Hello there all I want to build my own guitar from parts but I don't know where to start ? I'v been wanting to do this for awhile now. To have a guitar that I made myself. I don't know if I want to buy a Stratocaster or a Telecaster body. I like the Stratocaster I have a Squier at home but the Telecaster looks more simpler to put together less wires and such. What type of body do you guys suggest ? I would most likely buying the body and neck off Ebay. As for the other parts ordering them off Guitar Center or if you guys suggest another good parts site.
Have you tried or checked into the kits Carvin sells? they give you all the parts, everything pre drilled... put everything together, paint the body/headstock and you have your own geetar..
if you don't use the strat you've got, just upgrade all the parts.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
to be honest cost is about even, strat body bits are a little easier to get, the tele is very slightly more simple in construction, tbh, choose the shape you prefer, then try and find one with the correct pickup routes for the set up you desire
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Don't worry about the wires, they will be annoying no matter what, i would go for the telecaster body, in my experience they just add magical awesomeness to your tones, but go for a simple blot on neck, you can buy what ever you wan't go for the strat, the tele or even a Gibson LP neck.

Just read you are buying the body, then it should be fairly easy with both bodies.
Last edited by MetObsessed at Aug 1, 2011,
I would personally go with the Tele, but I'm pretty biased when comparing the two. Just like their shape and sound better.
My Rig: Gibson SG Menace
Gibson Les Paul Menace (Heavy Modded Project)
PRS Mike Mushok Baritone
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone Dot Deluxe
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Epiphone Worn '66 Wilshire
Egnater 15W Tweaker, 112 Cab
Originally Posted by Radtastic89
If I buy a Tele could I use a Strat neck on it?
Yes, but there will be a gap (that should be covered by the pickguard)
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I love both guitars, but I would personally go with the Tele.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by Radtastic89
A gap ?

Yeah, Tele necks are squared off at the end whereas Strat necks are rounded, so there'll be gaps at the sides unless you're handy with tools and know how to modify it.

Anyways, I say Tele every time. But that's simple preference. The construction really isn't all that different. In fact, a few things are more complex on the Tele than on a Strat, and a few things on the Strat are more complex than on a Tele, so... And the if you can read the wiring diagrams for one then you can read the one for the other- it's just a few more solder joints on one than the other.
^ This (although you could use some sort of filler).

However, you can't put a tele neck on a strat without modifications to either the neck or body because there's too much wood
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Sounds like you got lots of opinions on which body to get, I'd go for the strat. But then again thats just because I prefer strats. You can get parts from Stew Mac, Warmoth or All Parts. Theres others if you google them but those ones are the major companies. Some people seem to think warmoth is over priced but I wouldn't know because I haven't brought from them before. I'd recomend Stew Mac, I have delt with them and had good service.
You can get Warmoth Tele bodies set to take Strat necks (and vice versa).
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Alright thanks guys for all your tips. I think I'm going to go for the Stratocaster. Its going to be a very slow process I'll just buy parts whenever I have the extra money. But I will tell you this guy I will be asking you guys a lot of questions while I put together this guitar.
Last edited by Radtastic89 at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by Oscar Ortega
Have you tried or checked into the kits Carvin sells? they give you all the parts, everything pre drilled... put everything together, paint the body/headstock and you have your own geetar..

+1 the parts in a Carvin kits are actually good quality.

You might want to buy a cheap kit off ebay but you'll never get a good quality instrument out of those cheap kits.

You can also get quality kits from Ed Roman IMHO the Carvin kits are a better value...
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Quote by Willowthewitch
+1 the parts in a Carvin kits are actually good quality.

You might want to buy a cheap kit off ebay but you'll never get a good quality instrument out of those cheap kits.

You can also get quality kits from Ed Roman IMHO the Carvin kits are a better value...

Carvin kits have an excellent reputation, and they won't look 100% like a standard knockoff Strat. They have a sharper design that I personally like a lot.

Ed Roman doesn't deserve to get the business. If you look at the pictures of the kits he sells you'll probably notice that they look a lot like the ones you'd get at Saga and Grizzly and they probably aren't any nicer unless you pay him for the upgrades, which is what you'd need to do with any kit anyways (not the Carvin, though). Ed is a used car salesman at heart, don't buy into his marketing babble.