So I've had these huge beams in a junk room that I've never really paid much attention too untill now, I realized they're very solid and heavy pieces of wood so why not put them to use. Being a poor teenager I don't have any money really so I'm going to try and keep cost down as much as possible and I'm really underequiped for this (no router, no planer, only a jig saw and no sander) so I'm going to make do with whatever I have.
It'll be neck through with a 25.5 scale and probably a blue or seafoam green finish, that's about all I have set in stone for now.

Here's what I've got so far.

I've got the shape drawn up rather poorly but I'm going to refine it and do some more planing before I go any farther.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
is it super long? or is it just my eyes lol

anyway, this sounds good. as for building it with such little tools, you could probably get away with jigsaw, drill, chisel and lots of sandpaper/rasps. if you could get your hands on any of those extra bits you dont have it'd be certainly helpful (try second hand for the chisels and rasps and then just sharpen the chisels up). also theres a link in xadoriox's sig that shows how to use some tools differently to get desired results
It might be a tiny bit long compared to a strat but by like 2 or 3 inches at most, I'm fairly tall and lanky anyway so it kinda reflects me also anyone have any idea what kind of wood this is? Its extremely heavy but I wouldn't sat its a harwood, its easy to dent/chip but I can barely saw through it to save my life.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Yeah xadoriox has a few videos on using minimal tools as well, if I remember correctly.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Found it, lots of good info, the only thing I'm really worried about is chiseling out the truss rod channel, how accurate do I have to be for that?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
id probably see if you could get your hands on a router for that. either by hire or by borrow from a friend or something. i think you could do it with the chisel as long as your took your time and were careful about it, should be fine.

as for the wood, no idea lol. what'd it come out of?
I have no problem with going slow and careful, the whole reason I'm doing this is cause I got bored .
And I think it came out of a really heavy and kinda weird bedframe/sofa thing, I'll try to get some pics of the grain and everything later tonight.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Quote by Emperor's Child
Yeah xadoriox has a few videos on using minimal tools as well, if I remember correctly.

close enough i knew my username choice wasnt a good idea

my page wont help you with neck building, yet, ill be working on mine soon, without a rasp or anything. im guessing itll be tough =p
Yeah I kinda noticed that, my main two concerns are really just if this woods going to be strong enough for a neck and making the neck heel, does it really matter where the neck heel is? Because I'd really prefer some upper fret access.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
I assume the neck wont be separate from the body, it looks like its all one piece, so im not sure its really a "heel" per se, but kind of just a contour... maybe a heel
all that matters is where you put it, the truss rod has to be long enough to match. proper truss rod length i cant comment on. bass necks are long, and all youre doing is making the neck longer but towards the body instead of the headstock if that makes sense. so as long as your truss rod matches, and you can fit your other electronics, you should be fine. And as long as scale length/fretboard placement is lined up
yeah, the body and neck are one piece, the only thing I'm attaching are the wings, I want something solid that I can kinda thrash on and this thing is SOLID haha.

Alright I need help making some decisions, what kind of bridge should I do? I was thinking of making some kind of big heavy trapeze style tail piece or a vibrato tail peice, I'm looking to get a lot of sustain out of this thing if I can.
Then what kind of pickup combination should I use? I was thinking a humbucker in the bridge with a singlecoil in the neck.

I'm pretty open to any ideas here, it's going to be used for mainly rock like Zepplin, Foo Fighters, Weezer, ect.... so I'll consider anything reasonable.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Last edited by grungebaby at Aug 2, 2011,
Originally Posted by xadioriderx
close enough

I couldn't be bothered to check so I just copied what Doonan wrote
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child

I couldn't be bothered to check so I just copied what Doonan wrote

haha i didnt even see that =p

anyways, its arguable that trapeze style tails will give you less sustain than a fixed bridge - less wood contact and such. i would think a hard tail will give you the best results. maybe instead of screwing it down, route a shallow route in the back like a claw cavity, and have a metal plate flush on the wood, and the bridge bolts from the top down to that, so when you tighten the bolts to hold the bridge on it squeezes that metal plate down
just something i thought of a while back that either wont make a difference or might add a littttle sustain
thats what you get when your names hard to spell. it looks like xadoriox to me so tahts what i say lol

as for guitar, HSH would be cool. or use seymour duncan p-rails. and trapeze would look cool. tbh, i dont think different bridges will have a massive impact on it over any other bridge. so use the one that you like most
Alright I've made a little process, I think laziness is going to prolong this project haha.
I glued the wings on and cut some excess wood off, and am about to cut more off. I also chose the gibson flying v headstock for simplicity sake and I think that the wood is actually thick enough that I can get away with not making a scarf joint, I just have to carve/cut it down to an angle.
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
not a fan of the flying v headstock. id go with something more PRS like, but longer, to suit the body. be kinda cool.
Quote by Doonan
not a fan of the flying v headstock. id go with something more PRS like, but longer, to suit the body. be kinda cool.

Seconded
Hmmm you guys caught me at the perfect time, I was just about to cut it. By PRS style do you mean with the inward curving sides, the kinda pointy top, or both?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15