Hey Pit,

What do you think of Online bands? By which I mean, bands that only work over the internet, sending ideas and recorded parts to each other rather than sitting at a band practice and doing it.

Personally, I think it's a great idea except the major letdown of probably never playing any live shows. However, I'd still be very interested in joining one if somebody offered.

Would you guys? Do you think it's a silly idea? Do you listen to any online bands?
I think to listen to, music is music. Whether it's created in a basement or across the US digitally doesn't matter to me from a listener's perspective. From a writing/musician's standpoint, however, I don't think there is or ever will be a good substitutue for standing in a room with your band and writing music with a personal touch to it.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
I think to listen to, music is music. Whether it's created in a basement or across the US digitally doesn't matter to me from a listener's perspective. From a writing/musician's standpoint, however, I don't think there is or ever will be a good substitutue for standing in a room with your band and writing music with a personal touch to it.

What about bands where one person writes everything? And how is two people writing their parts impersonal?
That's how The Kills got started, I believe. And Crystal Castles.

If you end up really liking what you make, there's always the option of moving to where you're bandmates are.
I'm in online band, we didn't write or record anything yet, we just talk about random stuff
it's kind of cool, but a lot of the fun of being in a band is getting to hang out and jam and play shows, and i think you would lose that side of it. on the other hand, it would make it much easier to collaborate with people who are into the same sound, like if you wanted to do something very specific, it might be very hard to find people in real life for that. also, another advantage is that if your online bandmates are assholes, you don't have to actually spend time together, so that could be a good thing.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by blake1221
What about bands where one person writes everything? And how is two people writing their parts impersonal?

You don't feel like there's a disconnect when you're sending a file over the net across the US or to another country and having them tack a part onto it as opposed to standing there with the other people in your band and writing?

I'm not sure how to respond to that.

As far as only one person writing the music, obviously that's not an issue here, because doing it all yourself erases the need for both other musicians' material and a method of conveying it.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
You don't feel like there's a disconnect when you're sending a file over the net across the US or to another country and having them tack a part onto it as opposed to standing there with the other people in your band and writing?

what i'm getting from this is that with online bands, you can't really sit down with somebody in real time and say "well i've got this riff, what do you think" and then be able to sit down and play both parts, and then say "yeah, that's cool" or "nah, that's kind of meh" and then go on to the next riff. with online bands, i suppose you could do that with a webcam or on the phone, but there is always a bit of latency or band quality, so it wouldn't work as well.

if that's what you're trying to say, i agree.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by strat0blaster

I'm not sure how to respond to that.

As far as only one person writing the music, obviously that's not an issue here, because doing it all yourself erases the need for both other musicians' material and a method of conveying it.

Actually, yeah. It's no different than one person in the band playing one thing, then the other person building on that with their part. And how do you know it's only trade back and forth? Webcams can create instant trading of ideas, and immediate discussion about it. In the end, there's little difference.

Just because they're not all in the same room doesn't mean it robs the music of some "soul" you're tacking on to the writing process. It's no less organic at all.
Quote by blake1221
Actually, yeah. It's no different than one person in the band playing one thing, then the other person building on that with their part. And how do you know it's only trade back and forth? Webcams can create instant trading of ideas, and immediate discussion about it. In the end, there's little difference.

Just because they're not all in the same room doesn't mean it robs the music of some "soul" you're tacking on to the writing process. It's no less organic at all.

Been playing for years and years and in and out of enough spaces, clubs, and studios to say that I call shenanigans on that statement, but I guess it's opinion. For me personally, there's absolutely zero substitute for playing intimately with people working towards the same creative goal as you. Playing with some dude using a webcam is nowhere near the same experience as standing there physically with other people and writing something. You lose the connection between the people, you lose the atmosphere of a place that's creatively fueled by more than one person at a time, and you lose the feel of a band.

What you're suggesting is the equivelant of saying that several chefs could cook over a webcam by taste, or that talking to someone on the phone is no different from talking to them face to face, and if that's the case, it's no different than typing back and forth via a forum.

Quote by theogonia777
what i'm getting from this is that with online bands, you can't really sit down with somebody in real time and say "well i've got this riff, what do you think" and then be able to sit down and play both parts, and then say "yeah, that's cool" or "nah, that's kind of meh" and then go on to the next riff. with online bands, i suppose you could do that with a webcam or on the phone, but there is always a bit of latency or band quality, so it wouldn't work as well.

if that's what you're trying to say, i agree.

That's 100% what I'm saying.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Been playing for years and years and in and out of enough spaces, clubs, and studios to say that I call shenanigans on that statement, but I guess it's opinion. For me personally, there's absolutely zero substitute for playing intimately with people working towards the same creative goal as you. Playing with some dude using a webcam is nowhere near the same experience as standing there physically with other people and writing something. You lose the connection between the people, you lose the atmosphere of a place that's creatively fueled by more than one person at a time, and you lose the feel of a band.

What you're suggesting is the equivelant of saying that several chefs could cook over a webcam by taste, or that talking to someone on the phone is no different from talking to them face to face, and if that's the case, it's no different than typing back and forth via a forum.

Oh come on. That's such a romanticized view of the writing process. I've created whole songs where I play every instrument and write everything myself. Does the fact that I did not have the collective creative atmosphere of a band as opposed to just myself mean that everything I wrote recorded had no soooooulll?
Quote by willT08
Oh come on. That's such a romanticized view of the writing process. I've created whole songs where I play every instrument and write everything myself. Does the fact that I did not have the collective creative atmosphere of a band as opposed to just myself mean that everything I wrote recorded had no soooooulll?

You're not paying attention. If you're writing it all yourself, there's no validity to the initial post you made because the initial post you made posed the question as to what we thought of composing via the internet with OTHER PEOPLE. Obviously if you're doing it alone, there aren't other people, thusly there's no need to transmit ideas, thus there's no need for interaction of ANY kind with another person, thus your point is wasted.

But to put it bluntly yes, there is a difference if you play every instrument yourself as opposed to writing it out with other people present. In fact, there's a huge difference. A massive difference. So different that you might even begin to think it's a - gasp - different experience altogether!

Call it 'romaticized' if you want to, but putting your shit down with other people there to bounce it off of in a setting that doesn't exclude the human element is ideal in my mind. Everything else, while a considerable alterantive, is just secondary.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster

But to put it bluntly yes, there is a difference if you play every instrument yourself as opposed to writing it out with other people present. In fact, there's a huge difference. A massive difference. So different that you might even begin to think it's a - gasp - different experience altogether!

Call it 'romaticized' if you want to, but putting your shit down with other people there to bounce it off of in a setting that doesn't exclude the human element is ideal in my mind. Everything else, while a considerable alterantive, is just secondary.

You didn't answer my question whatsoever.

If I record and write all of the parts myself, are my finished pieces devoid of the magical atmosphere and majesty that being in a room with men holding instruments apparently creates?

What if I had presented the first riff to a band in a traditional practice environment (so we're all practicing in a room) and then we continued on to write the exact same song that I wrote by myself, except all of the people in the band wrote their own parts. Would that add the atmosphere you speak of to my finished recorded song?
Nah doesn't sound great.

I'd rather get together with a mate and play than send riff in emails.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!