How would I mic a ht40 blackstar with a add on cab. So it be ht40. With a 1 12 cab under nieth. How would I do this?
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
i think you point your mic in the general direction of your cab.

the end.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
it depends on what mic you have, and whether you own the amp or not
[Cool Post-N00b of the Pedalboard Thread]
Guitars:Fender Am. Standard Telecaster, Gibson SG
Amp:Fender Blues Jr.
Pedals:EQD Dream Crusher->Polytune->PH-1r->Fulldrive 2->Barber LTD->Catalinbread DLS->CE-3->Strymon El Capistan->EQD Ghost Echo
Dynamic mic right infront of the cone or a condenser mic across the room
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Not right in front of the cone, slightly offset I find sounds better
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
yes i bought ht40 im thinking of getting the cab 1 12 to put under for sweet looks and fuller sound. Jw how i would mic it since the speakers are right next to eachother. I v only miced 4 1o.

So its cool

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Honestly, asking how to mic an amp would be like asking how to do your laundry or how to cook your steak. Everyone prefers different things. Try different positions and then use the one you like the most.
a royer r121 is the best for that amp.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
In front of the cone, off to the side at the edge, close mike, far mike... they're all valid. It all depends on what you're looking to achieve. Which mike you use is open to debate. A popular mic is the SM-57. There are several other good choices, too. I like to double mike my cabs, on occasion. I'll use an SM-57 and then a Neumann condenser in a close mike situation. The Neumann really mixes well with the Shure.

What's your mike budget?
ATM I'm running thru Emul out into do box into pa for big gigs. If a mix sounds better than I'll do that. 99$ or less for mic

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
At $99, you're not getting a whole lot. I'd recommend going with the Shure SM-57. In a gig situation, with a PA, the condenser has more potential for feedback.
Quote by KG6_Steven
At $99, you're not getting a whole lot. I'd recommend going with the Shure SM-57. In a gig situation, with a PA, the condenser has more potential for feedback.

It will sound better than the emulated out? Is there a special stand for it?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
You aren't gonna get a whole lot for 100. Yes, you can pick up an sm57 for that, but you'll still need an interface.

To close mic that, you'd want to set it up close/touching the grille and for starters, position it halfway between the center of the cone and the edge. Than play with it from there and see how you like it.

But again, you'll need an interface. You're only other option is a USB mic like the Blue Snowball.
Quote by silly6-string
It will sound better than the emulated out? Is there a special stand for it?

Almost anything will sound better than an emulated output.

Yes. There are several options for floor stands. I have some old desk mike stands that I bought from Radio Shack years ago. These have a heavy cast base, with a 4" section of threaded pipe that accepts the mike mount. These work fairly well, as long as the speaker isn't too far above the floor. I also have some boom mike stands, which I also use. These let you aim the mic at a more specific spot on the cone for the perfect sound.

I don't let the mike touch the speaker grill. Any movement of the grill will cause noises to be induced into the mike. For close miking, I usually back about a 1/2" away from the grill. Some amps have removable grills, which allow you get right up on the cone.

Different areas of the cone will yield different tones. Experiment.
Quote by denied
You aren't gonna get a whole lot for 100. Yes, you can pick up an sm57 for that, but you'll still need an interface.

To close mic that, you'd want to set it up close/touching the grille and for starters, position it halfway between the center of the cone and the edge. Than play with it from there and see how you like it.

But again, you'll need an interface. You're only other option is a USB mic like the Blue Snowball.

interface for what? ALl i want to do is mic it to play live. You get mic hook it into pa end of story. I use a toneport ux2 for recording. I think thats what u were talking about.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by KG6_Steven
Almost anything will sound better than an emulated output.

+1

What kind of venues do you play? If they have a PA, chances are they have mics too and you won't need to provide one. This isn't always the case though...and I always keep a SM57 in my case just in case I need it. But to answer your question about how to mic your setup. You only really need to mic one speaker. It's going to sound tons better than the emulated output. The extension cab will give you a fuller stage sound, but really only one speaker needs to go out to the soundboard (unless of course you're mixing speakers/cabs...but then you'd need 2 mics ) Mic positions are a different story entirely...and that's based entirely off the amp and the tone you're looking to get from the speaker.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Aug 2, 2011,
Quote by denied

A friend of mine seems to have good luck with a Shure PG-57, it's about half the cost of a SM-57...Just sayen.