ok so theres a really nice charcoal burst les paul supreme at a local guitar store.

and everyone knows supremes are one of the chambered LP models so theyre usually super light (8lbs or less right?) well this one is about 9.2 lbs

whats up with that?

heres the guitar (pretty well priced too)

http://www.theguitarshop.ca/features.php?id=970
If i had a guitar that nice i wouldn't worry about the weight at all.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
it's a hair over 9 lbs.

that's about right for a wider than normal les paul.

chambered doesn't mean light. it just means bored out in the middle.

it's not a custom shop guitar, so it doesn't get the lighter pieces of mahogany. those are saved for the R9s and other RI guitars.

not a bad price for a supreme though agreed.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Wouldn't it weigh more since there's no back routing for any of the electronics?

and the fact that the back is maple.
Im deff gonna try to get out there and try it soon, theres actually several guitars there I want to try (tons of Cu24s, a well priced LPC and one of the first Artist V models in canada)

and gregs, you say the middles just bored out, what do you mean by that? because lately ive been hearing that the chambering isnt to the extent that ppl make you think....
Quote by Seanthesheep
Im deff gonna try to get out there and try it soon, theres actually several guitars there I want to try (tons of Cu24s, a well priced LPC and one of the first Artist V models in canada)

and gregs, you say the middles just bored out, what do you mean by that? because lately ive been hearing that the chambering isnt to the extent that ppl make you think....

The chambered LPs literally have big chambers in the body of the guitar. Gibson also makes models with weight relief holes, which aren't nearly as hollow compared to the chambers.

The chambers are probably to the extent to people make it. People like to assume that the weight relief holes (like in the Traditionals) are the same.. it's not though.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
ok then so the chambering is exactly to the extent i thought it was to, and yea i know the difference between that and wieght relief

like this?

Last edited by Seanthesheep at Aug 1, 2011,
chambered.

that's what i call, bored out.

weight relieved.

that's the difference.

they started weight relief in 1982 iirc, chambering started much later, 2008 i believe but not sure.

standards are chambered.

customs and traditionals are weight relieved.

i believe studios are weight relieved, but the worn series is chambered.

here is a gibson class 5 les paul routing.

now on a supreme, it has a maple back over the back of the mahogany, so that adds weight to the chambered body.

if you tap around on the top of a LP with your knuckle, you can hear the difference where the chamber is. it's very easy to tell, especially on the worn series for some reason.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 1, 2011,
lol! ok then yea, i knew wieght relief already but wasnt 100% on how chambered a chambered LP is