Page 1 of 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usfiAsWR4qU

fuck the debt deal! let's get busy!

UPDATE 2-United States approves free birth control for women

* New guidelines on preventive services for women

* Adopt IOM's recommendations released earlier in July

* Includes amendment allowing religious groups to opt out (Adds Conference of Catholic Bishops' opposition, link to guidelines, survey)

By Alina Selyukh

WASHINGTON, Aug 1 (Reuters) - U.S. health insurance companies must offer women free birth control and other preventive health care services under Obama administration rules released on Monday, a historic decision supported by family planning groups and opposed by conservative groups.

The rules from the Health and Human Services Department are part of the nation's healthcare overhaul and largely follow recommendations from an advisory group released last month.

The U.S. Institute of Medicine (IOM) report, commissioned by the Obama administration, recommended that all U.S.-approved birth control methods -- including the "morning-after pill," taken shortly after intercourse to stop a pregnancy -- be added to the list of preventive health services. [ID:nN1E76I0HG]

The recommendation faced opposition from conservative and religious groups that balked at using taxpayer money to cover birth control, especially the "morning-after pill."

The guidelines go into effect on Monday, requiring insurers to provide free coverage of preventive care services for women in all new plans beginning in August 2012.

"These historic guidelines are based on science and existing literature and will help ensure women get the preventive health benefits they need," HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in a statement.

The HHS added an amendment allowing religious institutions to choose whether to cover contraception services in their insurance. The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops had urged the HHS to exclude birth control as a service.

The adoption of the recommendations is a win for organizations such as the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and Planned Parenthood.

"Eliminating cost sharing for these crucial preventive services will make needed care more accessible and will improve the health of millions of women," said Iowa Democratic Senator Tom Harkin, who had urged HHS to accept the report's guidelines.

The health department's guidelines followed the IOM's recommendations to require free screening for gestational diabetes, testing for human papillomavirus in women over 30, counseling for HIV and sexually transmitted infections, lactation counseling, screening for domestic violence and yearly wellness visits.

Research suggests that the public supports adding birth control to the list of services.

A Thomson Reuters/NPR survey in May found 76.6 percent of respondents believe private insurance plans, without government assistance, should cover some or all costs associated with birth control pills.

The HHS will hold a press conference on the new guidelines on Monday. To read the guidelines, visit www.hrsa.gov/womensguidelines . (Additional reporting by Andrew Seaman and Anna Yukhananov. Editing by Maureen Bavdek and Robert MacMillan)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/01/usa-health-preventive-idUSN1E7700TY20110801
#DTWD
Good.
Quote by truiteleague
where's the Tl;dr?!

Fuck being spoon-fed.
Quote by Geldin
I'd be down with that. Free shit is always good.

/thread

Ultimately it isn't free. I'm going to take a stab at it and guess the premiums will increase slightly. Some might not feel it's a cause worth paying for, but then of course they aren't the ones taking care of a child that isn't theirs.
В словах есть что-то неприличное.
Last edited by Zaphikh at Aug 1, 2011,
This is exactly what a lot of people need. Hopefully it'll cut down on teenage pregnancy. It always surprised me just how many kids were pregnant when I was in high school.
Well for a nation of people with so many who hate abortion with a passion, this is probably a very good idea. Something that pro-life and pro-choice people can agree on (if only).

Better education should be provided too though.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by flyingmarlin
Well for a nation of people with so many who hate abortion with a passion, this is probably a very good idea. Something that pro-life and pro-choice people can agree on (if only).

Pro Lifers are really just anti sex in my experience. Which is cool, since no one wants to have sex with them anyway.
Quote by captaincrunk
Pro Lifers are really just anti sex in my experience. Which is cool, since no one wants to have sex with them anyway.

including the "morning-after pill,

╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Quote by flyingmarlin

Better education would be the best thing that they could do. I don't see the pro-life people liking this because of the morning after pill. They'll also say that it's immoral for people to be having sex before they're married as if that will stop people from having casual sex.
Quote by truiteleague
where's the Tl;dr?!

the tl;dr is the title ...
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
the tl;dr is the title ...

Not short enough. We need to you simplify it in a single grunt.

Regress!!

Regress!!
Quote by HaistaPaska92
The conservatives are gonna throw a hissy fit :3

They need to get laid.
Quote by HaistaPaska92
The conservatives are gonna throw a hissy fit :3

Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by Zaphikh
Not short enough. We need to you simplify it in a single grunt.

Regress!!

Regress!!

Of course, god forbid someone wants a little overview to check before they launch themselves into reading something they may not actually care about
Quote by SG_dave
Of course, god forbid someone wants a little overview to check before they launch themselves into reading something they may not actually care about

Tl;dr
KEEP SAFE SEX FOR THE RICH

Does this mean men get free condoms?
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z/SRX430
Alesis Core 1
BIAS FX

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
Quote by captaincrunk

Ha! Spot on sir! They seem like the sorts of people who can never be made happy. IMO it seems they just want something to campaign against.

Quote by kratos379
Better education would be the best thing that they could do. I don't see the pro-life people liking this because of the morning after pill. They'll also say that it's immoral for people to be having sex before they're married as if that will stop people from having casual sex.

No pleasing some people, they'd probably treat it like a pro-life loss, when the rest of the world knows it means less aborted fetuses (well, a few cells tops) for them to moan about.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Last edited by flyingmarlin at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by Våd Hamster
Now we just need to make it obligatory until they reach 21.

i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by flyingmarlin

Ha! Spot on sir! They seem like the sorts of people who can never be made happy. IMO it seems they just want something to campaign against.

It's mainly the whole religion thing.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I give it about a day till someone starts talking about how the morning after pill kills babies and the government is paying for it.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by leeb rocks
I give it about a day till someone starts talking about how the morning after pill kills babies and the government is paying for it.

Anyone who does that should be told to go picket the IVF clinics first.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Conservative shitstorm imminent, so I guess it's Monday as usual then.

In all seriousness though, this is a great achievement and will actually do something beneficial for the prople. All we need now is equal rights for same sex couples and the current administration will have my full support.
Quote by Woffelz

Does this mean men get free condoms?

Ugh... I've already seen a free 'used condom' bucket at one of the convienience stores around here
We already get that here, NHS FTW!!

We have to pay for the morning after pill though :-(

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
^ just because conservatives don't like it doesn't mean it won't happen.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
^ just because conservatives don't like it doesn't mean it won't happen.

I think he's asking whether or not the payment is coming from taxpayer money or the insurance companies are going to fund it themselves. It's not made clear in the article.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Page 1 of 2