Hey, so I'm in market for a new axe, $400 maximum. I've been playing my Squire telecaster (my first guitar) for 2 years now, and it's definitely time to move on to something much better and more suited for metal. Most of my guitar-playing friends have Ibanez's and I really love playing on them. I've done a lot of browsing and I'm really interested in getting a lower-end RG model, either the Ibanez RG321 (hardtail) or the RG350DX (trem). The problem with the RG350DX is that I don't trust the Ibanez tremolo bridge so I looked at some Jackson Floyd Roses which look better, and some people say the pickups sound better on the Jacksons. I don't know a lot about Jacksons and I would definitely need a strat-style body, I can't stand Flying V's or anything with sticky-outy bodies. Any advice and/or comparisons?

Cheers
Used Ibanez S470. You can get one for around $300, throw some new pickups in, and have a pretty good guitar. The ZR tremolo will destroy the Jackson Licensed Floyd and the Ibanez Edge III.
from what ive heard, jacksons in your range have solid pickups but horrible trems while ibanez in the oppositre, solid trems, horrible pickups. i could be wronng tho
You could go for a Jackson dkmg or dk2m used. It will play really well and Jackson trems are some of the best licensed trems out there. IMO. I believe way better then any ibanez trem. Ibanez has never done anything for me. They don't offer as much for their price range as some other companies do. That and they never sound good to me. You could also try some ltd guitars like the H series, M series or the MH series.
Gibson Thunderhorse
Jackson RR24M
B52 AT100
Last edited by King of King V at Aug 1, 2011,
ibanez has more to offer in your price range, especially used. i once owned an rg560 that i got for $400. i currently own an ibanez rg3ex1fm that i got for $200. all the jacksons i've ever seen in this price range (including used) just do NOT look quality except for the dk2. it's going to be a bit of a struggle getting used to the wider, flatter neck either way...ideally what you'd want is a charvel. anyway, out of those 2 i'd say get the rg321. i love original strat synchronized vibratos and hard-tails because of their incredible simplicity and adjustability

EDIT: OR you could look on ebay for ibanez roadstar II models...i had an rs315 and i got the best lead sound i've ever hear from it...it just wasn't versatile enough. the neck was like a slightly thinner strat, 9.5" radius...if it had been HSS and at least 22 fretted, i would've never got rid of it
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Last edited by ItsThatDude at Aug 1, 2011,
if it is your second guitar, i wouldn't recommend a floyd. they require lots of maintenance, and if you play metal, then im guessing that you drop tune or change tunings quite often. When drop tuning, floyds can be a real pain.

i've recently played an ibanez RGR321. they are really good for the price, i just wish i had the money to buy one!

Guitar Noob Since 2007

My Current Gear:
Squier Bullet Stratocaster
Squier Stratocaster
Line 6 Pod 2.0
Orange Crush PiX 12L
Behringer Hellbabe Wah
Behringer TO800
Behringer SM400
Ibanez is definitely the way to go. others may disagree but I find that once you get into their mid-range, the wood (body/neck) is all the same as the high end models, meaning you can change out the electronics whenever you're ready and end up with a pretty good guitar.
If you want a trem, get something used for sure. All new guitars under $400 will have sketchy licensed trems.

If you are going to get a hardtail, I would still go used. If you have some patience, you should be able to get a used Ibanez RGA121 or Jackson DKMGT.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Quote by ItsThatDude
ibanez has more to offer in your price range, especially used. i once owned an rg560 that i got for $400. i currently own an ibanez rg3ex1fm that i got for $200. all the jacksons i've ever seen in this price range (including used) just do NOT look quality except for the dk2. it's going to be a bit of a struggle getting used to the wider, flatter neck either way...ideally what you'd want is a charvel. anyway, out of those 2 i'd say get the rg321. i love original strat synchronized vibratos and hard-tails because of their incredible simplicity and adjustability

EDIT: OR you could look on ebay for ibanez roadstar II models...i had an rs315 and i got the best lead sound i've ever hear from it...it just wasn't versatile enough. the neck was like a slightly thinner strat, 9.5" radius...if it had been HSS and at least 22 fretted, i would've never got rid of it

just... no.

