Okay - recently got a call to set up an audition with some funk/soul rock band. I had my initial audition today and it went well, they want me to come back in 2 days and I have to have these 2 songs mastered. But the trick is, I have to learn both by ear, with no kind of help whatsoever, and they wont even tell me what key the song is in or what the chord progression is. The only thing I do know is that the songs are in E Standard

Ive never been that great at learning songs completely by ear, but this is a working band and makes pretty good money, so it's definitely something I want to do.

If anyone thats really good at this sort of thing, could you either tab some of it for me, or at least give me an idea of what the key of the song, or progression is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVxuMC0PsLQ (this song is pretty repetitive and wont be hard to learn, but Im not exactly sure what notes are being played because it's got a lot of wah, but it sounds like open mutes, with some accents, but it's hard to tell from the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10VFIUOEJ1k (This one is a little more clear to see what's being played on the video, but I need this learned quickly so if anyone can help, Id much appreciate it. )

If anyone has got any advice, please give! I know I can learn it by ear, but its going to be a pain in the ass and Im hoping to learn it a little more quickly.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Aug 1, 2011,
i'm going to say A, D and G.

but seriously.

what a bunch of assholes.

doesn't seem like they want you in my opinion.

i'd probably tell them to go **** themselves.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
i'm going to say A, D and G.

but seriously.

what a bunch of assholes.

doesn't seem like they want you in my opinion.

i'd probably tell them to go **** themselves.

Thanks, since no one else seems to have any suggestions, looks like Im going to be experimenting and trying to match notes. Such a long, tedious process. But yeah, the audition I had today was with the singer, who's the owner of the band. He gave me like 2 or 3 cds of material Im supposed to learn in a few weeks, by ear. And Im supposed to play them note for note. But they do like me, and the singer wants me to know all the material before the actual full band rehearsal.

According to him everyone else in the band can automatically learn a song in 10 minutes, and play it note for note.

Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
i'm sure they can. it's just asshole-ish to expect someone who can't to do so.

but then again, he's a singer.

so he probably has no idea.

good luck, i hope it works out.
Well Ive been playing guitar for several hours every day for 8 years, and Im by no means a bad guitarist, and everyone always praises me on my ability to improv and my technicality and fluidity of my playing. I also have a good ear, and can pull a solo out of my ass over just about anything.

Yet it dumbfounds me to think that someone, in a few minutes, can learn & play a song note-for-note by ear. Am I the only one that thinks that is absurd? I mean, when Im watching someone, I can learn it in a few minutes with no problem, but to learn it completely by ear that fast, is it really that common that other people can do that with ease? I thought learning by ear meant going over the song over, and over, and over, and over, matching notes, as a tedious process.

B.t.w. the other members in the band is a drummer, the singer, and horn players/pianists/backup singers. They also fired the bassist along with the previous guitarist, so I cant even watch him to see what he is playing.

Edit: I come from a metal background, and E Standard is unfamiliar territory for me, which is only making it more difficult. But fortunately, I did manage to figure out the "Girl is Bad" song pretty easily, now Ill have to work on the other one. Maybe it wont be as hard as I think it is :\
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
grabbing the chord progression isn't that hard, imo.

getting the exact rhythm pattern depends on the song and what you are used to playing.

fills can be improv'd, as long as it follows right and hits specific notes in time it usually works fine.

also, i never play a song "note for note" the way the artist does. that's just boring and what ipods are for. i learn it that way but usually end up adding something to make it my version.

put it this way, if you are better than the last guy, nobody is going to care if you don't play it the exact same way. as long as the songs structure doesn't suffer and the harmonies are where they should be, everything should be fine.
Quote by gregs1020
grabbing the chord progression isn't that hard, imo.

getting the exact rhythm pattern depends on the song and what you are used to playing.

fills can be improv'd, as long as it follows right and hits specific notes in time it usually works fine.

also, i never play a song "note for note" the way the artist does. that's just boring and what ipods are for. i learn it that way but usually end up adding something to make it my version.

put it this way, if you are better than the last guy, nobody is going to care if you don't play it the exact same way. as long as the songs structure doesn't suffer and the harmonies are where they should be, everything should be fine.

I know, thats what I usually do. I improv the fills and solo, rhythm isnt hard to learn, and I can usually get a rough idea of the chords, but some of the effects and stuff make it hard on these songs. The song "Neighbor" wont be too hard, because just by listening I have a rough idea of most of it, but some of the individual notes I cant make out, but Ill just have to work on it.

But the singer says he wants everything the exact same, note-to-note, as what the last guy is playing. I think its stupid, but more than likely I can bullshit the solos and fills, and he probably wont notice as long as it sounds good. Staying in key isnt a problem, so I should be able to improv it easily. But if he does expect me to play those solos and everything the exact same, I think Im just gonna bail, it'd be a waste of time. :\
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
the whole thing seems kinda unreasonable to me. if you can't learn all of that the way they want you to then i'd be straight with them (i don't believe for a minute that any of them can learn something note for note in a few minutes). if they are going to be douche bags about it then you are better off not being in the band. i'd just explain to them that this isn't the way you are comfortable doing things. i'd also mention that if they wanted me it should be for what i could bring to the band guitar wise and not because i could be a copy cat.
for girl is wild I would play that main groove riff thing like this
|---10-10--9--10--------------------------------------|
|---12-12-10--12--------------------------------------|
|---12-12------12----14--12--------------------------|
|----------------------------------------------------------|
|-0-------------------------------------------------------|

that's just what I played along to it, not sure if it's right you can figure out the rhythms/patterns etc. good luck man, although yeah, they do seem like dicks/a bit full of themselves tbh
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by shredibanez24

that's just what I played along to it, not sure if it's right you can figure out the rhythms/patterns etc. good luck man, although yeah, they do seem like dicks/a bit full of themselves tbh

