Which one would you get for recording vocals and why? I´ve heard condensers are better for recording vocals as opposed to live performances where dynamic microphones are best suited, because they´re tougher. But I´ve seen people get good recording quality out of dynamics in their own "home studios".

Which is more suitable? Which are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
Not metal vocals, just blues, rock, pop vocals...
I guess it also depends on the budget, so on a budget of 200 USD?

Thanks for the input!
It depends really... a lot of people find condensers to be more honest and open to the voice, whereas dynamic mics are often quite coloured, particularly in the midrange. Generally, I would tend to grab a condenser first for vocals in the studio, out of habit, but that isn't to say all condensers sound great, or that no dynamic will sound good in the studio. The microphone only plays a role in part of the overall sound - if you have a great microphone going into a bad preamp, bad converters and badly mixed in the DAW, with a lacklustre singer, you will not even notice that the microphone is a great one.

And different mics suit different voices. Best bet is for you to try and trial a few (either in-store, or some shops/mic companies offer you the chance of a 30-day money back guarantee regardless of the reason for returning the product (sometimes marketed as a free trial period).

If I was to give a recommendation though, based on my own preference, I would say an Audio Technica AT2020 would be the best for your money, unless you can stretch to a Rode NT1-A (which I imagine will be a bit more than $200, although I'm from the UK so unsure of the prices in US.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
You'll hear each kind on the radio day in and day out -- some of the most popular vocal mics in studios include the Neumann U87 (a condensor with a price tag of several thousand) and the Shure SM7 or SM7B (a dynamic that costs less than half a grand.)

Most people here will recommend you get a condenser over a dynamic. With your budget, I'd say get one of each and see what works for you. If anything, you'll find that each kind will work better for certain applications under certain circumstances.
Ibanez AS93
Fender Marauder
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Use both if you can.

I like the properties of both and have even used different combinations within a song depending on what a vocalist is doing.

For example on a death metal piece the singer was kind of like Corpsegrinder from Cannibal Corpse, so lows and highs.

Highs were about 80% large diaphragm condenser, lows were about 80% dynamic.

But the dynamic brought a bit of throatiness to the highs, and the condenser really made the vocals intelligible on the low end.

...you can actually understand the lyrics!

Imagine that.

For most applications, though, a basic LDC will be the choice. For budget, MXL 1006. It aint a U87 or a 414 or any of those higher end mics, but it's in the $100 price range.

Beats dynamics that are 2-3x the price! Beats an SM57/8 to all hell.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by adam02
Believe it or not the Behringer B2-Pro is a very good large condenser mic, much cheaper as well. It comes with a nice case with shock mount + windshield, well built too!

Either you're smoking crack, you have no clue what you're talking about or got really lucky

After mixing both Condensers & Dynamics, it really depends on the singer. Also, with MicMod, it doesn't matter :p
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Either you're smoking crack, you have no clue what you're talking about or got really lucky

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you- but it is a good a microphone.
It's one of the few gems that Behringer do churn out. It's been likened to the Neumann U87 and experienced engineers can't tell the difference between the B2-Pro and a 2k mic.
Personally it's who you're recording and whether or not you know what the f... you're doing that matters.

Use a 57, U87, whatever...

Will sound the same unless you do it correctly.

Does the singer know how to sing? Do you have access to a noise-free environment approximating a vocal booth? (I use my car!)

...these factors are more important than your mic.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

You can use either. I personally prefer consensus on vocals. I have used dynamics before on a few songs. I have used confessor on main vocals and dynamics on making. Just experiment. I feel a decent condensor requires less EQing than a good dynamic. Of course the goal is to have a mic that fits your voice. once you get to that point though your getting pricey and need to try before you buy.

This kinda relates to something that happened to me recently that proves mics are different for different people. I was recording some people rapping and the first guy sounded great straight off the recording. I just add some reverb and compression and was very happy. The second guy though sounded super trebely. Switched mics and boom it was all good. For fun I did another take of the first guy this time with the second mic and it was way to bawdy...anyway maybe this is not related to topic but I already typed it on my phone so I am not going to erase.
Quote by Bubonic Chronic
Use a 57, U87, whatever...

Will sound the same unless you do it correctly.

Uhh, thats some terrible logic right there. If you're gonna say that, you might as well say that my $5 PC mic is going to sound the same as a U87 or SM57
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp