told something does nothing for me. Nor does just listening. I need to see how it works!

I think patterns are great to get you up and running but the theory and understanding is far more important. But that dosent mean you cant learn it later.. So long as you do learn it!
I have a scale poster and a chord poster, but honestly, they've never taught me anything.

The scale one isn't even up anymore because there's no point in it, really, and the chord one is only up in case I come across a chord I don't know and need to quickly look it up.

Learning music comes from playing it, not this "Grade _____" shit.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Last edited by Sleaze Disease at Aug 1, 2011,
Im not getting a scale poster to teach me anything. Just there as a guide till the stuff is in my head. Then I wont need them.

Some people just dont seem to understand D:

I want to learn but i dont want to go the hard way around it.

I am trying to reach point C from point A

The easy way would be with refrences and charts. Resulting in A to C

You are suggesting I go from A to B then C when the destination is my main focus.

Now you might argue that Passing point B is a vital part in the journey but I am saying is by just getting to C I will aquire the stuff of point B anyway!

Ooo Ive gone all dodgy and metaphorical! :O Oh Noes!
Quote by Aappleyard
Now you might argue that Passing point B is a vital part in the journey but I am saying is by just getting to C I will aquire the stuff of point B anyway!

you may think you will, but you'll only be deceiving yourself. you seem to think scale posters are a guide. they're not. they're basically just finger exercises.

but hey, don't take my word for it -- you can try. you'll learn better from doing something than just by listening to me talk, so have fun. we'll see you in a year (assuming you're lucky and realize it quickly) or so when it hits you. then we'll tell you to go back to point B like you should have done in the first place.
If I learn something along the way then thats great. Maybe it will have a bigger impact on me and will set me right so i understand it more!

We will see!

I understand all the theory about Intervals and the methods of working out scales using intervals and how arpeggios are formed and how chords and formed and that you can use the intervals to create a scale and base chord progressions off of the scales (with in reason) and that some chords dont always fit. Its like there are rules but they can be broken. (like alot of things)

I know they are finger exercises but dont finger exercises help ? If I am doing a finger exercise and know all the theory behind the patterns and theyre musical make-up then whats the problem!

Ive also looked at alot of highly rated posts, topics and blogs on this site and they all seem to just agree with what Im saying O.o

A scale poster is a guide. Its a starting point of getting my fingers working with my brain. Its not good knowing all the theory but doing nothing with or about it.
Quote by Aappleyard
If I learn something along the way then thats great. Maybe it will have a bigger impact on me and will set me right so i understand it more!

We will see!

I understand all the theory about Intervals and the methods of working out scales using intervals and how arpeggios are formed and how chords and formed and that you can use the intervals to create a scale and base chord progressions off of the scales (with in reason) and that some chords dont always fit. Its like there are rules but they can be broken. (like alot of things)

I know they are finger exercises but dont finger exercises help ? If I am doing a finger exercise and know all the theory behind the patterns and theyre musical make-up then whats the problem!

Ive also looked at alot of highly rated posts, topics and blogs on this site and they all seem to just agree with what Im saying O.o

A scale poster is a guide. Its a starting point of getting my fingers working with my brain. Its not good knowing all the theory but doing nothing with or about it.

...we'll be seeing you around. you will find out what the problems are and what we're talking about.

like you say, we will see. bear in mind that we are the ones who have already been where you are now.
I understand. I really do appreciate all the comments and responces!

I gues its best if I get there and find out for myself so I truly understand what you all are saying!

Thankyou for taking your time to explain!

Quote by Aappleyard
I gues its best if I get there and find out for myself so I truly understand what you all are saying!

you got the idea. if you ever get stuck, you can always come back.
Wuhay! xD

Oh I have a question about a decision I might make about equipment.

I dont have an amp and atm I plug into my Mixer and into the PC and run a Guitar Rig Plugin to get the sounds.

Which do you think is the best option?

Keep with what I have?

Get a good Pod. Cause I have some really nice speakers for them.

Or Get a Nice Amp!

Cause Im not sure which is best in the long run. Also the prices are another matter O.o
Seeing as you have nice speakers for pod-like creations, I say go for a Pod HD, they are great in my opinion.
Nice amp is always...nice...but expensive if you want to get your pedalboarding on
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Aappleyard I kinda like your idea of a poster. Doesnt have to be modes and scales, it could be any technique that someone might be working on. Really good just to have a large reference. I think i might work on making a couple of them out of large posterboards.
I cant be bothered reading past the first few posts here (time for bed) but I see some discussion of modes.

As Im sure people have pointed out, modes arent for beginners.

However, what youre asking for is not a poster explaining modes, its a poster showing seven commonly used (possibly three notes per string, but perhaps not) shapes / positions for the diatonic major / minor scale.

This kinda thing is very useful to learn and I hope you find what youre looking for.

If you cant find it then you can find diagrams (often misleadingly (but not always incorrectly (you can see why the issue confuses guitarists lol)) titled 'modes') on the internet. Personally I learned a couple of the shapes from diagrams but then when I figured out what was happening with the notes I managed to work out the remaining five shapes (you could even make your own fretboard diagrams) - make sure youre not just learning fingerings with no idea of why you are learning them but that you understand the order of the notes in the scale. The same goes for learning the positions of the pentatonic scales.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Yes! And ive gone and made my own using as many websites as I can find!

So I have 7 common patterns for the 7 modes and 5 common patterns for the Pentatonic Scale both major and minor

I have also created patterns for arpeggios Major Minor Minor7th Major7th's and Dominant 7ths

Also Chord PRogression patterns and how the major and minor chord progressions based off of the Diatonic Chord scales repeats and has a distinct pattern so creating chord progressions is fairly easy!