I'm in the market for a Gibson but can't seem to make a choice. I played the 61 reissue SG and really liked it, but i'm having a tough time justifying $2k on a SG. Am I crazy? I like the LP's as well but I don't like the finishes as much. Do other people prefer the SG compared to the LP?
I have had a LP and it was nice for what it was, I have a G-400 and I actualy like it more than my old Gibson. But the depth of that huge slab of Mahogany ( the pre chambered days!), on a Lp is hard to top. I belive that the SG has a slightly brighter tone ( less body mass). If you want the 61 look at the Standard it's like $1200 new. I find it hard to justify spending more than $1500 on a guitar, but I also have 3 kids and a wife.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by jwoodbury3571
I'm in the market for a Gibson but can't seem to make a choice. I played the 61 reissue SG and really liked it, but i'm having a tough time justifying $2k on a SG. Am I crazy? I like the LP's as well but I don't like the finishes as much. Do other people prefer the SG compared to the LP?

paying $2k for a guitar that was initially designed to be "cheap" would bother anyone.

that said, custom shop SGs are nice guitars.

they make all mahogany les pauls, try a LP special. GC has them, nice lesters but with the fit and finish of an SG.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbuk2/3260483771/
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 1, 2011,
Quote by gregs1020
paying $2k for a guitar that was initially designed to be "cheap" would bother anyone.

Very good point. I never understood how Gibson could make them so expensive. It seems like the SG would be competing with the American Strat more than anything else.
Quote by W4RP1G
Very good point. I never understood how Gibson could make them so expensive. It seems like the SG would be competing with the American Strat more than anything else.

that is exactly what it was designed to do.

edit: and still does today. American Strats and Gibson USA SG guitars are about the same retail price.
^ Not always though. They were marked at about $1650 for a long time. When I saw them drop the price to $1200 about two years ago, I ran out and bought one before they changed their minds.

TS, the SG Standard is a great guitar at $1200. If you're hellbent on blowing a $2000 wad, I'd look at an LP Traditional. But, of course, do whatever you like.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
if you're considering an sg...consider the flying v and explorer as well. same build. very similar sound. i say this with experience
I'm a dude, he's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes HEY!
Quote by gregs1020
that is exactly what it was designed to do.

edit: and still does today. American Strats and Gibson USA SG guitars are about the same retail price.

Yeah I guess they are pretty closely priced. Gibson would actually be cheaper if you include studios and specials. I never realized SGs were so cheap.
Quote by W4RP1G
Yeah I guess they are pretty closely priced. Gibson would actually be cheaper if you include studios and specials. I never realized SGs were so cheap.

you can get a worn series SG for like $700 new i think? the regular standard SG is about $1k.

that said, gibson takes a lot of liberties with the SG. some are one piece bodies, others 2 piece. some nickel hardware, others aren't. it's just like any guitar where you have to play and see which suits you best. they aren't all the same, even though they are the same model, from the same mfg.

Quote by ItsThatDude
if you're considering an sg...consider the flying v and explorer as well. same build. very similar sound. i say this with experience

ted mccarty approves of this post.

+1.
i like the explorers as someoen else mentioned.

inbetween a lp and a sg in terms of warmth. great guitars.
How do you feel the Studio's compare to the SG's and other LP's? I see various reviews of the Studio's, some where people say they are just as good as the standards and some where they say don't waste your money. I play mostly rock, ac/dc, GNR, Tool, some Metallica.
^ working on a reply. but first.

Quote by ydgiuuwdg
Seems to do great! I recommend a look here! i touch myself at night

*reported*
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by jwoodbury3571
How do you feel the Studio's compare to the SG's and other LP's? I see various reviews of the Studio's, some where people say they are just as good as the standards and some where they say don't waste your money. I play mostly rock, ac/dc, GNR, Tool, some Metallica.

the studios are fine, just try enough of them to find one that plays nice. they can be hit or miss just like any guitar. people say that about gibson all the time but i think it applies to any mfg.

i'm not a fan of modern gibson pups, but the 490/498 are pretty versatile. certainly hot enough to hit metallica with the right amp. the rest of what you play would be no problem.

if you are up for swapping the pups out at some point, wolftone, bare knuckle, etc... plenty of options exist.

compared to a traditional, there are mostly cosmetic differences as well as neck profiles and the 57 classics in the trad. (or an older standard, which is more like a traditional, it get's confusing i know). but mainly, it's cosmetic. studios used to be a one piece body, now they aren't all one piece. the 2002 studio i have is a one piece body, now i'm not sure if they are. i know my 60's tribute studio is a 2 piece body, i saw one that was a 4 piece body. and that guitar played pretty nice actually for being a glued up mess of scrap wood lol.

compared to a SG, big difference. no maple top, different neck angle, neck, but i believe they come with 57 classics. i'd have to check, i haven't been reading hang tags in a while. tone wise, SG's sound more low middy than a lester. more raw if you can follow that term, there is probably a better way to say it.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 2, 2011,