So it's finally happened: after 5 years of playing, I'm coming to a rut... I wait anxiously until I can go home from work so I can pick up my guitar, only to strum a few chords and forget all the stuff I felt, all the stuff that inspired me to play blues. I've been working on cleaning up my blues, but I was wondering if there are any scales you guys would recommend that blend with the blues scales. I have the pentatonic scale, but I was looking for something a little more uncommon.

Also on a similar note, I've kind of hit a rut in my songwriting: every song sounds the same and I can't think of any words to sing.... any help on that? any mental/creative exercises that can help me tap into what I feel so I can play it? I definitely feel the blues, but when I pick up a guitar, all that energy and emotion just fizzes out and it's really frustrating that I can't seem to connect my emotion/mind with the actions of my fingers
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
If you're in a rut like that, just take a break and relax for a while. It really helps to just step away from the guitar for about a week and focus on other things.
the minor pentatonic is nice (I forgot about it) thanks! Yeah Tse I've kind of stepped back from guitar playing, although not by choice (work work work), but it might be different if I actually step back to relax instead of not playing because I'm too busy. The thing is that this has been an ongoing downfall for the past 6 months or so... it's like I'm losing my passion for creating anything new =/
Epi Sheraton II or MIA FSR strat > wah Q535 > fuzzface > Keeley C4 > Qtron > Whammy > Liquid Chorus > Triboost > Hotcake > BigMuff > Small Stone > VolumePlus > SpaceEcho > Cathedral Reverb > LoFi > MemoryMan > BYOC vibrato > DD-7 > Vox AC15 C1
Mixolydian.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Song writing:
-Take a break
-Listen/Watch your favorite bands for inspiration
-Analyze a song structure and use your theory knowledge on why the use the chords where
-Try to write a song out side of your "normal" why of writing

Soloing:
-Take a Break
-Try working in chromatics, to get that "colorful chromatic" taste out of them
-Jazz standards
-Try writing licks over ii-V-I, iv-v-i, vi-ii-v-i Etc etc

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
thanks for the advice guys... yeah I just went to LA rising over on Saturday hoping to get some inspiration, and it did, but when I got home it all just fizzled out, but I like your suggestions maximumrocker, especially writing a song out of the normal way of writing and the jazz standards... I'll also give the mixolydian scale a shot =)
well do you know any theory...? not just scales...like all 7 modes that go together? or try string skipping on the pentatonic scale and come up with crazy licks. Also group notes in patterns of 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 etc... and use them descending and ascending the pentatonic scale...for example take a 3 note pattern ascending then descending come up with a 5 note pattern just to switch it up so its not your standard blues bends and shit. kinda does all sound the same after a while
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by cheeekens
So it's finally happened: after 5 years of playing, I'm coming to a rut... I wait anxiously until I can go home from work so I can pick up my guitar, only to strum a few chords and forget all the stuff I felt, all the stuff that inspired me to play blues. I've been working on cleaning up my blues, but I was wondering if there are any scales you guys would recommend that blend with the blues scales. I have the pentatonic scale, but I was looking for something a little more uncommon.

Also on a similar note, I've kind of hit a rut in my songwriting: every song sounds the same and I can't think of any words to sing.... any help on that? any mental/creative exercises that can help me tap into what I feel so I can play it? I definitely feel the blues, but when I pick up a guitar, all that energy and emotion just fizzes out and it's really frustrating that I can't seem to connect my emotion/mind with the actions of my fingers

New scales won't help. If you can't craft a decent pentatonic solo then you don't need any more notes until you can.

As for connecting the things you hear or feel to your fingers, that's a very common problem and one with a very easy sounding solution: listen more. Listen to the backing, listen to what you do and listen to what your head wants you to play. Ignore what your fingers think they want to do and really think about how to get the sounds from your head to the guitar. Really if you want to be able to do this well you should brush up on your theory a bit so if you hear a sound in your head you can put a name to it though.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Try the chordal approach. Basically hit all the thirds and sevenths and ninths and elevenths that you can.
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

I am trying to pick up on theory... I've mostly learned by ear, but recently I started making an effort to learn theory (but work interferes), so maybe I should focus more on theory for a while?

trashbag, can you elaborate a little more on grouping notes? I have a basic understanding of numbered notes (1, 2, 3b, 4, 5, etc), but aside from that, I don't know much more. Or maybe if I read up on it I'll understand you more...

I have started recording myself too and listening to howI fall into the same riffs, but in my head I do have different riffs. I guess I do need to get some theory down so I can put a name to it. Thanks guys

btw, the mixolydian scale was a breath of fresh air. It does help break away a little from my normal riffs, but in the end I think theory is the direction I should go in
Last edited by cheeekens at Aug 2, 2011,
Blues scales can be quite hip if you use them in different places. For example:

If you have an A7 chord (A, C#, E, G) a person will be most inclined to play A blues over that. However, if you use a blues scale using the other notes in the chord at the root (ie: C# blues, E blues and G blues) you will get some different sounds; sometimes it can be quite tense - depending on the feel you're going for. Personally, I think using a blues scale a 3rd up from the root sounds best.

I've also become quite fond of lydian b7 scales. It has an unusual sound and it takes while to get used to hearing it (I have found) because it has both a major and a minor element to it. It's quite a breath of fresh air if you ask me, if not a breath of wierd air.