While I like jacksons a lot, and love my dk2m to pieces, the stock trem was awful. if you take it apart the licensed trem is EXACTLY the same as a lo-trs II. It will keep tune for awhile setup properly but the knife edges wear quick, the bar gets too loose VERY VERY fast (although some tape will fix this), it does not fit parts for OFRs (d-tuna if you block it for dive only, or floyd rose intonation tool), and also if you take it and compare it to a better trem when its out of the guitar, you can see/feel a MAJOR difference. I replaced my jackson licensed trem with a ping, which in comparison is much more solid, makes the guitar sound better because of density, and is an overall better trem.

but that aside, its down to personal preference related to tone and playability. I had an rg770dx reissue - amazing guitar - however I always felt my Dk2m was better (aside from the original edge trem which was awesome). I dislike basswood as a tonewood - I feel like its too generic, not deep nor bright enough, and relies too much on amp coloring/gain and effects for tone - just MY personal opinion. I also didnt like the feel of the guitar compared to the jackson's neck, and felt like the strings were more tense on the ibanez.

I always liked the S series ibanez guitars more than the RGs too.

my reccomendation is to go out, play through as many jacksons and ibanez guitars as you can through a similar rig to yours and see which one nets you the best feel/sound overall, and then compare the options at your budget level.

and a word of advice. lots of fanboys on the net who will tell you one licensed trem is better than the rest (a few are, gotoh, ping, schaller), but outside of that, they're all shit. hell, I love it when jackson fans say that about its trem as its THE SAME UNIT with a different stamp on the front that they used on the lowest end ibanez guitars awhile ago.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Quote by spiroth10
just... no.

While I like jacksons a lot, and love my dk2m to pieces, the stock trem was awful. if you take it apart the licensed trem is EXACTLY the same as a lo-trs II. It will keep tune for awhile setup properly but the knife edges wear quick, the bar gets too loose VERY VERY fast (although some tape will fix this), it does not fit parts for OFRs (d-tuna if you block it for dive only, or floyd rose intonation tool), and also if you take it and compare it to a better trem when its out of the guitar, you can see/feel a MAJOR difference. I replaced my jackson licensed trem with a ping, which in comparison is much more solid, makes the guitar sound better because of density, and is an overall better trem.

but that aside, its down to personal preference related to tone and playability. I had an rg770dx reissue - amazing guitar - however I always felt my Dk2m was better (aside from the original edge trem which was awesome). I dislike basswood as a tonewood - I feel like its too generic, not deep nor bright enough, and relies too much on amp coloring/gain and effects for tone - just MY personal opinion. I also didnt like the feel of the guitar compared to the jackson's neck, and felt like the strings were more tense on the ibanez.

I always liked the S series ibanez guitars more than the RGs too.

my reccomendation is to go out, play through as many jacksons and ibanez guitars as you can through a similar rig to yours and see which one nets you the best feel/sound overall, and then compare the options at your budget level.

and a word of advice. lots of fanboys on the net who will tell you one licensed trem is better than the rest (a few are, gotoh, ping, schaller), but outside of that, they're all shit. hell, I love it when jackson fans say that about its trem as its THE SAME UNIT with a different stamp on the front that they used on the lowest end ibanez guitars awhile ago.

...what's wrong about what i said? notice i didn't say anything about the quality of the trem system because for me that's a non-issue since i prefer the original synchronized trem. when i said quality i really was referring to build quality. anyway i suppose it doesn't really matter at all what either of us have to say aside from: go out and play guitars until you find one that makes you go "wow i can't leave here without this guitar". that being said though...i prefer jackson's compound necks over the wizard II that ibanez has on mid- range guitars and if i could've found a decent non-floyded one for the same price i bought my rg3ex1fm i'd have one right now. Actually i did used to own a jackson like that, a pc-3. great instrument
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Last edited by ItsThatDude at Aug 1, 2011,
Ibanez for me. I hate Jackson necks with a passion. Ibanez is more comfy for me. and i would take a nice LTD over that personally
Quote by ItsThatDude

How is the rg3ex1fm?
hehe jackson all the way man. most ibanezes in that price range are gonna have their lower end trems. u could find a nice used midrange jackson with a nice LFR (very nice trems, despite what people might say) any trem is usable with a proper setup.....ofcourse not <$300 gutiars. i use my LFR extensively on my jackson and it doesnt go a bit out of tune. once u read and understand the setup sticky, its no trouble at all. if you can get your hands on a pro sereise (dk) they come with duncan jb/59 or with tb-4 (i htink theyre called) and sh-4? something like that but they are all nice pickups.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED