I am going to restring my guitar that has had 11s on for the past 9 months with a .10 set. Will this affect the guitar at all?
Last edited by JoshW27 at Aug 1, 2011,
The action will go down a bit because you are putting on lighter strings. That is all.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
It may need a slight truss rod adjustment... most likely not.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
After I play through this set, would it be wise to change from 10s to 12s (I want to try different string gauges to see which I prefer) or will this have negative effects on the guitar? If so would it be clever to go from 10s to 11s to 12s?
Quote by JoshW27
After I play through this set, would it be wise to change from 10s to 12s (I want to try different string gauges to see which I prefer) or will this have negative effects on the guitar? If so would it be clever to go from 10s to 11s to 12s?

The short answer is no. It will not. Your guitar is built for it.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Ok cheers, its just that I read somewhere that if you change string gauges the guitar may need to be set up for the new gauge, I assume this is only the case when you do a large change (ie Extra Lights to Thick strings)?