I feel that i cant play any thing on guitar

So

i play guitar for about 3 years and when i pick up my guitar im playing the same thing over and over and the problem is i didnt study guitar i haven't learned any scale,and other problem is my fav band is SLAYER so i solo like kerry and jeff i try to write a slow solo but i cant

i need to start from the beginning what should i do?
Last edited by hashoom at Aug 1, 2011,
well you know your weakness, so yea start from the beginner. Are you doing your picking exercise? Those help a lot. Also, try playing other things instead of the same song. that's my opinion.
Well, i do know lot of songs but when i pick up a guitar i forget every thing

P.S sorry for the spelling mistakes!
Quote by hashoom

Don't you have the tablature that tells you what frets and chords to play?
Quote by you15
musictheory? All i see is piano lessons, how is that supposed to help someone in guitar?

music theory is universal.
That's why you practice things until it's ingrained in you.

How do you think great players remember all those licks/songs? It's called practicing them...a lot.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Quote by you15
musictheory? All i see is piano lessons, how is that supposed to help someone in guitar?

Music theory is not specific to any one instrument. A major scale on one instrument is composed of the exact same notes as it would on another instrument (though depending on how you look at transposing instruments/notation, there could be exceptions). A lot of music theory is shown as it applies to the piano for whatever reason, but that doesn't mean it doesn't apply to a guitar or an oboe or a viola de gamba.

For guitar-specific lessons on theory, check out Justin Guitar. Remember, that's just theory applied to the guitar. The theory itself is universal.
everything man hah just invest your time and go through the lessons you should know what you do and don't know
Quote by hashoom
What Should I Look For In The Site?

All the lessons on musictheory.net are useful in one way or another, might as well read them all top to bottom.
Quote by hashoom
just wanna ask how music theory helps me in playing guitar?

it helps you understand more about music, and therefore more about whatever you're doing.

if you don't know theory, tablature is just a bunch of numbers, and whether a note is a C or an Ab makes no difference to you, outside of your ear. it's extremely difficult to improvise well without theory, and if you become well-versed in it, it's an excellent compositional aid.

really, there's no reason not to learn theory. it can only help.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by hashoom
I feel that i cant play any thing on guitar

So

i play guitar for about 3 years and when i pick up my guitar im playing the same thing over and over and the problem is i didnt study guitar i haven't learned any scale,and other problem is my fav band is SLAYER so i solo like kerry and jeff i try to write a slow solo but i cant

i need to start from the beginning what should i do?

Here are my suggestions:

1) When practicing, spend a good amount of time on the basics. Instead of always learning songs, doing simple picking, fretting, legato, etc exercises help a lot. Concentrate on improving your downpicking and alternate picking. Play slow and make sure you play all the notes well and "in-time". Make up your own riffs, licks and practice them well, and use a metronome. Metronomes help a LOT.

2) Practice the 14 major and minor chords and try switching between them as fast (and as cleanly) as you can and playing them well.

3) Try to play music from other bands from the genre. Slayer plays heavy/thrash/speed metal, so similar bands would be Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax, etc. Playing music from other bands helps you improve faster, but it's upto you to make sure you play what you play comfortably (without pushing yourself*), in-time (evenly, as the music was written. Not too fast or too slow) and cleanly (all notes and chords sound well, not "broken" and "unclear").

*You need to push yourself sometimes when practicing. When playing songs you should be able to play them comfortably and cleanly, but during practicing, if you see you can play a lick easily without getting tired, you need to push yourself, play a bit faster and try to make it sound clear and clean, and that's how you gradually "raise" your level.

Take care and never give up. It comes with time my friend.
Quote by Geldin
For guitar-specific lessons on theory, check out Justin Guitar. Remember, that's just theory applied to the guitar. The theory itself is universal.

I've heard good things about Justin, but I'd be wary about most sites that specifically apply theory to the guitar. While it seems the most practical solution, guitarists seem to fall prey to the most ridiculous misconceptions and pass that 'knowledge' on as gospel. Like I said, I've been happy with what I've seen of--and heard about--Justin; just have caution when investigating guitar-based theory lessons.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by hashoom

Hum, you need to learn the songs with your guitar on, you know? :P
• '10 Epiphone Les Paul
• '96 Epiphone Rebel EM-1
• '10 Jackson JS32T Rhoads
• Vox Valvetronix VT20+
• Fame GTA40
• Zoom GX7.1u
• Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
• Jim Dunlop Ultex Jazz III 2mm
Quote by hashoom
the problem is i didnt study guitar i haven't learned any scale

You've already isolated the problem yourself. Like others have said, learn music theory. If it seems like a daunting task, you can follow a series of articles:

Josh Urban's The Crusade: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/JoshUrban/contributions/. Start with The Crusade Part 2, then to 3, etc etc.

ZeGuitarist's The Ultimate Guide to Guitar: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/ZeGuitarist/contributions/columns/

Obviously you don't have to look at both series of articles, because there'll be a fair amount of overlap amongst the articles, so there isn't much point.

If you're still not into learning music theory yet, just learn a scale pattern or two, then understand why they'll help you. It's better than not having touched scales at all.

Quote by hashoom
the problem is i didnt study guitar i haven't learned any scale,and other problem is my fav band is SLAYER so i solo like kerry and jeff i try to write a slow solo but i cant

Broaden your musical tastes! Just because your favourite band is Slayer doesn't mean you only have to learn their songs. Slayer's solos are pretty much random notes, so you're not going to find any pattern to knowing how to solo, or knowing how to compose solos.

Find something else that you like, then try learning them.
Last edited by triface at Aug 2, 2011,