Yeah I came up with something similar to that, but Ill try it that way to see how it sounds. Thanks!
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Btw, can anyone figure out what is being played on that fill/rhythm that starts at 0:48s on the "Neighbor" video. I cant for the life of me figure out what that is. Im gonna have to make up some bullshit because I have no idea what the guy was playing. Other than that funky part I got most of the song down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10VFIUOEJ1k
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by shredibanez24

i just want to say i envy the hell out of people that can write out tab like that.
my brain doesn't work like that, i can read it, but there is no way in hell i could type it.
Quote by Lovecannon
Btw, can anyone figure out what is being played on that fill/rhythm that starts at 0:48s on the "Neighbor" video. I cant for the life of me figure out what that is. Im gonna have to make up some bullshit because I have no idea what the guy was playing. Other than that funky part I got most of the song down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10VFIUOEJ1k

I'm too tired to work things by ear but I got to 2 things that you could work out from..

I'm pretty sure the song is in Eb. At least I've been using E maj on my half step down tuned guitar and it sounds ok. So if I'm not too tired to do the conversion, that's what it's in. I tabbed it for E standard tuning for you so it should work.

So that sounds pretty close to me + there's like half a sec in the video where you can see the guitarist playing around what I wrote in the first tab. I hope you can work it out.

That's stupid what they did to you anyway I'd learn the songs just to show them you could do it and then just walk away arguing that you have a better offer
Last edited by 1990EAM at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
i just want to say i envy the hell out of people that can write out tab like that.
my brain doesn't work like that, i can read it, but there is no way in hell i could type it.

haha thanks I really appreciate that man
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
Quote by 1990EAM
I'm too tired to work things by ear but I got to 2 things that you could work out from..

I'm pretty sure the song is in Eb. At least I've been using E maj on my half step down tuned guitar and it sounds ok. So if I'm not too tired to do the conversion, that's what it's in. I tabbed it for E standard tuning for you so it should work.

So that sounds pretty close to me + there's like half a sec in the video where you can see the guitarist playing around what I wrote in the first tab. I hope you can work it out.

That's stupid what they did to you anyway I'd learn the songs just to show them you could do it and then just walk away arguing that you have a better offer

Thank you so much! Ill play around with it and see what I can do. I never really ever had to learn much by ear, because most bands dont usually just throw me a recording and tell me to learn it, I usually at least can watch a bassist or guitarist, or hell, even a pianist to at least get a basic understanding of the song, instead of just flying blind.

I really want to get better at learning by ear, what would you guys suggest I do to get better at it? And 1990EAM, how did you go about figuring that out? What are your tips and tricks? Do you just fiddle around with it until you get it right, or do you take a specific approach?
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Last edited by Lovecannon at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by Lovecannon
Thank you so much! Ill play around with it and see what I can do. I never really ever had to learn much by ear, because most bands dont usually just throw me a recording and tell me to learn it, I usually at least can watch a bassist or guitarist, or hell, even a pianist to at least get a basic understanding of the song, instead of just flying blind.

I really want to get better at learning by ear, what would you guys suggest I do to get better at it? And 1990EAM, how did you go about figuring that out? What are your tips and tricks? Do you just fiddle around with it until you get it right, or do you take a specific approach?

Well I dont think I ever practiced to get better at learning stuff by ear. Of course, I dont believe one is born with a special hability either. So I guess you should start by taking a song you like, slow it down with a software (I use Cool Edit or even Guitar Rig 4 only for that) and just start playing around and eventually you get better at it. At times, even your fingers seem to know where to land. It's pretty cool.

If you want a cool song, take My dearest by Neil Zaza for example. I got it all by ear and it's really confortable when you get each chunk by ear and end up playing the whole song

Glad I could help by the way
I'm going to for warn you. Even if you get help from the forums for this second interview (its bogus), they are going to expect you to jam by ear. I'd be careful about proceeding with this without being straight forward. I know you want to do this gig, but they could fire you easily for not learning by ear 'THEIR WAY.' It seems to me that they are very pompous, and they wouldn't think twice.

My suggestion is to be upfront, and tell them you weren't trained by ear. It's unfair to you to become a copycat instead of bringing your own flavor to the band.

I know when I joined my current band two years ago I told them what I expect to bring out of the band. I let them know that I was going to practice to become better. They are such classy guys, and they understood my opinion. Ofcourse, it was tough starting, but they were patient. Now, we work really well together, and I can't thank them enough.

Basically, I'm going to give you the Afterschool Video response, "Be the guitarist you want to be!"
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Classic
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50

Gas List

Gibson Firebird
Quote by 1990EAM
Well I dont think I ever practiced to get better at learning stuff by ear. Of course, I dont believe one is born with a special hability either. So I guess you should start by taking a song you like, slow it down with a software (I use Cool Edit or even Guitar Rig 4 only for that) and just start playing around and eventually you get better at it. At times, even your fingers seem to know where to land. It's pretty cool.

If you want a cool song, take My dearest by Neil Zaza for example. I got it all by ear and it's really confortable when you get each chunk by ear and end up playing the whole song

Glad I could help by the way

Yeah, I know what you mean about having automatic fingers, because I can stay in key and my fingers usually know where to land. It was pretty easy gettin the solo down, but Im more of a metal guy, so funk/soul isnt my forte
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by gregs1020

that's might be a pity.