Quote by TheQuailman
A distortion pedal of some sort would be the cheapest solution.

any one in particalar you suggest?
Quote by jigman586
any one in particalar you suggest?

Like Wtr said, how much cash d'you have? What's available also depends on your location a lot. I'm not much of a pedal-geek, sorry.
something you could try on the cheap

i actually use both of these pedals with my rig

Digitech Bad Monkey $50 new/$30 used
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ $35 new/$25 used

You could try a 12AT/AU7 preamp tube but not sure how well that will work.

Otherwise, get a new amp
I don't see how a low-gain drive-pedal like the Digitech or a low-gain preamp-tube is going to help.

The EQ is a nice idea, but more of an afterthought I'd say.

As far as nice dirt-pedals are concerned, I've alway liked the MI Audio Crunch Box for general rock-applications. The Visual Sound Son of Hyde should be around the same price and looks promising, but I have not tried it myself.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
well......I don't see how a Crunch Box on a 6 watt amp is going to help either

Plenty of distortion, and I'd rather have the CB than most designated "metal" pedals in it's price range ('cause most of those suck).
I guess he could try a Digitech Hardwire instead, too.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i'm just saying clean boost the low watt amp

Not trying to be rude, but that's just not going to work at all. There's only so much a boost can help you, and turning a Special Six into a metal-amp just with boosting isn't on the table.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 1, 2011,
Boost it hard, harder, HARDER, and also, make sure you crank it. If your definition of metal is Iron Maiden, you could maybe come close-ish. If your definition is Necrophagist or Nailed Shut, it's not going to happen.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by TheQuailman
Plenty of distortion, and I'd rather have the CB than most designated "metal" pedals in it's price range ('cause most of those suck).
I guess he could try a Digitech Hardwire instead, too.

Not trying to be rude, but that's just not going to work at all. There's only so much a boost can help you, and turning a Special Six into a metal-amp just with boosting isn't on the table.

I agree that I would rather use a Crunch Box than most other 'metal' pedals out there.

I've played the CB through several of my amps.

I don't consider the Bad Monkey to be a metal pedal - just a Tubescreamer clone with less mid hump.

Why add pedal distortion to a maxed out pre and power amp distortion. Does not sound like fun.

Hardwire might be a good option.

I don't think you are being rude.

I've run multiple boosts in front of amps and it works well for some applications including low watt amps.

My Blackheart 1W sounds better with a boost to me.

The Solid State clipping and removal of some bass helps trust me.

Agreed a 6 watt amp is not the best amp for metal.

ktnxbai
i know its just 6 watt.wish had the money to afford a bigger amp.it just isnt happening right now.i got a 17 yr old driver to pay for.LOL.Im not a gig player,i play to entertain myself.just tryiong to make the best of what i got.Thought about getting a Digitech RP 70(or something similar) just for messing around with different sounds in my house.i am no musical prodigy by any means.LOL
^Good call.

311, seems like we're agreeing on most things, so I just picked out what we don't seem to agree on.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Why add pedal distortion to a maxed out pre and power amp distortion. Does not sound like fun.

I was thinking he was running the amp clean. May have jumped the gun here, sorry. If he has the amp dimed, a good hefty boost might suffice for some old-school metal. Maiden and stuff.

Mixing pedal dirt and amp dirt can sound pretty nice btw.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I've run multiple boosts in front of amps and it works well for some applications including low watt amps.

Agreed, but that's just some applications, long as we are talking about the Special 6 and similar amps. I'm thinking classic hard rock; Van Halen, Maiden, GnR, Poison, and so on.
For thrash-y stuff or any modern metal-tones, I wouldn't recommend it.

TS, what tones do you actually need, how heavy do you go? The cheaper RP-pedals are fun for messing around with (especially the built-in drum-loops are cool for jamming), but they don't sound THAT grand tbh. They're a fun toy, but not really a serious piece of kit that you'll be using for years and years...
^yeah,

People have different deffinitions of metal.

My deffinition doesnt include an overdrive or boost into a vintagely voiced amp. Its just not tight enough.

A good distortion works much better.

It did for me when i had my laney vc30.
i dont know if i poited it out but i have the ULTRA model.It has a high gain ultra side; if that makes any difference.Also i have been trying to play in drop C and it REALLYY gets muddy!